• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Josh pulling a Dwight on us?

HawkItus

Hearing that Levenson was so fourthright and vague at the same time suggests to me that he was trying to polevault Josh's value.

We're not trading Josh....I mean, there's no equal value out there.

That's classic doublespeak for give me a deal that looks good and we will trade Josh.

Smoove would have to be willing to leave a lot of money on the table. If you want to talk about the similarities between Howard/Smith... Neither are willing to leave that much money on the table. Dwight will be SNTed to NJ. Then they will try to trade for Smoove.. Probably their lottery pick/Brooks/TPE.

If they do a sign and trade for Howard, giving up signed players, they will still be way under the cap, even with signing Deron. Plenty of money to just take Smoove outright without having to give up any other assets.

Thing you have to remember as Mace pointed out so well, SNT does not net the player the larger raises or extra year anymore. If Smoove does not intend to stay with us he cannot get the extra 3% or the extra year. Only snt advantage now is if the taking team needs the cap space, which NJ clearly does not...

Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators

In the back of my head I think I know where Sekou is coming from but I'm having trouble finding the exact clause from Coon regarding extending a previously matched RFA and I'm not one to just blindly accept his knowledge of the CBA. He was extremely bad at it when he was with the AJC.

I would also be interested in seeing this. Given that Smith will be an UFA, I can't come up with a rationale where the player's union would want a clause that prevented Josh from extending his contract and forced him to wait until FA to lock up a new deal. It seems like such a provision runs counter to the interests of both the players and the teams. If the clause applies it only limits Josh's options - if Sekou is wrong then Josh has the choice to lock things up now or to wait and become an UFA. Why would either the owners or player's union want him to only have the choice of waiting to become an UFA when he could be injured, etc. in the meaintime?

• Premium Member

Hearing that Levenson was so fourthright and vague at the same time suggests to me that he was trying to polevault Josh's value.

We're not trading Josh....I mean, there's no equal value out there.

That's classic doublespeak for give me a deal that looks good and we will trade Josh.

Smoove would have to be willing to leave a lot of money on the table. If you want to talk about the similarities between Howard/Smith... Neither are willing to leave that much money on the table. Dwight will be SNTed to NJ. Then they will try to trade for Smoove.. Probably their lottery pick/Brooks/TPE.

If Orlando has one lick of sense, they will trade Dwight by the deadline. The Magic are being set up to be screwed if they don't.

I would also be interested in seeing this. Given that Smith will be an UFA, I can't come up with a rationale where the player's union would want a clause that prevented Josh from extending his contract and forced him to wait until FA to lock up a new deal. It seems like such a provision runs counter to the interests of both the players and the teams. If the clause applies it only limits Josh's options - if Sekou is wrong then Josh has the choice to lock things up now or to wait and become an UFA. Why would either the owners or player's union want him to only have the choice of waiting to become an UFA when he could be injured, etc. in the meaintime?

Owners its obvious, he gets badly injured and cannot be extended they do not pay him anymore since his contract is up at the end of the season....

Think about D12 if he suffered a back injury right now similar to TJ Ford...300 million or more over his career in endorsements and team contract at least 2/3s of it would be lost

Edited by Buzzard

If Orlando has one lick of sense, they will trade Dwight by the deadline. The Magic are being set up to be screwed if they don't.

The Magic are saying they are most likely going to trade by the trade deadline after his double-agent comments yesterday where he hopes they won't trade him. The Magic are dumb, they know that he's just trying to protect the Nets assets and now they're saying the Nets may get nervous and trade for him anyway since FA is so unpredictable... translation, if they don't trade for him now they're afraid that Cuban will find a way to steal Deron and sign Dwight.

Just read where Jason Walker is speculating that Dwight is trying to "Boozer" the Magic by saying he won't use his early termination option. I hope that the Magic don't fall for that.

• Like 1

The Magic are saying they are most likely going to trade by the trade deadline after his double-agent comments yesterday where he hopes they won't trade him. The Magic are dumb, they know that he's just trying to protect the Nets assets and now they're saying the Nets may get nervous and trade for him anyway since FA is so unpredictable... translation, if they don't trade for him now they're afraid that Cuban will find a way to steal Deron and sign Dwight.

Mr Cuban is no one to underestimate. Only player he ever lost worth a crap he sincerely cared about was Nash. He had Chandler written off before the etching was done on the trophy last season so he could be in good shape after this one....

