• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Diesel Speaks out on the Problem with Hawks Fans.

Diesel

My thing is you keep bringing up chemistry..yet you have yet to see this team play a [censored] second....let them play some games first.

I didn't say you said our players suck...but some of the posters here think because a player is with another team he automaticaly becomes a better player because...it helps them prove the Hawks are inferior. I think you do fall in to that category.

Van Horn...why do u think this cat keeps getting bounced?

Deke...DONE

Mcdeyss...hasn't done anything in forever

Odom...what has he done in the last three years...

Pippen...a joke...we can see all the leading he has done with Portland and Houston

Detroit doesn't have an overflow of talent.

If you don't over rate players on other teams you will see we did improve this year talent wise.

Where the problem lies with the Hawks is grit and heart. we have to develop a never give up mentality....that is what I am most concerned about.

Without speculating on talent levels, and which teams got better over the off-season, I think there is a key factor that has been left out of the conversation: THE COACHING. Stotts has had training camp to put in his own system to fit the players he knew he had. I think that this alone will add at least 5 wins to the season total. Also, I never liked Krueger.

While I believe talent is important, I do not think it is the most important. Look at the team Doc Rivers had in Orlando his first year. They did not have all the talent in the world, but they played together, knew their roles, and made the playoffs.

This year the hawks have 2 key (offensive) players and a bunch of role players (or players with potential). Once a team gets more than 2 key players, the players will have to start sacrificing their games. This is what I think happened last year when GRob was with the Hawks. That and Kruger/Stotts never established a clear system where the players knew who was going to do what.

On defense, I am hoping Stotts has time to work on defensive schemes to fit the players. THeo may be a defensive leader, but Team defense will be the key. Last year, I think too much was made of Ratliff being the difference maker, while everyone else played ole defense. Even the players were talking about Theo vs. working on improving their games defensively. The preseason defensive numbers seem to indicate that Stotts is doing his job, and the players are buying into team defense..

I think that the system will be a lot simpler to define this year. I am hoping Stotts now knows who is capable of what roles on the team, and what limitations the team on the whole has. Also, I do not think he will encounter any attitudes with the role players wanting more of a role on the team. Stephen Jackson may be a concern their, but I think he will settle down now that Shareef is back on the court to play his role as offensive leader.

As for talent, I think we have what we need on offense. I only wish we had a big body to compete with the big centers of the league. Regardless of what the other teams do talent wise, it only matters if the talent comes together on the floor.

• Premium Member

Doc's Orlando team didn't make the playoffs.

They were 41-41 and got him COY.

However, he did have talent.

Armstrong, Ben Wallace, Chris Gatling, Ron Mercer, Chucky Atkins, Corey Maggette, Matt Harpring, Pat Garrity, and Charles Outlaw.

I know that these are not top shelf kind of guys, but these guys are still good. There's a whole lot of talent on that team. But you are right.. Doc got them to believe in role... Also, Doc could easily substitute these guys at his every whim because they didn't have names...

But to prove a point.

Had Orlando not traded for Grant Hill, they would have right now:

Chucky Atkins, Gircek, TMac, Gooden, and Ben Wallace with Howard off the bench.

I think that team can win.

You say we have lost alot with Big Dog leaving, but yet when were the Hawks a better team, when did we have a better record, the games he was out the Hawks had a winning record than with him in. And the ones replacing him were mostly Ira and Dion. Now this year we have a much more improved and confident Dion, the same Dion that avg 12 ppg as a starter for us last year. So now we lose Big Dog and comes Jax, Jax a better defender, much more ahletic, a very good 3 point shooter and some one that runs the break wonderfully, someone that will avg 14-15 ppg , now ask yourself did we really lose much with Big Dog gone? NOT, so you are wrong there, Diesel.

You are just being pessimistic my friend. Every good fan will go into every season with some kind of optimism. Yes we need to improve here and there, but we have to have some kind of faith that our team has a chance, or else whats the point to watch the games. Like Orlando commentator said last night...."If you look at this Hawks starting 5, I mean they have a very good starting unit, is there bench that is kind of weak"......anyone that watched the games last night, should of heard that, and I agree JT/Dion/Jax/Reef/Theo is a pretty solid starting unit, heck a pretty d@mn good one. Now is our bench that needs to come up big and contribute and I believe we have the personnel to do it. And is basically what kind of rotations Stotts uses.

