• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Settled on what Sund *should* do... target West and target Billups

sturt

• Premium Member

Like most of us, I'm sure, been wrestling with what might be a real strategy to ratchet up this roster.

Can't happen without ASG being willing to go into tax territory. So, that's just a premise to the whole thing. They've said all along that for a difference-maker, they'd be willing to do that.

I think it is plausible that David West could be enough of a difference maker. When healthy (and btw, its his injury history that even makes it possible for us to think about this), West is both the legit reliable low-post scoring threat that we're missing and a banger on the defensive side.

And remember, that while we are mentioned almost never in association with any free agents, prior to the Boston deal, we'd actually been mentioned as a suitor for West.

Also, we've seen Crawford's name associated with NO.

I say, why not SnT both to each other?

The other advantage, then, is that I think adding West makes it that much more appealing to a Chauncey Billups to think ATL instead of MIA. First, because we can offer better money. Second, because we can offer whatever minutes Hinrich was going to get, which are substantial. (Hinrich, when he comes back, can either get Crawford's minutes or can be traded.) And third, because we become a much deeper team than MIA, and a serious threat... all the more so assuming that Dwight's no longer in the division.

Sund... get it done. ;)

Again, why would the NBA block the West trade to the celtics but not the hawks? The Hornets can sign Crawford outright, so why would they help out the hawks and why wouldn't the nba block that? And why would Crawford sign up to go to New Orleans?

The think it was a SnT that was only if CP3 got traded like Chandler SnT to NYK.

I thought West went to Boston already

Nope, it was never approved.

• Premium Member

In sturt's scenario, Billups wouldn't be coming here by force.

This is all based on him clearing amnesty waivers and then choosing to sign with the Hawks instead of the Heat as a free agent. He wouldn't be disruptive if he chooses to sign with us as a free agent.

I like the idea though, I think West would fit in well with what we try to do in our offense. It's not the most attractive thing we can do, but I do think it makes us better. One question I have about your scenario is: Are you planning on starting West and PF and Smith at SF? Or is he going to be coming off of the bench?

• Premium Member

Nope, it was never approved.

Not sure it's an accurate assumption, even, to suggest it was submitted to the league office to begin with... believe it was, like many things, contingent on NO's "other" deal getting done first.

In sturt's scenario, Billups wouldn't be coming here by force.

This is all based on him clearing amnesty waivers and then choosing to sign with the Hawks instead of the Heat as a free agent. He wouldn't be disruptive if he chooses to sign with us as a free agent.

Yep.

I like the idea though, I think West would fit in well with what we try to do in our offense. It's not the most attractive thing we can do, but I do think it makes us better. One question I have about your scenario is: Are you planning on starting West and PF and Smith at SF? Or is he going to be coming off of the bench?

I think Drew does what he did in the playoffs... mix-and-match depending on your opponent. Who is actually starting becomes much less important than who is in on the floor at the end. And actually, that's been the case ever since we acquired Crawford anyhow... Bibby was a "starter," but it became a rarity to see him in there for very much of the 4th quarter.

No offense but do you guys actually look at NBA games. Billups is done as a player. He can't play d at all. he is basically Mike Bibby taking more shots a game. You all have to stop thinking about how players used to be instead of what they are today.

Disagree.

Not sure it's an accurate assumption, even, to suggest it was submitted to the league office to begin with... believe it was, like many things, contingent on NO's "other" deal getting done first.

The report is that the deal is falling through because New Orleans couldn't find anyone to take on JO's deal. They wanted the trade exception the trade was going to create, but they knew the nba was going to block any trade for more contracts and older players. I think it is safe to say the hawks would have the same problem.

• Premium Member

The report is that the deal is falling through because New Orleans couldn't find anyone to take on JO's deal. They wanted the trade exception the trade was going to create, but they knew the nba was going to block any trade for more contracts and older players. I think it is safe to say the hawks would have the same problem.

Hold up. How is trading for an old guy like JO is the same thing as trading for an actual current asset like Crawford?

Point is likely moot though, given what appears to be developing with NYK and GS.

Hold up. How is trading for an old guy like JO is the same thing as trading for an actual current asset like Crawford?

Point is likely moot though, given what appears to be developing with NYK and GS.

Huh? Crawford is one year and a half younger than than Jermaine O'neal. So the difference between a league blocking the trade and a league allowing it to go through is one year and a half? As a reminder, the Chris Paul deal fell through because Stern wanted younger assets, and Dragic, Martin and Scola are 25, 28 and 30, respectively.