• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What will it take to win game 5

arhawkfan

• Premium Member

First, no crying. There's no crying in basketball! Seriously though, the memo is out. I don't know what it is, or how they do it, but I am expecting a the refs to slaughter us with calls. The free throw disparity will be ridiculous. So we can't afford:

• Technical fouls
  • Stupid fouls
  • Jaw-jacking and not getting back on defense
  • Head hanging

I think more important than Josh's shot selection is Joe's. I don't mind so much him trying to beat the double and get into the lane. His floater is gold. But those 1 on 3 fadeaways with a hand in his face are just as costly as anything Josh does behind 15 feet.

Same with Jamal. The little shake and shot off the dribble is what I want to see. It has to go down though... Those rainbow shots from the corner, not too interested in those. Even if he does lead the history of the NBA in 4 point plays. We can't afford bad, long, ill advised jumpers. I guess the point on our scorers is for them to avoid the "homerun" play like LD said. We need to keep it simple and play smart basketball until we can build a lead.

Softness... No place for that. Not tonight. We have given Al too much praise for him to come out tonight and just be invisible. It goes without saying that we need his jumper to fall, but more than that, we have to get more than 5-6 boards out of him. We were fortunate that Smoove showed up to play and owned the glass. Al put up a great offensive game...a great all around game really. But we're not getting the most out of that big body. Makes me wonder if his dad has been coaching him against physical play (we all know he doesn't want him playing the C and banging in the paint).

What we need from Josh is...well, exactly what LD said. I don't care how many points he gets. We just need him flying all over the place - crashing the glass, cutting for dunks, swatting shots, etc. He just needs to bring the energy.

We do all that, and we'll blow them out of the water.

If we do otherwise, we will be down 3-2.

• Like 2

The main thing the hawks need to do is keep smoove on the block and let him work his game inside out. This forces the bulls zone to have to squeeze down when the ball goes into paint. Which leaves the Trey ball open and you can also operate the pick and pop better with horford and Joe. Also do not play craw and Joe together because it knocks the offensive flow off. What do you guys think?

• Premium Member

First, no crying. There's no crying in basketball! Seriously though, the memo is out. I don't know what it is, or how they do it, but I am expecting a the refs to slaughter us with calls. The free throw disparity will be ridiculous. So we can't afford:

• Technical fouls
  • Stupid fouls
  • Jaw-jacking and not getting back on defense
  • Head hanging

I think more important than Josh's shot selection is Joe's. I don't mind so much him trying to beat the double and get into the lane. His floater is gold. But those 1 on 3 fadeaways with a hand in his face are just as costly as anything Josh does behind 15 feet.

Same with Jamal. The little shake and shot off the dribble is what I want to see. It has to go down though... Those rainbow shots from the corner, not too interested in those. Even if he does lead the history of the NBA in 4 point plays. We can't afford bad, long, ill advised jumpers. I guess the point on our scorers is for them to avoid the "homerun" play like LD said. We need to keep it simple and play smart basketball until we can build a lead.

Softness... No place for that. Not tonight. We have given Al too much praise for him to come out tonight and just be invisible. It goes without saying that we need his jumper to fall, but more than that, we have to get more than 5-6 boards out of him. We were fortunate that Smoove showed up to play and owned the glass. Al put up a great offensive game...a great all around game really. But we're not getting the most out of that big body. Makes me wonder if his dad has been coaching him against physical play (we all know he doesn't want him playing the C and banging in the paint).

What we need from Josh is...well, exactly what LD said. I don't care how many points he gets. We just need him flying all over the place - crashing the glass, cutting for dunks, swatting shots, etc. He just needs to bring the energy.

We do all that, and we'll blow them out of the water.

If we do otherwise, we will be down 3-2.

