• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is it Them or Us (national media)

DJlaysitup

Honestly...was just watching Hannah Storm, Chris Mullen, and Michael Wilbon on ESPN doing their playoff rundown. They get to Hawks vs ORL and I expect them to pick ORL...but I expected a reasonable analysis of matchups/strengths/weaknesses. Mullen says as how he expects Dwight to have a big series, then adds that he expects Turkoglu and another of their guys to do very well. he dismissed the regular season results out-of-hand.

Then it's Wilbon's turn and his first comment is something like "are the Hawks dead?...do they have a pulse in Atlanta?". Now I know we didn't finish strong but that was kinda rude IMO. Then they banter back and forth about us setting the record last year for biggest playoff sweep - and that's IT! No mention of any of our players at all. I mean c'mon...they could at least mention that we have JJ and AL (two all-star players) on our team and another "impact guy" in Josh Smith.

So my question is...is it them or us? Are they just slighting us because they don't like Atlanta and it's the cool thing to do these days...or is it us, and we are just overly optimistic?

Personally I think it's pretty cr@ppy that they can go through the other series' matchups and discuss how Granger will have to come up big for Indy to have a chance and then not even mention matchups in a 4 vs 5 series. Don't these folks even know who made the all-star team this year?

:angry: :comando: :angry: :angry22:

Edited by DJlaysitup

It's both. The media is similar to the Squawks message board. The Atlanta Hawks are the team in the NBA to make jokes at, kid around with, no respect, etc. But yet, we are better than what people are saying. Squawkers do the same exact thing with Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, & sometimes Joe Johnson. If you go into the chat rooms during the games, you'll notice our fans are joking about players,being negative, and showing no respect just like how the media is with the Hawks team it's self. I don't know if I worded it right, but for those fans that do that, then here is your taste of medicine.

Edited by AHawks89
  • Like 2

...If you go into the chat rooms during the games, you'll notice our fans are joking about players,being negative, and showing no respect just like the media is with the Hawks team it's self. I don't know if I worded it right, but for those fans that do that, then here is your taste of medicine.

I get your point...but to be fair, the chatroom is kinda like a back room poker game, everybody is joking around and busting chops. Not much serious analysis there - it's more for fun. Craw clanks a jumper and he's the worst ever - then hits one next time down and he's the GOAT.

I get your point...but to be fair, the chatroom is kinda like a back room poker game, everybody is joking around and busting chops. Not much serious analysis there - it's more for fun. Craw clanks a jumper and he's the worst ever - then hits one next time down and he's the GOAT.

Yes, I do the same. But I've seen those same exact people go on to the same thing on the message board. It was just a comparison. It is what it is.

Hawks organization needs to do something to bring these fans to Phillips. I miss the team that had heart.

The problem is the they have never done anything to prove them wrong. You have to earn respect and we simply haven't done it yet. When you can make an argument that Josh SMith is your best player and you see the despite his stats even the coaches won't put him on the all star team you have a problem. When I watch nationally televised games the announcers say stuff about our players that just aren't true. Not picking on Josh but they often make the comment that he is a great perimeter defender and great defensive player. I sit there scratching my head going wtf are they talking about. This shows you that we are an afterthought. Its not about the Hawks but rather who we are playing. The HAwks don't even have the respect of the city yet along the media. I wonder how bad the attendance is going to be for the home games.

We got to destroy Orlando in 5-6 games and take Chicago to the limit if not beat them.

For better or for worse, the media generally overreacts to what happens late in the season. No one picks the Spurs to go to the finals because the Lakers were better late in the season. No one picks the celtics to beat the heat because the heat were better late in the season, despite this very same celtics team winning the east after doing poorly in the second half last year.

The hawks are 10-17 post all star game, with an average point differential of -5.2. By comparison, the pacers are 13-15 with -2.6. So the Hawks have by far the worst record post all star break, and all analysts end up overreacting to that, for better or worse.

yea i saw something similar on the nbatv analysis. All they were talking about was dwight getting in foul trouble/techs. They did not talk about ANY hawks players. When they went over the key matchup they said "good dwight vs bad dwight" SMH

They didnt do that BS with ANY other team.

yea i saw something similar on the nbatv analysis. All they were talking about was dwight getting in foul trouble/techs. They did not talk about ANY hawks players. When they went over the key matchup they said "good dwight vs bad dwight" SMH

They didnt do that BS with ANY other team.

Exactly. And they were saying we have Jason Collins now to guard Dwight. We HAD HIM LAST YEAR.

Respect?

No one respects a 44 win team, that's on A 6 game losing streak,

and facing the same team that gave them the worst playoff

beating in playoff history last year.

If they want respect ,then they need to beat a real playoff contenter.

They got more respect for almost beating Boston, than they

did for beating The Bucks and Heat.

Take down one of the contenders, then the respect will come.

I really don't blame them for not taking us serious. Didn't we lead the league in blowouts or something? Anyways this team has to gain back everyone's respect in the Playoffs. The National media were pretty high on us last year. Not as Title contenders buck as a sleeper team that can make some noise in the playoffs.

Edited by Deeman