• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It's Scary how good we could be if....

JackB1

• Premium Member

I with you JB1. Hawks are playing good enough to beat this garbage Magic team but they would be damn near unstoppable against the best if the played with more discipline. This is the reason I'm so negative after wins. I would love to be all willy-nilly heebly-geebly like others but I can't resist thinking about how this team will struggle when faced with less forgiving opposition.

Edited by NineOhTheRino
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

True and true, Jack & Dolfan.

Seems so simple, but if we could do those things we'd be in the ECFs. Not a doubt in my mind. We'd kill Chicago. Wed give the ECF's a good show too.

I with you JB1. Hawks are playing good enough to beat this garbage Magic team but they would be damn near unstoppable against the best if the played with more discipline. This is the reason I'm so negative after wins. I would love to be all willy-nilly heebly-geebly like others but I can't resist thinking about how this team will struggle when faced with less forgiving opposition.

I'm just handing out +1's in this thread like Hallowen candy.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Seeing this team play with fire and energy the past 4 games has really only shown up part of the Hawks potential.

We have won most of these games with effort and determination, even though we haven't played SMART. Just imagine

how good we could be if......

2) Jamal Crawford only shot when he was open and not EVERY TIME he has one inch of clearance between himself and the defender. When Jamal is

open and uncontested, he rarely misses. But, like Joe...when he FORCES it, it rarely goes in.

Teams FEAR THAT INCH... He has been busting Jameer's *ss with that 1 inch. It almost looks personal the way he goes on the attack when Jameer is guarding him. It's like he's trying to create a poster factory or a highlight room.. or a highlight factory.

I want to see more wide open shots too. However, knowing that we don't have a consistent low post threat, our guys will have to hit some contested shots.

Guys like Jamal shoot better after dribbling a couple of times and getting in that rhythm, force him to be a spot up shooter and you take away one of his skills. Being a spot up shooter is cool and all but late in this season, this hawks squad just flat out doesn't have that identity. This Hawks team relies on iso players to break down their opponent and either get a good look or pass it to the open man.

It's interesting because people say we don't have talent to win a championship but I disagree. we are built to be an exception like the 2004 Pistons with no superstar but about 4 guys who have all-star potential or are capable of playing at that level in Jamal Crawford, Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, and Al Horford.

Plus we are capable of playing some lock down defense between Hinrich, Horford, Josh, and Joe who are all pretty good defenders for their position.

• Like 1

What's interesting is nobody has mentioned an entity outside of the Hawks's locker room. Imagine if Marvin where actually a hungry NBA player? Josh, a relative youngster still bubbling with potential, a smart one? It is amazing to have guys this young who are vets but still with far to go. Al has passed them both in terms of progression and personal success. I hope they both can get it together soon and master their games and provide this team with things they should, but don't. In Josh's case, better rebounding, blocking, and shot and positioning selection. Marvin, more putting his head down and driving the hole Z-Bo style and playing with a purpose.

Josh Smith - 14.0 and 8.5 on 49%

Al Horford - 13.3 and 8.8 on 42.6%

Smith is playing sf exclusively while being guarded by a 6-10 player occasionally getting double teamed while Horford is being guarded by a 6-7 guy with no double team. With that said JS needs to fake pump, drive, and pass the ball or go up strong.

Williams is just lost in translation. Drew needs to sit down with him and work out a specific game plan where he can contribute more.

Edited by Kimsey
  • Like 2

Teams FEAR THAT INCH... He has been busting Jameer's *ss with that 1 inch. It almost looks personal the way he goes on the attack when Jameer is guarding him. It's like he's trying to create a poster factory or a highlight room.. or a highlight factory.

I want to see more wide open shots too. However, knowing that we don't have a consistent low post threat, our guys will have to hit some contested shots.

exactly JJ Reddick is a good spot up shooter

Crawford is a starter caliber sg that comes off our bench .

can people not see this difference.

We dont have a Dwight or CP3 creating insanely good open looks for our team . Jamal would be averaging 30 in this series if he actually could some open looks .