I have to +1 you. The fouls are going t be the major player tonight. Rose will drive the paint constantly looking for the foul. He's going to run and Jump into people. This is a good time to put in the new enforcer... ETAN The poet.... Let Etan foul hard as he wants to 6 times. Because Rose's targets are definitely Horf and Smoove. If Etan lays 1 vicious foul on Rose, it will change the Psychology of the game. Right now, Rose is happy getting the touch foul from people reaching in. He has yet been upended on the drive. ETAN the poet is the upender.

• Premium Member

Yup, the officials are going to blow the whistle when we look and breathe on Rose. If the officials are calling the game like that, it is really important for our guards to drive and our forwards to bang and force the officials to call fouls on the Bulls too.

We can't let the Bulls get 2 points at the stripe and come back and force a three. We got to match easy points for easy points and I think we will be okay because our guys are more capable of making the tough shots.

Contain Rose and get rebounds... That's pretty much the recipe for this entire series.

100% agree with ATLSmith. Make rose take 28 + shots and shoot 42% or below from the field.

The most important key is rebounding. If we are within 5 rebounds of Chicago, then we will win the game plain and simple. The games the Bulls won were due to them out rebounding us by 10+.

Rebounding for the Series

Game 1: ATL 38 / CHI 37 Win

Game 2: ATL 39 / CHI 58 Loss

Game 3: ATL 34 / CHI 47 Loss

Game 4: ATL 36 / CHI 37 Win

See a trend here? :saythat:

We are not good enough to beat the bulls if we give them 10-20 more possesions than we have. Both teams turn the ball over equally, so turnovers don't move the meter.

Edited by ATLien_
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Considering the trend of BS calls will continue... and that this happens only because of Rose...

1. First and foremost: When the refs start with their BS (probably at the very beginning of the game), let Rose know we aren't happy with all the bogus calls he gets from Stern's crooked gang. Make every and each foul count. Make Rose think thrice before driving to the hoop. We have plenty of big guys in the roster who could do this job,

2. Rebound like crazy men when he decides to shoot jumpers.

We just have to play smart and rebound. If we do those two things, CHI has no chance because we are the more talented team. When Smith or Horford take a long jumper, Joe and Teague need to get back on defense to prevent those easy fastbreak points. That allows Horf and Smoove to Crash the offensive boards. We must box out. We must also not turn the ball over. Protect the ball and rebound with effort.

You guys have been b*tching about the refs all series assuming they are going to call ticky tack fouls but up to this point they haven't.

Smoove gets hammered trying to rebound the ball and it never gets called leading to uncontested shots for the bulls at times but outside of that we've had nothing to complain about thus far.

1. Josh needs to be all over the court on offense and defense - high energy please

2. Al needs to be hitting his 15 footer or make his move quick to the basket and get in the paint and grab some rebounds

3. Joe needs to be aggressive getting into the paint - good things happen when he does.

4. Team needs to play faster with Teague pushing the pace (too many times Teague is running and the rest of the team is jogging up court)

5. Teague just needs to keep doing what he is doing to impact the team positively

6. Marvin needs to be.......can't think of anything....at this point I'll take whatever he gives.

The key is the Hawks MUST get off to a good start. We can't behind early or we will fold as usual. If we can keep it close by halftime we have a good shot at winning this game.

• Premium Member

You guys have been b*tching about the refs all series assuming they are going to call ticky tack fouls but up to this point they haven't.

Smoove gets hammered trying to rebound the ball and it never gets called leading to uncontested shots for the bulls at times but outside of that we've had nothing to complain about thus far.

I'm not a guy that complains about refs. I think players should just shut up and move on - and I LOVE the new rules this year tightening up on jaw-jacking. If you'll notice, I did call the refs out in this thread, but I also said that the #1 priority is just playing through it.

Regardless, that last game had some atrocious officiating - with a senior official admitting he made a mistake. A mistake that went in our favor, but a mistake non-the-less. I expected BS calls and free throw disparity with the Magic. Whoever plays Miami, you already know it's coming. I've watched the "superstar bias" for years - hell commentators used to say "he's the star and he'll get that call." The refs did us no favors last game and I expect more of the same.

You can bet that Larry Drew does too.