Al Horford 3rd team All-NBA ... per Bill Simmons

Admin

Lots more to read if you click on the link ...

Sometimes it's easy to say what one hasn't done or can't do rather than celebrate what the player is doing. Al Horford deserves the national praise that Bill Simmons recognizes (and, btw, it wasn't as if he debated it. Al was a no doubter.) and our own as well. Here's hoping that, in a disappointing and cloudy regular season, an All-NBA slot is afforded to a guy who has obviously earned it.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2011/4/13/2108792/bill-simmons-al-horford-is-all-nba

I like Al as much as the next man, but going off the eye test, I wouldn't classify him as an All-NBA player. Honorable Mention Team is more like it. He just has fizzled too much since the Bulls game. I like the jump shot numbers and all, but I would be much happier with more opportunities for even higher percentage shots and free throws. He was beginning to be known for his And 1 Bicep Flex: it's all but disappeared this season. His 3-point play and back-to-the-basket games have to improve a great deal this summer. But I would be proud of him if he made it like Joe did last season.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

I like Al as much as the next man, but going off the eye test, I wouldn't classify him as an All-NBA player. Honorable Mention Team is more like it. He just has fizzled too much since the Bulls game. I like the jump shot numbers and all, but I would be much happier with more opportunities for even higher percentage shots and free throws. He was beginning to be known for his And 1 Bicep Flex: it's all but disappeared this season. But I would be proud of him if he made it like Joe did last season.

Al is obviously injured. Look you define this second half by 3 things. Joe's injured, Al's injured, and Josh is injured. If all three were healthy, we'd be a problem.

Get him CP3 and Atlanta will have two superstars. Stockton/Malone 2.0.

Maybe I'm a little outside the player quotes loop, but I've never heard him mention his injuries since he's come back. He doesn't strike me as the type to throw that out there. I do kinda like that the team takes cues from Joe in that category. I like to live by "never let them see you sweat," and never let them even hear you talk about sweating. I can't give excuses for injuries when the players themselves say that it's not affecting their play. Do many lie? Of course. I think everyone is a little banged up around the league at this point. It goes without saying that Al takes a beating at his size for his position, even without the back and hip falls. I believe in him enough to fight through all of this and be a little more aggressive than what he showed this year. I don't expect 50 games like the one against the Bulls, but I damn sure don't expect the double-singles and punkings from Amare.

• Moderators

Horford is the only guy on our team with a shot at an All-NBA lineup for the foreseeable future (so long as he remains a C). He has struggled hard down the stretch but I see a case for him as a 3rd team center based on the entire year. He was outstanding in the first half of the season.