• Premium Member

OK there are 2 things at work here that must be pointed out about Chemistry.

First...

Even if PHil Jackson and Doc Rivers would have come together and coached last years squad, there would still have been chemistry problems.

The Chemistry problems exist because of the blueprint. And all I have said is that we have done NOTHING to change the blueprint. While we have made no changes or no substantial changes, it's evident that most of the other teams in the east have made significant changes to their roster that is bound to have an effect. MY prediction is that a lot of these teams have done better. Some didn't.

• Premium Member

In reply to:

say we have lost alot with Big Dog leaving, but yet when were the Hawks a better team, when did we have a better record, the games he was out the Hawks had a winning record than with him in. And the ones replacing him were mostly Ira and Dion.

You're right. We were a better team with Dog Down. Unfortunately, that was about 9 home games and 3 road games. Guess what, we loss 3 road games on that stretch. Coincidence?

In fact, if you look at the season as a whole, we were a better home team and we were horrid on the road.

However, for Grins... Let's play your game of sit the player...

You know what happened when JT sat? We beat the [censored] out of Philly with Wilks running the PG. Does that mean that we were a better team without JT?

In reply to:

So now we lose Big Dog and comes Jax, Jax a better defender, much more ahletic, a very good 3 point shooter and some one that runs the break wonderfully, someone that will avg 14-15 ppg , now ask yourself did we really lose much with Big Dog gone?

First off, these things being said about Jackson are unfounded. Totally.

1. When did he become such a good defensive player?

2. Hotlanta dude could be a good three point shooter playing for the Spurs.

In reply to:

You are just being pessimistic my friend. Every good fan will go into every season with some kind of optimism. Yes we need to improve here and there, but we have to have some kind of faith that our team has a chance, or else whats the point to watch the games.

You know what, you're right. I had this same kind of blind optimism last year that you have now. I said with the addition of Grob and Ham... this team can't miss the playoffs. I even believed that the guarantee would hold. In fact, I'm usually optimistic in that way every year. However, you'd think that I'd learn my lesson about being optimistic simply becuase it's a new season?

Tell me, If you take the drink away from the drunkard and clean him up with new clothes, should we all rejoice?

NO. The truth is that the drunkard needs to be changed on the inside. That's the problem with the Hawks. I am very optimistic about us getting Gearon and Company. I think they will make some changes. However, this season is simply that old drunkard wearing a new suit of clothes and new shoes.

I am happy Jt is coming back. He's IMHO the heart & soul of the Hawks. SAR may be the leader, but JT leads also. Not sure how outspoken he is, but I see himdisplay leadership and lead by example enough to consider him what I do. Always, DG reminds me of 'Nique. His moves to the basket, etc. I am glad he's still a Hawk and that his game continues to improve. Theo, well let's see if he stays healthy and what he willl do. Sad at losing Ira, but if Jackson can fill Grob's role (maybe even better his role) we may not miss Ira's D as much. Ham was like CC flyer with not much else. Ham defended and jumped well, but he was erradic. J. Vauhn compliments JT really well. I am glad he's back for a second stint. Hendu and Nazr can bang a little, sure, we could have a bigger man or 2 instead, but they'll do alright for now. I don't know if we got "no better" but I hope that chemistry and other facts will make this a better team. Sure, we may make more moves later because we may seek better pieces to our puzzle. Let's see how we play.

I never said that he wasn't TO prone. I said that he offsets his TOs with Better defense. Something Glenn couldn't do. And you say he's not clutch,remember the last game of the Finals. Jackson hit 3 or 4 3 pters to pull SA back into the game. Why do you even call yourself a Hawks fan,you're nothing but a pessimistic,ignorant old fool. Who tries to call people out by their faults. If you wanna bash the Hawks,go to some other teams message boards & do it.

