• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Half Court Offense

RonMexico

It's quite obvious that in the playoffs there are less fast breaks and open court running and more half court offense.

It seems like we have no half court offense. We can kind of run it through Al at times but it seems to always get kicked out to an open Josh Smith. Other than that it's Joe or Jamal just running around with the ball.

My questions:

Can a team go all the way like this?

Can Josh Smith even fit into a half court offensive scheme? He can't slash with the ball or even really post up. How can he score points in the playoffs when we don't really run the floor?

It's so bizarre that he chooses to literally stand at the three point line and watch the game when I'm sure everyone and their mom tells him not to.

I guess i just don't understand why we don't run really anything in the half court. I'm not trying to bash i just don't understand what the problem is. It seems like immediately after a timeout and LD shoves a play in their face, they'll run something. Then after that they go back to the normal routine. So i have no idea if it's LD or what.

Thanks guys.

• Premium Member

It's quite obvious that in the playoffs there are less fast breaks and open court running and more half court offense.

It seems like we have no half court offense. We can kind of run it through Al at times but it seems to always get kicked out to an open Josh Smith. Other than that it's Joe or Jamal just running around with the ball.

My questions:

Can a team go all the way like this?

Can Josh Smith even fit into a half court offensive scheme? He can't slash with the ball or even really post up. How can he score points in the playoffs when we don't really run the floor?

It's so bizarre that he chooses to literally stand at the three point line and watch the game when I'm sure everyone and their mom tells him not to.

I guess i just don't understand why we don't run really anything in the half court. I'm not trying to bash i just don't understand what the problem is. It seems like immediately after a timeout and LD shoves a play in their face, they'll run something. Then after that they go back to the normal routine. So i have no idea if it's LD or what.

Thanks guys.

Josh has a pat Ewing like Hook shot that's hard to stop . Instead of using it, he prefers to sit on the three point line. I know at Sf, that's where he's stationed, but when Zaza went out and Horf moved to the 5, Smoove still lined up at the 3 pt line. LD has made use of a motion offense.. The whole key to the motion offense is to not use set plays... to through the defense off. However, there's still got to be discipline in the motion. Mainly, we have to have lots more screens set and there must be movement without the ball.

Our guys don't have discipline. They instead get to a comfort zone where they revert back to iso ball. Unfortunately, we run a 3 out 2 back motion with 3 men on the perimeter and 2 back in the post area. When we have our big lineup, this hurts because by design Smoove is where wants to be... outside. But Smoove never sets a pick or uses one (which is necessary for the motion). So instead, we see the one basic passing sequence of the motion offense... passing around the horn. We are also stiffled in the motion because we don't have a low post scorer. In our motion, Al plays high and the big plays low... And they don't screen for one another they may exchange positions but no true screen from 4 to 5. That's why you will see a lot of times that Collins or Zaza will be wide open on the high post. Problem is that neither of them can shoot. When Josh and Horf are the 4 and 5, Horf can shoot from high post, but Josh doesn't want any parts of the low post. That's what happened last year against the magic. Josh would get caught down low and he has too much punk b*tch in him to capitalize down low.

Honestly, if we don't get Howard... (who would be perfect in this kind of inside out game we run).. we should set our hearts on Al Jefferson. If we traded Smoove for Jefferson, not only would we contend, we'd win.

Edited by Diesel

• Premium Member

Damn D......... Just /end-thread why dontcha? Lol

Pretty much sums it up. I think Bob said it best. There isn't a PF in the league that could deal with Josh going over his shoulder to the left. He's too tall, too athletic, and too strong. He could dominate down there.

...and no, they can't keep this up. They'd NEVER get passed Boston's defense with that. And their offense is just TOO refined. Even if their shots werent falling, Boston would be better off against us. We have a shot at the ECFS though. The top of the East really isn't separated much by talent - and no, I don't respect LeWade as much as the pundits. Boston will own them. I'm also not afraid of Chicago.

Honestly....I'm more afraid of Average Joe, Jumpshot Smoove, isoball, & shrunken baskets.

Honestly....I'm more afraid of Average Joe, Jumpshot Smoove, isoball, & shrunken baskets.

Average Joe. Classic. Hopefully you won't mind if I steal that and refer to him as such henceforth, although his hard drive left, drawn foul on Dwight, and made free throws late was amazingly impressive for him. I couldn't believe he made such a tough, 240 pound All-Star-type of move in crunch time.

Damn D......... Just /end-thread why dontcha? Lol

Pretty much sums it up. I think Bob said it best. There isn't a PF in the league that could deal with Josh going over his shoulder to the left. He's too tall, too athletic, and too strong. He could dominate down there.

...and no, they can't keep this up. They'd NEVER get passed Boston's defense with that. And their offense is just TOO refined. Even if their shots werent falling, Boston would be better off against us. We have a shot at the ECFS though. The top of the East really isn't separated much by talent - and no, I don't respect LeWade as much as the pundits. Boston will own them. I'm also not afraid of Chicago.

Joe has been playing very well this series. Josh as bad as you guys are saying he is, is playing better than Horford. Smoove playing SF really hurts his BPG though. We need that.

• Premium Member

Joe has been playing very well this series. Josh as bad as you guys are saying he is, is playing better than Horford. Smoove playing SF really hurts his BPG though. We need that.

Actually, Smoove may be getting stats, but he's not playing well. It's that frustrating decision making that's hurting us. The main decision is that Smoove decides not to listen to Coach. I found it funny that Smoove got the ball (after being benched) and you could see he wanted to shoot the wide open three, but THOUGHT... and passed it in. He eventually shot and missed the three and went back to the bench, but this is the time where LD has to give Smoove better options.

1. Drive closer and shoot from the midrange..

or

2. Pass and move closer.

or

3. Play weakside.

LD has some fault in how Josh plays, but the majority of the fault lies in Josh. He has to be smart enough to know that his running hook works more often than the three.