• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OT- Anybody ever replace a HD.

Diesel

Depends on how expensive and valuable is the PC the HD is on.

• Premium Member

Depends on how expensive and valuable is the PC the HD is on.

It's a decent PC. I mean, Pavillion Elite. 8MB Ram 1 TB HD.The thing is...I have software on it that is specific. I guess either way, the software would have to be reloaded and the keys found and reused. SUCKS.

• Premium Member

It's a decent PC. I mean, Pavillion Elite. 8MB Ram 1 TB HD.The thing is...I have software on it that is specific. I guess either way, the software would have to be reloaded and the keys found and reused. SUCKS.

8MB Ram? Sure this isn't a Radio Shack Tandy or Apple II lol$350 for a HD seems a bit high. Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Moderators

I'm thinking that's 8 gig of RAM so that's pretty good. The price does seem a little high but i guess they are charging you to move your data over? I you can get an image of the current hard drive then i'd go with the replace because everything should be exactly the same. If you are going to have to reload everything then i'd probably get a new blank hard drive for less and start reloading.

Just a little bit of pity Dol. I wanted to get an answer today and not 5 weeks from now. Thats the only reason I put it up. Figured somebody might know something.

I left a link to it in the main forum so you should get an answer.

• Premium Member

I'm thinking that's 8 gig of RAM so that's pretty good. The price does seem a little high but i guess they are charging you to move your data over? I you can get an image of the current hard drive then i'd go with the replace because everything should be exactly the same. If you are going to have to reload everything then i'd probably get a new blank hard drive for less and start reloading.

You're right... 8 GB. Also, I just talked to somebody about cloning the HD. The HD is not dead yet, but it has the gurgle of death. So, I talked first to geeksquad ($350+) I guess because i wanted to buy the new HD, have them install and transfer the data. Was surprised to find that even with the data transfer, I would still have to go back and get all the software re-installed. That sucks.

• Premium Member

What is wrong with the current hard drive? The answers you will find vary drastically depending on the cause.

It has a very loud grind coming from the fan. I check the other two fans to identify the hard drive fan. The system doesn't exactly run slow, but it has shut down a few times when I tried to complete a defrag or a dskchk. Also.. strange thing. I tried a hardware check... and it got to the part concerned with animation... and a real animation started playing. it was a guy who looked like he was crawling through the inside of the computer and vapors were coming.That and the fact that Kaspersky has been disabled for the last few weeks tells me tht maybe I had a virus or something?

It has a very loud grind coming from the fan. I check the other two fans to identify the hard drive fan. The system doesn't exactly run slow, but it has shut down a few times when I tried to complete a defrag or a dskchk. Also.. strange thing. I tried a hardware check... and it got to the part concerned with animation... and a real animation started playing. it was a guy who looked like he was crawling through the inside of the computer and vapors were coming.

That and the fact that Kaspersky has been disabled for the last few weeks tells me tht maybe I had a virus or something?

Wow that animation sounds creepy and yeah I'd say there's about a 99.99% chance that you have a virus. Are you sure you weren't watching the movie "The Ring"??

You can clone a hard drive and not have to re-install programs as long as you're putting it back into the same computer with the same hardware. If you're wanting to put it into a new computer then you'll have to do like HF mentioned and copy the data but that might be a little more than you'd want to attempt on your own if you've never tried it before.

Generally if your hard drive is making noise it's not a good sign at all. Sometimes you can put it in the freezer for an hour or so and then re-connect it long enough to get the data transferred but that goes back to the step above.

I know this doesn't help now but everybody who uses a computer should have a backup of all of their important data, pictures, movies, etc. that's on an external drive, cloud server, different computer or something similar. Good luck D hope you get it fixed!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Wow that animation sounds creepy and yeah I'd say there's about a 99.99% chance that you have a virus. Are you sure you weren't watching the movie "The Ring"??You can clone a hard drive and not have to re-install programs as long as you're putting it back into the same computer with the same hardware. If you're wanting to put it into a new computer then you'll have to do like HF mentioned and copy the data but that might be a little more than you'd want to attempt on your own if you've never tried it before.Generally if your hard drive is making noise it's not a good sign at all. Sometimes you can put it in the freezer for an hour or so and then re-connect it long enough to get the data transferred but that goes back to the step above.I know this doesn't help now but everybody who uses a computer should have a backup of all of their important data, pictures, movies, etc. that's on an external drive, cloud server, different computer or something similar. Good luck D hope you get it fixed!

Thanks.I'm optimistic. I blame the doggone Celtics. It happened the morn after game 6. Anyway, yeah, the animation was creepy. I don't know if that was what regularly happens (I never sit around and watch the hardware check) or if that was some funky virus. I'm going the clone route. I just don't want to deal with going and finding all the keys and stuff. it's cheaper too.I really thought about going brand new but changed my mind. I just have to be aware of sites I visit.

Thanks.I'm optimistic. I blame the doggone Celtics. It happened the morn after game 6. Anyway, yeah, the animation was creepy. I don't know if that was what regularly happens (I never sit around and watch the hardware check) or if that was some funky virus. I'm going the clone route. I just don't want to deal with going and finding all the keys and stuff. it's cheaper too.I really thought about going brand new but changed my mind. I just have to be aware of sites I visit.

If you clone it and you have a virus you're going to clone the virus. I know you don't want to look up keys and re-install stuff, but if I were in your shoes I'd be re-installing the OS on a new drive to start with a clean slate and not have to worry about anything bad coming over.As for the future, I'd recommend using Firefox for web browsing, with the NoScript add-on that won't allow any JavaScript to run on a website unless you tell it to. It can be a pain sometimes if a website isn't functioning properly and you haven't allowed JavaScript to run but it won't be long before that dawns on you and you allow it. I haven't used a paid anti-virus program in many years and knock on wood haven't had a virus in forever by using the 2 things mentioned above, along with the free Microsoft Security Essentials.