• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Money = No Object

Diesel

Money = No Object  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

The question is giving an unlimited budget, but having to pick one starter and lose whoever else is at that position. Who is the guy? Who fits this team? Not a start over. But if a tweak was made, who could take that position and make us better going into the future.

I'd appreciate some comment as to why you believe certain guy would fit this position over others for this team.

• Moderators

I am not sure if this counts as cheating, but I see Horford as more successful at the center position than PF but he needs to be paired with a big PF to make that contender worthy. I would drop Teague and Kirk to pick up Paul and drop Josh Smith to pick up Pau Gasol.

The rationale:

Paul

JJ

Marvin

Gasol

Horford

Paul is the best PG in the game. He is well rounded and plays both sides of the ball. Once you pair him with JJ, Marvin and Horford, then you need size on the interior and low post scoring ability. Gasol is 7 feet tall and averages 19 and 10. He can play both the low and high post offense and with Horford in the high post, he would bring a new dimension to this team's offense. Horford and Gasol together would be very effective on the boards as well. Although he is at his peak and has no room except to go down in a few years, a team with Paul and JJ should be ready to challenge for a title today.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I am not sure if this counts as cheating, but I see Horford as more successful at the center position than PF but he needs to be paired with a big PF to make that contender worthy. I would drop Teague and Kirk to pick up Paul and drop Josh Smith to pick up Pau Gasol.

The rationale:

Paul

JJ

Marvin

Gasol

Horford

Paul is the best PG in the game. He is well rounded and plays both sides of the ball. Once you pair him with JJ, Marvin and Horford, then you need size on the interior and low post scoring ability. Gasol is 7 feet tall and averages 19 and 10. He can play both the low and high post offense and with Horford in the high post, he would bring a new dimension to this team's offense. Horford and Gasol together would be very effective on the boards as well. Although he is at his peak and has no room except to go down in a few years, a team with Paul and JJ should be ready to challenge for a title today.

Actually, I'm not saying both moves at once. Just at this position if there was a one time change (like Amnesty) and we could that player who would it be if it were a PG or who would it be if it were a PF.

So your two lineups are:

Paul, JJ, Marvin, Josh, and Horf.

and

Hinrich, JJ, Marvin, Gasol, Horf.

• Moderators

Actually, I'm not saying both moves at once. Just at this position if there was a one time change (like Amnesty) and we could that player who would it be if it were a PG or who would it be if it were a PF.

So your two lineups are:

Paul, JJ, Marvin, Josh, and Horf.

and

Hinrich, JJ, Marvin, Gasol, Horf.

Got it. For this team, the upgrade from Josh to Gasol isn't as meaningful as the upgrade from Hinrich to Paul so I'd take that move. With Paul as the #1, JJ becomes a more effective off the ball player (think of his effienciency in Phoenix) and the bigs get to finish the break and get fed in better positions much more often. I think Paul improves everyone on the team on offense and seriously upgrades the perimeter D (even a marginal improvement for Marvin).

• Moderators

Picked DWill and Gasol.

I think Williams is comparable to Paul and should be healthier for more seasons.

Gasol is the best PF you listed on there, so with money not being an issue...

Per D's post, you can only pick one!

Picked DWill and Gasol.

I think Williams is comparable to Paul and should be healthier for more seasons.

Gasol is the best PF you listed on there, so with money not being an issue...

Same here. I think Paul is a better "pure" PG than Dwill but JJs ability to serve as a part time playmaker gives us more flexibility at that spot. I think Williams is a better offball player than CP3. I also think Gasol is the no-brainer of that 2nd group. He too hasn't had the opportunity to play with a PG of CP3 or Dwill's caliber.

PG Dwill

SG JJ

SF Marvin

PF Gasol

C Horf

That would be a very versatile Big 3 + Horf. Beating that team 4 out of 7 games would be a serious challenge.

* I just realized we could only pick one.

I still go with Dwill in that case.

PG Dwill

SG JJ

SF Marvin

PF Smoove

C Horf

We have our 1 and 1A in Dwill and Joe as well as two complimentary Fs. That team would need some defensive minded , rebounding bigs to contend though.

Edited by 99PROBL3MS

• Premium Member

Per D's post, you can only pick one!

No, you are to pick 2.

It's just going to yield 2 different lineups. The poll examines positions.

One interesting note is who is our best PF. There's a minority that beleives Gasol is better than Horf or Smoove and that Gasol is a good match for Horf. I would rather see Little Brother Gasol and Smoove than Big Brother Gasol and Horf.

At PG, nobody believes that Hinrich or Teague is a better fit than Paul or Deron. Maybe I should have left off Paul?

If money is no object, here's my lineup.

PG: CP3

SG: Kobe

SF: LeBron

PF: Amare Stoudamire

C: Dwight

sixth man: Kevin Durant

But money is an object, so this whole thing is kind of silly. The Hawks have a 0.001% chance of getting any of those players in the poll who aren't already on the team.

Edited by atlbraves93
  • Like 1

Jeff Teague plays defense and could be just as deadly as "he who's name shall not be mentioned" will on offense. Chris Paul has proved not to be that durable and Teague has potential to be a better Rondo (Yeah I said it !!). I'll take that plus he knows our system and has a hunger to be great !!

Josh Smith just getting his head together. He knows what he is capable of but is bound by his weaknesses. His weakness isn't jump shooting, It's taking those shots when there were better shots and plays available. Josh can beat you all over the floor defensively and offensively. Offensively when he's playing within the game he is unstoppable. He is a good and willing passer and ball handler for his size. He can hit a jump shot/three pointer when he is playing within the flow of the offense.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Before it gets away from me...

I wanted to tell the purpose of this poll.

This was a poll to guage what we feel like we need at two positions that are question marks moving forward.

I tried to integrate the two polls with different types of players.

1. Starters

2. Possible starter on team.

3. Defensive.

4. Offensive

5. Volume scorer (different from offensive).

And the majority of the people would then say what Skillset is most neccessary for that position.

I would have done it for all positions but I didn't want to muddy the water too much AND

Many people probably feel like our other players are not going anywhere.

But it's interesting to see what the Squawk say we need.

For PG,

Paul then Deron over everybody including Rondo.

Me personally, I would think Rondo and his great defense and good floor generalship would be good. But most people say that they want a strong floor general who can convert themselves into a scorer.

p.s. It's also interesting that Teague didn't get a lot of votes. I mean defense and youth with scoring ability but I understand because Paul is a star and Money is no object.

For PF.

Smoove over Horf then Gasol and others.

Smoove is the starter and many people like what he brings. Horf would be a pick and pop PF. Gasol would definitely be a better scorer, poorer rebounder than the two. Ibaka would be the best defender and he received a vote. Boozer, got no votes.. Neither did Milsap. Those two are bruiser but Boozer is more Horflike in that he's pick and pop but Boozer does hit a lot of low post shots. It's interesting that nobody thought that Boozer could be better than Horf but Horf got more votes. Maybe those are some hometeam votes or maybe because of Age?

Edited by Diesel