Hindsight Machine. 5-31

Diesel

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

Today's Hindsight concerns Woody, Bibby, Jamal and Isoball.

Should we have allowed Crawford to Walk?

Here's the particulars...

In Woody and Bibby's last year with us...

We were #1 in Turnovers, #2 in Offensive ratings, #13 in ppg, #9 in 3pt %.

But we lost to Orlando. and we won 53 games. No more Woody. LD takes over.

IN LDs first year with us...

We were #9 in Turnovers, #20 in Offensive ratings, #26 in ppg, #18 in 3pt%.

We lost to Chicago and we won 44 games.

This year..

We were #5 in Turnovers, #16 in Offensive ratings, #17 in ppg, #5 in 3pt .

We lost in the first round and we won 50 games (prorated).

Edited by Diesel

Making a move from Woodson was the right move. It remains to be seen whether going with Larry Drew was the right move. I would add that what we are doing now is better than what we were doing under Woodson. The problem with what we are doing now is the fact that we don't ever stick with what works. The Hawks are at their best when they are moving the ball, looking for the best shot. They are at their worst when they go back to leaning on isolations. Yet, here we are at critical moments in the game going back to isolation.

• Premium Member

The real question is what leads us back to those isolations. Here's a thought. Teague has never had a full camp where he was the starting PG. I think if Teague spends the summer working out with the right people. Maybe that's Van Exel, maybe he can sneak in a camp with CP3, I think Teague will be off the charts with his game when he gets back.The point is that we need somebody who can not only get his scores but also can run the offense.I was watching Tony Parker and Westbrook and that's the difference between them. Westbrook doesn't know how to get everybody involved. Parker does. If Parker goes unstopped tonight, it will be a spurs sweep.

I was and still am against the hiring of Larry Drew. I believe it sent out the wrong message and as a Hawks' fan I felt completely jerked around by the "will they or won't they" situation with Avery Johnson.As a season ticket holder I was infuriated by the line of "we are going to search high and low to find a new leadership voice for the team" only to hire Woodson's top assistant and make him the lowest paid coach in the entire NBA.This ownership group is honestly a bigger black eye on the city than Rankin & Taylor Smith ever were.

I was and still am against the hiring of Larry Drew. I believe it sent out the wrong message and as a Hawks' fan I felt completely jerked around by the "will they or won't they" situation with Avery Johnson.As a season ticket holder I was infuriated by the line of "we are going to search high and low to find a new leadership voice for the team" only to hire Woodson's top assistant and make him the lowest paid coach in the entire NBA.This ownership group is honestly a bigger black eye on the city than Rankin & Taylor Smith ever were.

I really had no issue with the hiring of Larry Drew. I've never been one that has felt that just because he was Mike's assistant that he would be just like Mike. He's drastically different than Mike, and when they run the motion offense, they are very effective doing it.My issue with that situation is the fact that ownership did not let Rick Sund hire the guy he wanted to hire, which was Dwane Casey. Dwane is now Toronto's head coach, and he is in a much worse situation personnel wise than he would have been in if he had gotten the Atlanta job. All the talk about Avery Johnson didn't bother me, because I have long felt that Avery's reputation as a coach has far exceeded his actual ability as a head coach. To me, it would have been sensless to pay him $5+ million a season only to have a more amped up verson of Mike Woodson with the isolation heavy style.