• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks offered for CP3

Joker

How did he strong arm them and limit their options? He didn't want to sign an extension at this point, but the Hornets got plenty of offers from teams that Paul reportedly didn't want to sign with, so that didn't stop anyone. He didn't force a deal, and he never coasted. He simply didn't want to sign an extension. The only reason he was going to end up with the Lakers, instead of, say, the warriors or the celtics (teams that he reportedly didn't want to resign with, but were making offers anyways) is because for god knows what reason the Rockets were willing to get screwed over to help the lakers. Now Paul will leave as a free agent at the end of the season, and pick whoever he likes.

He was using the trade to his advantage...Get out of here really? He said he would not extend w/ certain teams so they would not make offers..He is not gonna be able to join the Lakers because of their cap situation-further more the Warriors offer was far superior to this garbage

• Like 1

He was using the trade to his advantage...Get out of here really? He said he would not extend w/ certain teams so they would not make offers..He is not gonna be able to join the Lakers because of their cap situation-further more the Warriors offer was far superior to this garbage

And yet they did make offers. And sign and trades are still in place next year.

Fans are just sick of the power plays where players demand both top pay and to play in the premium market of their choice.

Paul wasn't like Lebron where he toyed with the team and the fans to maximize the smoke blowing up his...well, at him. Paul honestly told the team he wasn't going to resign which let's the team either play him for his last year or trade him for future value. There is no ethical issue that most fans have with that. Fans are just sick of seeing the "have-nots" getting jerked around in favor of teams like LA and NY.

For all the Fans who have problems with players deciding where they want to work and live when the opportunity presents itself because their contracts are coming to an end, need to get over themselves.

• Premium Member

Fans are just sick of the power plays where players demand both top pay and to play in the premium market of their choice.

Paul wasn't like Lebron where he toyed with the team and the fans to maximize the smoke blowing up his...well, at him. Paul honestly told the team he wasn't going to resign which let's the team either play him for his last year or trade him for future value. There is no ethical issue that most fans have with that. Fans are just sick of seeing the "have-nots" getting jerked around in favor of teams like LA and NY.

Well said. Been a fan since 1976 but if this all goes down in LA and they get Paul and Howard, alonmg with the Hawks standing pat, I'm just done fellas. 35 years of this has wore on me and Im at the place in my life if the Hawks are not contenders Ive got better things to do instead of sitting around stewing and being pissed cause the ASG either wont or cant be competitive. I will always check on them time to time but that will be about it. With the roster Atlanta has in place they are just not good enough or have the chemistry to compete for a title. At the very least if they acquired Paul they would have a chance in the playoffs.

• Like 1

Yep, I have to agreed with savwboy, you have to remember that every rumor came out, one of his CPIII teams said that he wont extend or resign with that time. Natural, made it so diffcult to trade him because all of the teams in that race wouldn't give them maximum value for it (That is the reason why we didnt offered Teague from him).

To quote Vince "Chris screwed Chris" or to bluntly "His Team screw Chris"

Yep, I have to agreed with savwboy, you have to remember that every rumor came out, one of his CPIII teams said that he wont extend or resign with that time. Natural, made it so diffcult to trade him because all of the teams in that race wouldn't give them maximum value for it (That is the reason why we didnt offered Teague from him).

To quote Vince "Chris screwed Chris" or to bluntly "His Team screw Chris"

Basically what he is doing is limiting the Hornets options to 3 or 4 teams and the heck w/ the rest of the league....He is not helping the Hornets , he is using the situation to help Chris Paul..He would not be able to sign w/ teams like the Lakers or Knicks as a free agent without taking a massive pay cut..So why not use the situation to his advantage so he can play in a big market and on a contender? This is the type of crap that just turns alot of people off to the NBA...

On the bright side, we can defer all of our "I'm done with the Hawks!" fume-fests for a little while longer.

~lw3

I have been a Hawks fan for a long time , but you have to admit this type of stuff test even the most loyal fans..

Ditto for me,

It is hard sometimes, you know. Hawks has been my team since 6 years old, looking it with my Dad. I dont want to change my loyality but ASG is really push it for me.

ASG is not the problem for me....It is the league as a whole catering to Big Market teams while teams like the Bucks are left to rot

Stern on why he killed the trade.....It pretty much boils down to he believes it did not serve the Hornets interest..

National Basketball Association Commissioner David Stern said today he vetoed the trade of Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers because it was “more valuable” to keep the All-Star guard with the New Orleans Hornets.

