• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pitt, Orangemen join the ACC

capstone21

• Admin

Man the college conferences are really changing out there. Big East, Big 12, ACC, Pac 12.

ACC is about to become the dominant basketball conference again. Rumor is UConn also wants to join. It is really more about football but strickly from a basketball standpoint ACC got that much stronger. If UConn does come too I wonder who the 4th team to join will be (they will need another team to even it out).

From what I've heard it'll b Rutgers as the other team if uconn comes....n yea this definitely makes the acc the best basketball conference by far n i can't wait to see these games. N if the pac 12 can actually add Texas ou osu n Texas tech its going to get very interesting

• Moderators

You really have to wonder if the Big 12 and Big East will survive. It seems like only one of them will be able to continue as a major conference and only if that league picks up the other's scraps.

From a purely sports perspective, UConn seems like a great addition for the ACC. Rutgers seems like a great one from a TV/marketing standpoint.

I also saw the ACC raised its buyout to $20M to try to avoid the SEC poaching ACC teams.

This will be an interesting couple of years as this shakes out.

West Virginia and Texas A&M to the SEC is a sure thing now too.

Big 12 / Big East Merger : (Assuming UConn and Rutghers bolt for the ACC and West Virginia to the SEC)

Kansas

Kansas St

Missouri

Baylor

Iowa St.

South Florida

Cincinatti

Louisville

Texas Christian

Villanova - joinging Div I football soon (currently Div II football)

St Johns - no football

Georgetown - no football

Marquette - no football

Seton Hall - no football

Providence - no football

Edited by coachx

I'm not sure that West Virginia to the SEC is a done deal. West Virginia isn't a huge t.v. market. Add on top of that their weak academics and you will struggle with them. Can they put out a decently competitive team in several sports? Yes, but that doesn't run the conference.

I would figure Texas A&M and Missouri would be the SEC's first choices. Just move Auburn to the East and add the two of them to the West. If you are going to further expand to 16 teams total, then it is more interesting about who gets an invite. They could always try and pluck some ACC teams away.

• Moderators

I'm not sure that West Virginia to the SEC is a done deal. West Virginia isn't a huge t.v. market. Add on top of that their weak academics and you will struggle with them. Can they put out a decently competitive team in several sports? Yes, but that doesn't run the conference.

I would figure Texas A&M and Missouri would be the SEC's first choices. Just move Auburn to the East and add the two of them to the West. If you are going to further expand to 16 teams total, then it is more interesting about who gets an invite. They could always try and pluck some ACC teams away.

Agreed. I think Missouri would be the #1 target.

• 2 months later...

This is great for ACC basketball but it just waters down their football even more. Considering the ACC is 2-11 in BCS Bowls and has NEVER had a team EARN an at large BCS Bowl birth EVER. The ACC's only BCS Bowl wins came when they got matched up vs. the pathetic Big East in 1999 and 2008.

The pride of their conference ,Virginia. Tech, is scared of decent scheduling.......look at their non conference schedule ( App State, Ark St., Marshall, & East Carolina).