• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith Shot the Ball 26 Times

MoBetta

lol, you can't compare Josh to Durant and Kobe only because of the refs and their franchise built a team around them.The least you could do is give him that...

He was shooting 56% at the line before his current or past hot streak. He could easily struggle these remaining games as Drew will run him ragged. His career low was 59% a few years back, I guessing 59% to 60% this season is such a huge disparity these days. 0.11 points makes a world of difference. Edited by Kimsey

He was shooting 56% at the line before his current or past hot streak. He could easily struggle these remaining games as Drew will run him ragged. His career low was 59% a few years back, I guessing 59% to 60% this season is such a huge disparity these days. 0.11 points makes a world of difference.

You're assuming that 60% is good in the first place. 60% is horrible, just plain horrible.

Efficient last night? Ivan Johnson.Josh is a monster inside and it shows. When he rocks inside, we roll!Tremendious! What else is there to say. Yet, he insists that he has a greatoutside game and keeps trying to prove it. Sometimes, he hits all thoseoutside shots. Sometimes he doesn't.He makes great passes, usually. Occasionally, he throws it away. His reboundingseems to have improved recently. Give him an A for this.The problem most of us have is, why does Josh insist on taking those long outsideshots when he's having a bad shooting night from outside? He can and does scorewhen he gets inside and he can get inside. Betcha his shooting % inside is great.Josh, take it to the rack and make our oppponents eat it.GO HAWKS!!!

Edited by Gray Mule

He was shooting 56% at the line before his current or past hot streak. He could easily struggle these remaining games as Drew will run him ragged. His career low was 59% a few years back, I guessing 59% to 60% this season is such a huge disparity these days. 0.11 points makes a world of difference.

No just pointing out two things:1st you do not compare him to Durant and Kobe because he has never been a great FT shooter. In case you did not know this, the refs do not shoot for those guys. And second, this is not his worse season at the line yet. But give him some time, and maybe your hope will come true.

You're right, that's my bad. I should say that I am talking about Josh's shooting efficiency through his PPS in recent games. Thanks for the correction.

No problem, just wanted to clear that up. Shooting 54% for a game is pretty good and the rest of his numbers were excellent, except for only having 4 FT attempts. I'm in the camp that would rather see him shoot 20 FGA's along with 10 FTA's per game as he'd easily average 25 PPG while opening up 10 more FGA for other players who are better shooters.

You're assuming that 60% is good in the first place. 60% is horrible, just plain horrible.

Of course it is Soup, it's only one small percentage point higher than his career worst which to me is basically a career low season. That's was my entire point. As hot as he is shooting now at the line, he can easily plummet these upcoming games.Dolf, here is another ironic quote by Josh Smith:"I was trying to be efficient and get some stuff to the basket,” Smith said. “Then, I was able to recognize what I was doing wrong on my jump shot and I was able to correct it.”

Josh's FT shooting by month this year

January: 0.506

February: 0.609

March: 0.693

Last 10 games: 0.760

It seems to me that his FT shooting is only improving as the season progresses and while I don't expect him to shoot 76% all the time, he is certainly capable and should be shooting close to 70%.

I don't get this thread.....he's been pretty much averaging that many attempts for awhile. As I've said before, I don't mind volume shooting Josh, the shot volume seems to keep him more than happy and therefore more involved in other areas. Only recent concern I can see about him is that he's getting back to his tech collecting ways now that he doesn't have to politic' for the All Star Game..... Or not not politic'n seeing as he he doesn't play politics or something or the other.

Josh's FT shooting by month this year

January: 0.506

February: 0.609

March: 0.693

Last 10 games: 0.760

It seems to me that his FT shooting is only improving as the season progresses and while I don't expect him to shoot 76% all the time, he is certainly capable and should be shooting close to 70%.

Everyone who is paid a million or more a year to do so, should be able to shoot 70% or better don't you agree?

