• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Where does Dirk fall in basketball history greatness?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Dirk has made it to two finals Allen Iverson style.

If he wins this one, I say he has to be given consideration as a top 50 of all time. Maybe top 25?

If he wins this one, I say he has to be given consideration as a top 50 of all time. Maybe top 25?

I guess sense I brought him up..

Where does Iverson fall?

Dirks has had a better career than KG.

With regards to who is the best player, it is hard to tell because both played very different styles. Depending on the team, KG or Dirk would be better. KG was a much better defender and Dirk a much better scorer.

But if we are talking about better career in terms of accolades, than KG has the edge (KG is 2 years older)

KG vs Dirk

All star games - 14 v 10

1st team all nba - 4v4

2nd team all nba - 3 v 5

3rd team all nba - 2 v 2

1st team defensive - 9 v 0

2nd team defensive - 2 v 0

all star mvp - 1 v 0

Defensive player of the year - 1 v 0

MVP - 1 v 1

MVP runner up - 2 v 0

Championships - 1 v possibly 1

nba finals appearances - 2 v 2

League leader in PER- 2v2

League leader in rebounding - 4 v 0

As you can see, KG has more accomplishments than Dirk. As I said, that doesn't mean he is better. If I needed a scorer I would pick Dirk, a defender KG. But in terms of career recognition, KG has the edge. Only thing Dirk has more than KG is 2nd team all nba.

Edited by dlpin

Just barely makes the Top 50 list. Great scorer and that's about it.

By that you mean THE BEST shooting 7'er of all time right? When Larry Bird says that you're one of the greatest players ever then that says a hell of a lot about you and Dirk is without a doubt among the greats of the game since there's never been another player like him.

I guess sense I brought him up..

Where does Iverson fall?

I'd rank Dirk far above Iverson. Both players are quite unique. Dirk is the most versatile 7 footer ever. No one has ever seen a 7 footer like him. Considering Dirk beat both Wade and James (in their primes) for his title he deserves a lot of credit in my book. Dirk did not have a Robin on his team. Dirk did not heven have another allstar on his team. Has there ever been a team with only 1 allstar that won the NBA Title before ?

Iverson is the best scorer ever to be 6'1'' but that alone does not make him top 25 ever in my book. that is exclusive list righ there.

I'd put both players in the top 50 of all time but would have a hard time fitting either into the top 25. Dirk would be close though and very good arguement could be made that puts him in hte top 25 ever.

I'd have Dirk behind Duncan, K. Malone, and Petit. I'd probably have Dirk tied with KG. KG was very unique as well and a heck of defender but was never really a legit #1 offensive option that you expect out of a top 25 player of all time.

Edited by coachx

By that you mean THE BEST shooting 7'er of all time right? When Larry Bird says that you're one of the greatest players ever then that says a hell of a lot about you and Dirk is without a doubt among the greats of the game since there's never been another player like him.

Absolutely the best shooting 7'er of all time. Undoubtedly among the greats of the game. However, I think there are still about 30-45 players in NBA/Pro basketball history who have been better and that's not a knock on him.

Edited by EazyRoc

I'd rank Dirk far above Iverson. Both players are quite unique. Dirk is the most versatile 7 footer ever. No one has ever seen a 7 footer like him. Considering Dirk beat both Wade and James (in their primes) for his title he deserves a lot of credit in my book. Dirk did not have a Robin on his team. Dirk did not heven have another allstar on his team. Has there ever been a team with only 1 allstar that won the NBA Title before ?

Iverson is the best scorer ever to be 6'1'' but that alone does not make him top 25 ever in my book. that is exclusive list righ there.

I'd put both players in the top 50 of all time but would have a hard time fitting either into the top 25. Dirk would be close though and very good arguement could be made that puts him in hte top 25 ever.

I'd have Dirk behind Duncan, K. Malone, and Petit. I'd probably have Dirk tied with KG. KG was very unique as well and a heck of defender but was never really a legit #1 offensive option that you expect out of a top 25 player of all time.

Jason Terry averaged 18 ppg on nearly 50% shooting, I think the qualifies as a Robin. Dirk had a pretty good supporting cast if you ask me. They all understood their roles perfectly, and played great team defense. Talent-wise they might not had been all that, but it's hard to argue that Dirk didn't have a very smart, good, and veteran supporting cast. TD is the only player I can think of off the top of my head who has won a championship without another All Star. Either way it's quite an accomplishment and just a testament to how much Dirk matured as a player and a leader.

I do disagree with you in regards to KG vs. Dirk. KG was definitely the better player, because he may not have been an #1 option offense, but he still was a capable 20 ppg scorer. He was also one the best defenders, passer, and rebounders as his position in his prime. Dirk's only claim to fame is that he is the (undisputed) best shooting 7'er ever. He was only an average rebounder and didn't wow anyone with his defense.

Jason Terry averaged 18 ppg on nearly 50% shooting, I think the qualifies as a Robin. defense.

Terry is a 6'2'' SG who has never made an allstrar game. Typically if a 1 time 6th man of the year is your 2nd best player that is not the kind of Robin that gets you an NBA Championship based on past precedence.

Here are the Robins of past NBA Champions:

2010 - Gasol

2009 - Gasol

2008 - Pierce, Allen, Garnet (I'm not sure who is Batman and who is Robin here)

2007 - Ginobli, Parker (both allstars)

2006 - Shaq

2005 - Ginobli, Parker again

2004 - R. Wallace

2003 - Ginobli and Parker again

2002 - Shaq (I think this is the year Kobe and Shaq switched roles)

2001 - Kobe

2000 - Kobe

1999 - D. Robinson

1998 - Pippen

1997 - Pippen

1996 - Pippen

1995 - Drexler

Edited by coachx

Terry is a 6'2'' SG who has never made an allstrar game. Typically if a 1 time 6th man of the year is your 2nd best player that is not the kind of Robin that gets you an NBA Championship based on past precedence.

2010 - Gasol

2009 - Gasol

2006 - Shaq

2004 - R. Wallace

2001 - Kobe

2000 - Kobe

1999 - D. Robinson

1998 - Pippen

1997 - Pippen

1996 - Pippen

1995 - Drexler

I agree with you that typically JT wouldn't be what one would consider a Robin. However, he is definitely a talented scorer. He has enough talent to be the Robin on a lot of teams. In fact, I think if you swap on JT with Wade..the Heat might even be a better team (don't want to divert the topic with this assertion though). I don't mean to sound cliche, but I don't see the Mavericks making it to or winning the Finals without him. His stats are comparable to Ginobili's and Allen's, but are better than Wallace's.

2010 - Gasol

2009 - Gasol

2006 - Shaq

2004 - R. Wallace

2001 - Kobe

2000 - Kobe

1999 - D. Robinson

1998 - Pippen

1997 - Pippen

1996 - Pippen

1995 - Drexler

2003 Spurs Ginobili was a rookie scoring less than 10 a game and Tony Parker was a 20 year old who shot 40% in the playoffs. Dirk's postseason was awesome, but he definitely had a better supporting cast than what Duncan had in 99 and 03. Also had better supporting cast than Olajuwon had in 94.

• Like 1