• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

JJ renews his views

tbhawksfan

LD made the bad move my not naming Joe alone as the captain....by adding Josh and Al and also giving them more shots changes the dynamics of the team mentality.

but thats what they fans were hollering for last year and now that they got what they wanted they dont like it .

Play with pride in the playoffs at Phillips and I would look for a lot of fan support if I was JJ:

Play without pride in the playoffs and the atmosphere is like Crank described:

Two game 4's at Phillips. Who thinks the difference in the crowd was due to the crowd just deciding not to support the contest and who thinks it was the team deciding not to contest the game?

The fact is the crowd should look to energize there team not for the team to energize them all the time . To say we dont like the way the team is playing so we quit gives them an excuse to quit .

We are not the Lakers the playoffs should not be something that this fanbase takes for granted. We should be rabid for playoff basketball no matter what simply because we understand what it is like to go nearly a decade without playoff basketball.

This may not be the team we want but its the one we got and its in the playoff and the fans should support it .

Maybe we should ask ourselves how happy would the Sonics fans be to have a team in the playoffs ? .....even our happy go lucky one :stirthepot:

• Like 1

I don't necessarily see anything wrong with what he said. I think some people are taking it differently but when he says he isn't worried about the fans I think he means that he has blocked it out so he can focus on playing the game and that's how it should be.

He is just trying to focus on the Magic and block out all other distractions, that's all there is to it. If he uses the doubt as fuel, then more power to him. I don't mind if he's frustrated, so long as he uses it to put up some numbers and hopefully take the series.

This is where JJ is really going to earn his paycheck in my eyes. I don't care what he says, just what he does out there on the court.

• Premium Member

Play with pride in the playoffs at Phillips and I would look for a lot of fan support if I was JJ:

Play without pride in the playoffs and the atmosphere is like Crank described:

Two game 4's at Phillips. Who thinks the difference in the crowd was due to the crowd just deciding not to support the contest and who thinks it was the team deciding not to contest the game?

As much as I love the comparison, I disagree. Atlanta fans are notorious for being complacent with winning. When we played Boston in 2008, it was jam packed.... but that's not because we were playing with pride. From game 3, 4, and 6.. we had much fan support because there was an effort made to fill the Phil for our first time back in the playoffs since Smitty.

But the very next year, vs. Miami in the first round, nobody came out. We had already become complacent. The same was true last year.

The same was true for 13 of the Braves Pennants.

The same was true for the Falcons after the superbowl appearance.

You just can't keep these fans happy.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

As much as I love the comparison, I disagree. Atlanta fans are notorious for being complacent with winning. When we played Boston in 2008, it was jam packed.... but that's not because we were playing with pride. From game 3, 4, and 6.. we had much fan support because there was an effort made to fill the Phil for our first time back in the playoffs since Smitty.

But the very next year, vs. Miami in the first round, nobody came out. We had already become complacent. The same was true last year.

It's hard to get a city that was born mostly outside the state to be fervent fans of a team that isn't doing something new and exciting. I honestly think this will cease to be as much of a concern in about 15 years, by which time (or so the demographics suggest) most of Atlanta's population will be native for the first time since the 60's. But until then, Atlanta is a large market city with a small-market size native population. Frankly, it's not realistic to expect them to turn out for anything less than a championship contender.

Edited by niremetal

You were clearly not at any of the Heat games in Philips. I made it down for 3 of the 4 games, they were crazy for each one. Certainly not Boston crazy (that was outerworldly!) but they were still supporting them big time.

The fact is the crowd should look to energize there team not for the team to energize them all the time . To say we dont like the way the team is playing so we quit gives them an excuse to quit .

Yeah, not like the fans stand for until we score our first basket or anything. Totally the fans fault for not getting into it....GTFO, are you Gearon or something?

It's hard to get a city that was born mostly outside the state to be fervent fans of a team that isn't doing something new and exciting. I honestly think this will cease to be as much of a concern in about 15 years, by which time (or so the demographics suggest) most of Atlanta's population will be native for the first time since the 60's. But until then, Atlanta is a large market city with a small-market size native population. Frankly, it's not realistic to expect them to turn out for anything less than a championship contender.

Are there any census statistics to back up a majority of Atlanta's residents are transplants? I hear that a lot and I just don't buy it. I just think Atlanta Pro Franchises are poorly marketed or not very marketable and have poor histories compared to other major sports franchises that natives latched onto when the Braves, Falcons, and Hawks all went through awful, prolonged stretches. Not calling anyone a liar or misinformed, just want to see some more facts on Atlanta's native and transplant makeup. Then we get into the muddy waters of statistics and how accurate and comprehensive they are. True enough, the east coast and the Midwest (Chicago most notably from my encounters) is represented well here, but the vast majority of people I meet are native Metro Atlantans.

Edited by benhillboy

Are there any census statistics to back up a majority of Atlanta's residents are transplants?

Even if there are, it doesn't matter because he doesn't believe them. :snowballfight:

j/k

• Premium Member

Are there any census statistics to back up a majority of Atlanta's residents are transplants? I hear that a lot and I just don't buy it. I just think Atlanta Pro Franchises are poorly marketed or not very marketable and have poor histories compared to other major sports franchises that natives latched onto when the Braves, Falcons, and Hawks all went through awful, prolonged stretches. Not calling anyone a liar or misinformed, just want to see some more facts on Atlanta's native and transplant makeup. Then we get into the muddy waters of statistics and how accurate and comprehensive they are. True enough, the east coast and the Midwest (Chicago most notably from my encounters) is represented well here, but the vast majority of people I meet are native Metro Atlantans.

The only place I've seen it myself is in an urban planning textbook, not anything online. I'm sure it's there if you care to delve deep enough into the census data, but I don't. Atlanta's not alone in this regard, but the stat was that as of the then-most recent census estimate, it was the biggest metro area (or CSA, to be precise) in the country the majority whose population was born outside the area (Phoenix was 2nd, as I recall). It once was LA and then Miami, but LA has become majority-native and Atlanta's CSA passed Miami's in terms of population sometime in the last decade.

Really, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that the metro area's population didn't go from 998k in 1950 to 1.76M in 1970 to 2.96M in 1990 to 5.73M this year through natural growth. Atlanta's population increased almost sixfold while the country's population barely doubled. That plus the fact that the metro area expanded through sprawl (28 counties in a metro area is insane) with very little coordinated planning (largely because it's tough to coordinate activities happening in so many different counties) is what makes it such a fascinating case study in urban planning classes.

Edited by niremetal