Well everyone who does not have hands of stones ala Shaq...

Edited by Buzzard

Dolf, here is another ironic quote by Josh Smith:"I was trying to be efficient and get some stuff to the basket,” Smith said. “Then, I was able to recognize what I was doing wrong on my jump shot and I was able to correct it.”

Considering that he started the game something like 2-12 or whatever it was, he did get much better as the game went on. By the nba.com definition of efficiency Josh did have a very effecient game considering the steals, blocks, rebounds, etc.... but if we're referring to points per shot as efficiency then he wasn't very efficient.

Everyone who is paid a million or more a year to do so, should be able to shoot 70% or better don't you agree?

I don't think it's that simple, otherwise Shaq and Dwight Howard would be much better FT shooters. The problem with Josh is that he has that catapult delivery and if he's off a little bit in his mechanics it can make him miss badly. For Josh it's really about concentration though as he's had 3 seasons where he's shot at least 70% so anything less than that is a disappointment.

Lol... I was going to come on here and post how well Smoove has been playing of late and found this at the top of the page. Ridiculous. No wonder the guy want's to leave.In case you didn't see it, last night Smoove moved past Wilkins with the number of double-double's recorded while with the Hawks.

I like this. Thanks Dolfan. Shouldn't this thread end here?

Posted Image

No because this threa is about scoring efficiency and that stat apply other variables like rebounds and blocks. Overall nobody is arguing that Josh is an ineffective player. We are arguing over whether he is an efficient scorer.

I like this. Thanks Dolfan. Shouldn't this thread end here?

Perty much! As someone mentioned above if it takes Josh taking the most shots per game on our team for him to be involved in rebounding, shot blocking and everything else the way that he's been then I'm fine with it. Remember how often he'd have those games in the past where he'd disappear for large portions of the game or even games where he just looked disinterested? I can't remember the last game I saw where he looked like that player and I love it and hope that he keeps it up.

• Premium Member

I don't get this thread.....he's been pretty much averaging that many attempts for awhile. As I've said before, I don't mind volume shooting Josh, the shot volume seems to keep him more than happy and therefore more involved in other areas.

Only recent concern I can see about him is that he's getting back to his tech collecting ways now that he doesn't have to politic' for the All Star Game..... Or not not politic'n seeing as he he doesn't play politics or something or the other.

Either I'm doped up on Redbull, allergy meds, and skittles or this last part makes no sense. Edited by NineOhTheRino

No because this threa is about scoring efficiency and that stat apply other variables like rebounds and blocks. Overall nobody is arguing that Josh is an ineffective player. We are arguing over whether he is an efficient scorer.

Most of the time he's not an efficient scorer but he drastically impacts the game in so many other areas that it seems trivial to criticize him for this, at least IMO.
  • Like 1

Can we at the very least root for OUR GUY for East player of the month award...Candidates:Lebron James25 ppg8.8 rpg6 asp1 bpg2.4 spg3.2 toDwight Howard24.1 ppg13.5 rpg1.4 asp2 bpg1.6 spg3.1 toJosh Smith23.6 ppg10.6 rpg4.8 apg1.4 bpg1.5 spg1.9 to

Most of the time he's not an efficient scorer but he drastically impacts the game in so many other areas that it seems trivial to criticize him for this, at least IMO.

Criticizing someone for volume shooting is completely fair point IMO. Volume shooting is why Monta Ellis and Josh were not in the all-star game. It is exactly the same critique that people have been leveling on Kobe for the past two seasons. Volume shooting is the reason that Crawford killed our offensive flow some many times last year. I dont think we should have it on out team.

And he scored 30. Joe shot the ball 14 times and scored 11.he pulled 18 boards and threw 5 assists and shot 50%...he earned it.

Agreed, Joe was off, Teague was turning the ball over as if he was playing for GS. Smith and Ivan were the only positives last night. Stop complaining about Smoove, he has played an integral role in the team's success this year.