~Peace

Diesel, you keep mentioning the Hawks did not improve chemistry, but they did. Big Dog destroyed team chemistry. You could see it on the face of his teammates every time he took a bad shot or bounced a ball off his foot or was ripped on one of his infamous crossover moves. Theo Ratliff wouldn't even dap him after a made/missed free throw last season. The Hawks will be better simply because of addition by subtraction.

TROUBLEMAN

• Premium Member

First of all, why should I let anybody else define me...

I know who I am.

I am a realist when it comes to the Hawks. NOT a pessimist. I'm not saying Gloom and Doom. I think that Hawks have a bright future. I just believe that this offseason was wasted chasing behind McDavid and we really didn't do anything to improve ourselves (in the big scheme of things).

However, some people would argue that by losing we win because we increase our chances of getting to the Lottery. I've heard that argument made for discussing why trading Smitty for JR was a good move. However, I don't buy into the Philosophy of addition by subtraction. So... We will see.

• Premium Member

The Chemistry I'm talking about Troubleman was Structural.

All we did was replace Big Dog (a one dimensional player who turned the ball over a lot) for Sjack ( a one dimensional player who turns the ball over alot).

When I talk about the structural Chemistry, this is what I mean:

1. Theo is not a good rebounding C and aside from Back side shot blocking, he's a very weak C defensively.

2. JT is a combo guard. Really a SG in a PGs body. He doesn't run the offense instead he allows the offense to run around him. He tries hard to make assists but that's different than establishing tempo, calling plays, and reading defenses.

3. Reef is a great Low Post player but has yet developed the MENTALITY to ask for the ball all the time and BE the first option. The true reality is this... Had Reef been a dominant person (Not player) and had he demanded the ball and had he learned how to pass out of the post, Grob would not have been much of a problem. That coupled with JT's unwillingness to CONTROL the offense lead to many breakdowns and lots of times where players were going one on one instead of playing the team game.

I think the problem with Reef is: Years of being trained as a SF and not a PF. As a SF, it's not often that you are the first option. It's rare that you spend time inthe post. Couple that with the string of Bad Coaching Reef has gotten (from Stu to Lon) and we see coaches putting Reef out on the arc away from his strength. Reef's strength is in the post.

4. No Clutch Role players off the bench. We hoped Ham would be a clutch role player...He wasn't. We hope Nailon will be a clutch bench player.....

We have a rash of weaknesses that when you put them together they work in synergy against us... It's Chemistry. Not that the individual players are bad. [censored], for the most part, they are all allstar candidates. However, it's just like the mistake that Milwaukee made trading Scott Williams for Anthony Mason. In Williams, you had a Chemistry player who would set the picks and rebound. IN Mason they got a guy who wanted his hands on the ball and who would set the pick or rebound effectively.

SO it's not 100% the players. But really it's about the blueprint of the team. It's how our team is structure. So unless Reef will all the sudden learn to pass out of the post and UNLESS Jackson will pull down 10 rebs this yr and unless Reef and JT become much better defensive players.... This blueprint is destined to lead us nowhere close to a championship. Does that mean we don't play the game. NO. I think we play the game because the right trade could be around the corner. For instance... IF we could get Derrick Anderson from PTL, I think 60% of our problems would go away.

Mainly, we lack ball handling.

See...this is what I mean....S Jax is not one dimensional he can shoot and he has also been slashing to the basket for easy buckets...when is the last time Dog slashed through the lane. Jackson has been all over the floor getting deflections and steals...yet he is one dimensional.....he is not our savior but is isn't the fat lazy non dribbling ball hog that Glenn Robinson is.

You constantly make up stuff so you can prove whatever point you are trying to prove.

The fact is that we have not played as a team in a long while...we have had this dump to Reef stand around O for the past few years.

Stotts tried to get everybody involved at the end of last year but Dog would stop the rotation of the ball only to jack up jumpers with guys hanging on him. That's why we played better without him, had more assists and played together.

This year it seems that we are running a offense where everyone touches it and we truly try to work for the best shot. We will see how it works when the real games start.

A lot of the shortcomings of our players can be overcome with team basketball on both ends.