"We don't have the Jamal Crawford or a Joe Johnson, guys who can break you down off the dribble,"

Jamals has his warts but there is not a coach in the playoffs that would not take those couple of errant shots a game to reap the benefit of what he brings .

al horford needs to work on his own post game as well, because of right now it's nonexistent

Both Al and Smoove do because I dont think considered how hard you have to work to consistently carry a team offensively from the post.

They have to work on there footwork and positioning both in the low blog and on the pick and roll

exactly JJ Reddick is a good spot up shooter

Crawford is a starter caliber sg that comes off our bench .

can people not see this difference.

We dont have a Dwight or CP3 creating insanely good open looks for our team . Jamal would be averaging 30 in this series if he actually could some open looks .

Jamals has his warts but there is not a coach in the playoffs that would not take those couple of errant shots a game to reap the benefit of what he brings .

Both Al and Smoove do because I dont think considered how hard you have to work to consistently carry a team offensively from the post.

They have to work on there footwork and positioning both in the low blog and on the pick and roll

now I can agree with that !! they both settle for jumpers too much, even if they make the shot. Doesn't make it a good one

Edited by jsmoovefan

al horford needs to work on his own post game as well, because of right now it's nonexistent

Whatever.

I think I'd rather listen to Hubie Brown, who said that Horford has a very nice post game,

with his jump hook, step back jumper or grind it in under the basket. At least Horford

plays his game. There isn't one coach in the NBA who wouldn't take him on their team.

Smith would just be someone else's "problem child".

Josh Smith - 14.0 and 8.5 on 49%

Al Horford - 13.3 and 8.8 on 42.6%

Smith is playing sf exclusively while being guarded by a 6-10 player occasionally getting double teamed while Horford is being guarded by a 6-7 guy with no double team. With that said JS needs to fake pump, drive, and pass the ball or go up strong.

Williams is just lost in translation. Drew needs to sit down with him and work out a specific game plan where he can contribute more.

I haven't seen Josh doubled any more than I've seen Horford doubled. Maybe I'm missing it but I really don't remember seeing that be the case.

If you really want to talk about having it easy how many times have you seen Horford left WIDE OPEN for a shot like the Magic have left Josh, daring him to shoot, and he's taken it? Far too many times for my taste and that's part of his 2 - 11 shooting from 3 this series.

Josh has had a good series, but if he would give up that 3pt shot and do as you said "fake pump, drive, and pass the ball or go up strong" then he'd probably be having a great series.

And yeah Al needs to spend less time settling for jumpers, but considering he's the best in the league from the range that he likes to take them I am more than happy to cut him some slack.

I saw these numbers posted on a game preview

Of the 192 minutes played so far in these playoffs, the Magic have led just 42 minutes, three seconds. The rest of the time they have either trailed the Hawks or been tied.

Of the 16 quarters played so far, the Magic have had a lead at some point in only seven of those quarters. Even worse, they have led in only three of the eight second-half quarters so far. And twice already – in Games 1 and 4 – the Magic never led in the second half.

Of the 96 minutes played in Atlanta in Games 3 and 4, the Magic led a grand total of 2 minutes, 15 seconds. They never led by more than two points at Philips Arena and never longer than 1 minute, three seconds.

The Magic have had one double-digit lead in the series – 14 points in the fourth quarter of Game 2 – and they let it shrink to two before pulling away. The Magic led by as many as four points in Game 1, by 14 in Game 2 and by as much as two points in Game 3, but never led in Game 4. Conversely, the Hawks have had a double-digit lead at some point of all four games so far.

and yet the Hawks are catching major flack

but considering he's the best in the league from the range that he likes to take them I am more than happy to cut him some slack.

Hedo has been playing some good positional defense on smith. He can't back him down or get past him. On the occasion he does, dwight is right there to neutralize him. Horford has been great with his jump shooting but he is shooting 32.4% on his mid and long range shots. Regular season was great and all but the playoff are where the team is getting rated. He even said himself "If you are not hitting you have to do something different. Attack more, change it up.”

Looking at a slightly bigger picture:

Smith holds a +6.2 in scoring and +4.5 in rebounding over turk.

Horford holds a +6 in scoring and +5 in rebounding over bass.

Considering turk is a better offensive player than bass and plays 14 minutes more a game this series, I don't understand why certain people post "misinformation". I'm happy both guys are dominating their counterparts.