• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

JJ can help the team if he wanted to.

Wurider05

I remember reading that in the new CBA a player is allowed to restructure his contract to add more years to it. If we owe JJ 90 million over the next 4 years then he can restructure it to be 90 million over 6 years which would lower the hit on the cap. If he does this and we can get a good trade for smoove then we are in business.

Joe makes 1/3 of the cap. :-(

• Moderators

Not that he'd want to, but today's CBA forbids stuff like this (below), right?...

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/09/27/sports/sports-people-pro-basketball-magic-johnson-helps-lakers-out-of-a-bind.html

PRO BASKETBALL; Magic Johnson Helps Lakers Out of a Bind

Published: September 27, 1990

In a demonstration of a player's making a true sacrifice for his team, Magic Johnson of the Los Angeles Lakers recently surrendered a portion of his yearly salary so the Lakers could acquire Terry Teagle, a high-scoring swingman, from the Golden State Warriors in exchange for a high draft choice. The exact amount of money he relinquished was not disclosed.

Jerry West, the Lakers' general manager, yesterday released a statement that said: ''Knowing we needed another first-rate player, Magic came to me several weeks ago and offered to give up part of his salary if we needed room under the salary cap to get a player we wanted. We didn't have anough money under the cap to pick up Terry's contract without Magic giving up a substantial amount of his own salary.''(AP)

~lw3

• Moderators

More of the same from back in the day...

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-09-27/sports/sp-1602_1_magic-johnson

Along with the salary of Mark McNamara, who was traded to the San Antonio Spurs, Johnson's rebate gave the Lakers the necessary room under the NBA's salary cap to pay Teagle.

Johnson reportedly earns $2.5 million a year. He is thought to have given about $75,000 of it back.

Johnson thus joins the NBA counter-revolution in salary. Chicago's Michael Jordan deferred part of his salary earlier this summer, so the Bulls could get Dennis Hopson. Philadelphia's Charles Barkley has said he'd do it to make room on the 76ers for Adreian Dantley.

"The way it happened," Laker General Manager Jerry West said, "one day we were talking about players. I said we were trying to add a guard, but sometimes it's awkward because you don't have enough money under the cap.

"He said, 'Don't worry. I can help you.'

~lw3

There's nothing in Joe's character that suggests he'd do anything remotely close to rescheduling his future salary. He's more likely to donate huge sums to U of Ark before he does anything to help the Hawks financially. I'm sure his agent and lawyer will see his contract through exacltly as it was presented when he signed it on that dark, infamous day. The deal was insanely sweet. His next four years of signifigant percentages raises every year while doing progressively less is envied by stockholders for Fortune 500 companies who retired 10 years ago. And as far as adding two more years, what you want me kill myself? (Joe fans, don't answer that)

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

Joe is what he is. I don't see him getting any better. I don't see how we can get more out of him he can't really blow past guys.I definitely don't see in him that he would sacrifice part of his salary for the team to add another piece to get better.

i could have just put a snow crab down my shorts when 790 said joe will be making 24 million his last yr on his contract.what the

A snow crab with razors attached to his claws dipped in acid. At least Alan Houston and Rashard Lewis got to the Finals with their insane contracts. With Lewis, a franchise(?) player was already drafted and in place, and to Houston's credit, he helped get it done with a franchise player hurt. Is Arenas still getting paid on that 100 million the Wizards signed him too? If so, that's the only contract that rivals the anvil of Joe. Jermaine ONeal is getting paid some insane amount too I think, so we aren't alone, but it's just these guys are almost done, and we have 1,460 more days for him to dominate payroll. Deep breaths... Edited by benhillboy