Stern spoke in a brief interview at the NBA’s New York headquarters building a day after blocking Paul’s trade to the Lakers.

"The decision was taken that Chris Paul in New Orleans was more valuable than the trade that was being discussed to send him elsewhere", David Stern tells Bloomberg.

"As for other trades", Stern continues, "I'll leave that to the team as the discussion goes on.''

"I don't want to speak on the basketball side, but that particular one was weighed against Chris Paul's continued presence in New Orleans.''

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said earlier that the deal was blocked for “basketball reasons.” The league owns the Hornets and is trying to sell the club.

• Premium Member

ASG is not the problem for me....It is the league as a whole catering to Big Market teams while teams like the Bucks are left to rot

Stern on why he killed the trade.....It pretty much boils down to he believes it did not serve the Hornets interest..

National Basketball Association Commissioner David Stern said today he vetoed the trade of Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers because it was “more valuable” to keep the All-Star guard with the New Orleans Hornets.

Stern spoke in a brief interview at the NBA’s New York headquarters building a day after blocking Paul’s trade to the Lakers.

"The decision was taken that Chris Paul in New Orleans was more valuable than the trade that was being discussed to send him elsewhere", David Stern tells Bloomberg.

"As for other trades", Stern continues, "I'll leave that to the team as the discussion goes on.''

"I don't want to speak on the basketball side, but that particular one was weighed against Chris Paul's continued presence in New Orleans.''

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said earlier that the deal was blocked for “basketball reasons.” The league owns the Hornets and is trying to sell the club.

It started years ago when Milwaukee sent Lew Alcindor to the Los Angeles Lakers......................history has repeated itself many times with the big market teams.

• Moderators

Ditto for me,

It is hard sometimes, you know. Hawks has been my team since 6 years old, looking it with my Dad. I dont want to change my loyality but ASG is really push it for me.

I have to admit supporting my Hawks is equivalent to my rooting for Wile E. Coyote. Don't want him to ever quit trying, and you know the screwups every time he tries will be spectacular... but if he ever actually caught the RoadRunner I'd probably be beside myself.

Could be worse, we could be in a big market like the Cubs are, and go 100+ years without winning jack.

~lw3

"The decision was taken that Chris Paul in New Orleans was more valuable than the trade that was being discussed to send him elsewhere", Darth Stern tells Bloomberg.

So now when the drafts start, are we back to the days where lottery-level players start declaring aloud who they WON'T play for, lest they get stuck? This could have been Steve Francis' fate in Vancouver.

~lw3

• Moderators

So now when the drafts start, are we back to the days where lottery-level players start declaring aloud who they WON'T play for, lest they get stuck? This could have been Steve Francis' fate in Vancouver.

~lw3

In fairness, it isn't that terrible a fate. Paul will get paid a ton of money to play for the team he is already under contract to play for this season and will be an UFA after this season. That is what Paul signed on for. Anything else he gets is something to which he isn't entitled. If NO doesn't want to let him go, he is "stuck" with the team that he chose to sign a contract with.

My issue is with tying NO's hands.

1) Bad team gets a high draft pick

2) Bad team takes great young talent and helps them develop

3) Bad team becomes average team and goes to playoffs

4) Big market team takes that player

5) Average team = Bad team again

6) start from 1 again

Actually this is more like:

1) Bad team gets a high draft pick

2) Bad team takes great young talent and helps them develop

3) Bad team becomes good and goes deep into playoffs

4) Owners start dumping contracts like crazy because they want to sell the team, forcing the team to take several steps back

5) Owners go bankrupt, team is sold to the league, tries its best to avoid spending more money.

If we were talking about Deron WIlliams in Utah, or Mello in Denver, it'd be one thing.

But Paul has done nothing but play hard for the hornets, even when they were trying like hell to become a worse team.

Remember, this was a 56 win team that started Chris Paul, Mo Peterson, Peja, David West and Tyson Chandler, with Chris Andersen and Jannero Pargo off the bench.Then they tried to deal Tyson Chandler to clear salary, traded Peja to save money, let Chris Andersen walk for free, gave away Darren Collison in order to get rid of James Posey's contract, traded down from their lottery pick last year to save money, and have been doing everything in their power to get out from Okafor's deal.

• Moderators

If we were talking about Deron WIlliams in Utah, or Mello in Denver, it'd be one thing.

I think he is talking about Deron Williams in Utah, Melo in Denver, Bosh in Toronto, Dwight in Orlando, Paul in NO, etc.

Edited by AHF