• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Doc

benhillboy

Probably belongs in Around the NBA. I'm sure Dol will decide and act accordingly. Most of us hate the Celtics. I don't and marvel at the championship they won when first assembled. Just an appreciation post for Doc after Kevin Blackistone banged the drum for his coaching after the break on PTI despite all the problems and injuries the Celtics have had. Dooling and some guy I've never heard of who blocked Dwayne Wades lay-up are producing and Bass is realizing his potential finally with the squad. Doc doesn't get enough love here for being a beloved former Hawk (our only All-Star PG in my lifetime) and outstanding coach. Never figured he'd be a Top 5 coach with a kid going in the first round. Made quite a basketball career and resume for himself, and I applaud his class. Was one of the loudest voices when Nique got shafted his first year for HOF eligibility along with Chuck. Favorite Doc moment from his playing days?

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

Doc is a coach that has grown on me.I think Doc has a few flaws that can be pretty aggravating on a less than contending team. I think he is not very good at managing players' minutes, and he is not a great Xs and Os type of coach. Before the big 3 got together in Boston, I think pretty much every celtics fan wanted him gone. But I think he learned a lot on the Xs and Os front with Thibodeau there.Doc's main strength, however, is just how much respect he gets from his players. He is excellent at creating chemistry, managing egos, getting everyone to buy into the team concept. He is a true players' coach, and one of the reasons the celtics always seem to get at least one vet to sign on for the minimun. He gets the maximun effort out of his players. Just look at Big Baby Davis' career after he left the celtics: he can't seem to stay out of trouble and is having his worst season. Players want to play for him (Pietrus could have easily signed with the Bulls and would probably be starting over Ronnie Brewer) and to play hard for him.

• Moderators

Not a Hawks highlight but there's this one: http://youtu.be/T3jTGahAcKUI agree with you and having Doc back in Atlanta would be great for this organization and city. My only issue with Doc as a coach is he seems to participate and encourage the Celtics being the biggest whiners and babies in the nba. Sometimes i expect Pierce, Garnett, and Doc to throw themselves on the floor crying whenever pierce doesn't get that stupid jump into the defender foul call.But hey, Doc is a great guy and if he were to coach Atlanta i would love it.

• Moderators

I agree with you and having Doc back in Atlanta would be great for this organization and city. My only issue with Doc as a coach is he seems to participate and encourage the Celtics being the biggest whiners and babies in the nba. Sometimes i expect Pierce, Garnett, and Doc to throw themselves on the floor crying whenever pierce doesn't get that stupid jump into the defender foul call.

I don't like it as a fan but I'd like to see JJ averaging 6 FTA/36 like Pierce instead of 3 FTA/36 as he does.

What is Doc's contract status in Boston?One thing to note on him is that he has won a championship with a core group who were in the 30-32 age range, and then coached them to the finals two years afterwards. Considering that Atlanta is pretty much stuck with Joe's contract, you have to start thinking about what can be done to make it work with Joe. I think for one, to do this, the ownership has to be willing to pay the luxury tax. If the Hawks could add someone like Pau Gasol via a trade (maybe a Josh Smith for Pau Gasol deal), maybe they could make this work. If he's available, Doc might be the right man to mix this as well.

Considering that Atlanta is pretty much stuck with Joe's contract, you have to start thinking about what can be done to make it work with Joe.

Although it was before Doc got there, I'm sure he shares the same sentiment as Ainge on Joe. They shipped him out halfway through his rookie season and he was a lottery pick. Thats unheard of, yet it worked out okay for them since. No one in their right mind would want a team that features a 30-year old with a backloaded max deal. Edited by benhillboy

What is Doc's contract status in Boston?One thing to note on him is that he has won a championship with a core group who were in the 30-32 age range, and then coached them to the finals two years afterwards.Considering that Atlanta is pretty much stuck with Joe's contract, you have to start thinking about what can be done to make it work with Joe. I think for one, to do this, the ownership has to be willing to pay the luxury tax. If the Hawks could add someone like Pau Gasol via a trade (maybe a Josh Smith for Pau Gasol deal), maybe they could make this work. If he's available, Doc might be the right man to mix this as well.

Doc isn't going anywhere. Doc signed a 5 year, 5 million per year deal last year.

Although it was before Doc got there, I'm sure he shares the same sentiment as Ainge on Joe. They shipped him out halfway through his rookie season and he was a lottery pick. Thats unheard of, yet it worked out okay for them since. No one in their right mind would want a team that features a 30-year old with a backloaded max deal.

The Joe Johnson trade was before Ainge's time there. And it was one of the worst trades in celtics history. Phoenix wanted either Kendrick Brown or Joe Johnson. Chris Wallace (the celtics GM at the time, who later would go on to Memphis and do the Gasol trade) thought that Kendrick Brown had a better future and traded Joe Johnson. The celtics should have kept Joe Johnson, and Ainge had nothing to do with him leaving. While Joe Johnson certainly is overpaid, the celtics should have kept him and would have kept him if it wasn't for Chris Wallace's incompetence.

Doc isn't going anywhere. Doc signed a 5 year, 5 million per year deal last year.The Joe Johnson trade was before Ainge's time there. And it was one of the worst trades in celtics history. Phoenix wanted either Kendrick Brown or Joe Johnson. Chris Wallace (the celtics GM at the time, who later would go on to Memphis and do the Gasol trade) thought that Kendrick Brown had a better future and traded Joe Johnson. The celtics should have kept Joe Johnson, and Ainge had nothing to do with him leaving. While Joe Johnson certainly is overpaid, the celtics should have kept him and would have kept him if it wasn't for Chris Wallace's incompetence.

It's not often here I feel like a misinformed dummy. Thanks for putting me up on truth. I'm guessing that GM Chris Wallace is with Billy Knight in an Australian cave. All I'm saying is Phoenix and Boston both accomplished more than we ever will (conference final appearances, winning the conference, winning it all) after parting ways with Joe. Not saying that it means anything, but I'm interested to know why they felt they could progress without him. Edited by benhillboy

It's not often here I feel like a misinformed dummy. Thanks for putting me up on truth. I'm guessing that GM Chris Wallace is with Billy Knight in an Australian cave. All I'm saying is Phoenix and Boston both accomplished more than we ever will (conference final appearances, winning the conference, winning it all) after parting ways with Joe. Not saying that it means anything, but I'm interested to know why they felt they could progress without him.

If memory serves me correct, Phoenix wanted to keep Joe, I think he was a restricted free agent. Atlanta signed him to a deal and I think he asked Phoenix not to match (although I don't think Pheoenix wanted to pay that much) that is when a sign-n-trade was worked out and the whole ASG vs Belkin thing happened. Joe has been the only "star' free agent who wanted to come here. Edited by JayBirdHawk