Just read where Jason Walker is speculating that Dwight is trying to "Boozer" the Magic by saying he won't use his early termination option. I hope that the Magic don't fall for that.

You know the more this goes on the more dislike Dwight. It's sad because his parents are members of my church and I know he was a good kid. But, this is starting to tarnish him personally.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

See, this is what happens when teams refuse to see the signs, refuse to acknowledge the smoke until the house is fully ablaze. I really believe Dwight to New Jersey is a done deal, whether it happens Thursday or in the offseason. We can only hope the Hawks don't go the same route with Smoove, because I defenitely smell the smoke. But, this is the ASG we're talking about.

You know the more this goes on the more dislike Dwight. It's sad because his parents are members of my church and I know he was a good kid. But, this is starting to tarnish him personally.

I'm starting to feel the same way and it's really a shame. He's going to be viewed like Lebron is outside of Miami if he's not careful.

See, this is what happens when teams refuse to see the signs, refuse to acknowledge the smoke until the house is fully ablaze. I really believe Dwight to New Jersey is a done deal, whether it happens Thursday or in the offseason. We can only hope the Hawks don't go the same route with Smoove, because I defenitely smell the smoke. But, this is the ASG we're talking about.

I hope that's not the case and I honestly believe that Josh is a better man than that but I guess time will tell.

• Moderators

And awayyyyyyyy we go:

@stevekylerNBA

Howard sources confirm WFTV re[port as legit... he told team this afternoon... word is Magic involved in 3 team deal involving Josh Smith

Smith deal would be with Minnesota... Timberwolves exploring several scenarios... orlando is just one possible deal involving Mike Beasley

Now this alleged deal is not to bring Dwight to ATL, but either to bring Smoove to the Magic Kingdom, or bring pieces of equivalent value while shipping Smoove to Minnesota. The "WFTV report" Kyler references suggests Dwight has agreed to stay in Orlando for at least another season.

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/source-dwight-howard-stay-magic-through-2012-13-se/nLSmb/

Stan Van would probably double up on the antacids if he tried to make it through a season of Smoove and Dwight potentially leaving next year.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

And awayyyyyyyy we go:

@stevekylerNBA

Hmm that's interesting cause I had just read this:

Adreian Wojnarowski: Portland's talks with Minnesota for Jamal Crawford are part of a 3-way scenario with Lakers, source says. Michael Beasley would go to LA.

Let me just say that if Josh Smith is traded to Orlando and we get anything less than Bynum or some other truly legit star player I'm going to lose my flipping mind.

• Moderators
AlexKennedyNBA: Source says Dwight Howard met with Magic CEO Alex Martins and owner Rich DeVos this afternoon, informing them that he'll opt-in next season... By the way, this came out of nowhere. Those close to Dwight Howard were STUNNED when he told them his decision this morning.

And just from re-reading the earlier tweet from Kyler and his later clarifications, the three-way trade would send Smoove to Minny, not to Orlando.

~lw3

I'm starting to feel the same way and it's really a shame. He's going to be viewed like Lebron is outside of Miami if he's not careful.

I hope that's not the case and I honestly believe that Josh is a better man than that but I guess time will tell.

Tis a shame but as they like to say it's a business:

1. If he doesn't want to be there just say it and be prepared to move on

2. too many people in D12 ears telling him what to do

2. trying to pull the "okey doke" on Orlando that is just plain wrong - if you say you are gonna opt-in, sign it. Actions speak louder than words, let what you do speak for you.

3. If D12 opt-in, his current agent does not get paid since he didn't negotiate current contract, so it's in the agents best interest to have D12 sign a new deal.

I can't wait for all this to be over - 3:00Pm tomorrow can't get here soon enough.

• Moderators

More As The Dwight Turns, as of 1:30 in the morning:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/219756/Dwight_Howard_Confirms_Hell_Sign_Opt_In_Thursday_Morning#ixzz1pA7BPGgY

Dwight Howard has confirmed that he will opt-in for the 12-13 season in an exclusive interview with RealGM's Jarrod Rudolph.

Howard will sign the contract in the morning on Thursday.

Howard was apologetic for putting the organization through the circus that has followed him in recent days and vows to be better moving forward.

Over the course of Wednesday, Howard appeared to waver on his wishes for the 12-13 season in the face of a possible trade from the Magic.

The organization sought a trade of Howard if they couldn't give him an assurance of his desire to remain beyond the current season.

More details of the interview to follow shortly.

so he'll sign the ETO in the morning. Or not. Wake me when somebody finds him a pen.

~lw3