• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2012 Olympics - U.S. TEAM

DJlaysitup

OK, Ok, ok... the Summer Olympics are right around the corner in London. I've always enjoyed the summers because they have the track and field events and the swimming.I figure we have an ecclectic group here at Hawksquawk and some folks will know about some events and some about others. May as well pool our knowledge before things get started across the pond.One thing I know (from the TV coverage on NBCSP) is that Ashton Eaton broke the world record for the Decathalon in qualifying at the U.S. trials in Oregon. That should make him a favorite in London - but he will have considerably stiffer competition over there.We should have the 2nd and 3rd best mens 100 meter sprinters in the world - but of course - who can beat Usain Bolt?I like our chances in the 400 meter mens and both 100 and 200 meter womens. Long distance-wise...bet on the Kenyans.Anyway - if anybody knows a bit about another event please post and share your knowledge..it's always fun to know a bit about an event when you watch it...Thanks!

Edited by DJlaysitup

IMO it would be a huge upset if the US woman dont repeat as gold medal winners in football since Germany arent there. The only thing that could hold them back is the arrogance of their goaltender. The US men didnt make the cut and I think Uraguay or Brazil take it.

• Premium Member

Tennis will be interesting. Olympic Gold is the only major title that Serena and Roger have yet to win in singles. It's probably the last real chance for both to complete the "Golden Slam." Nadal will be defending his gold medal and Djokovic will be looking to take his dominant play there.The Americans have a legit chance at the gold in men's doubles with the Bryans, who got the bronze in '08.

• 2 weeks later...

Serena (women's tennis - just won Wimbledon on same court - grass) should be a favourite for the gold. Not sure if they have doubles but if they do she and her sister should be good there too.Men's tennis-wise they should just have a 4 man tourney between Federer, Djokvic, Nadal, and Murray and save time.Swimming-wise we should be strong as usual - but the Eastern Euros and the Australians are usually good as well.Keep an eye out for womens rowing - yes - rowing. A friend of mine has a daughter who rowed in the Olympics 10 years ago and is now a coach and she says we will surprise and win medals there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, was going to post an Olympic thread but I'll jump on this one.I'm always excited to watch the mens baksetball. Say what you want about the ego's of some of the players on the team, you can't deny that they are the best in the world. I always love watching what they can do when all on the court at the same time.Beyond that, I like watching swimming since that was my main sport as a kid. Some gymnastics can be interesting (except the floor exercises). Cycling is always a good watch if you follow the sport (shorter than the Tour which is nice).The marathon can be interesting to see who blows away the completion. Seems like there's always someone who's miles out from everyone else.

My favorites are Basketball, Track and Field (100m - 1500m) and Swimming. I do however enjoy most of the other events like gymnastics and diving.

My favorites are Basketball, Track and Field (100m - 1500m) and Swimming. I do however enjoy most of the other events like gymnastics and diving.

I got a chance to see diving when the Olympics were here in Atlanta. To me, live in person, it was a little boring. The commentary on TV definitely makes it more interesting. The most exciting sport I got to see in person was weight lifting. That was one roudy crowd. The enthusiasm really doesn't come over on the TV, neither does the incredible weights these guys are lifting. You hear 500+ lbs and you think, "wow, that's a lot of weight", then you actually see it being lifted and the actual scale of what they are achieving really hits home. Incredible. Edited by ATLSmith

My husband and I were planning on being in London for the Olympics but I was out of work for a long time (finally back) which put that plan on hold. My cousin who lives there got tickets to the 100m Men's track and field final. All i could think about was "that could have been us"...damn damn damn.

I checked out CNN - SI and they have a rundown of the favortites in every "sport"...seriously...there are a bunch of events that I don't think should be "Olympic Sports"...like badmitton...singles men, singles women, and doubles. There is also a medal for paddling a Kayak fast. Boxing was one event that I am bummed about - we used to have a contender or favorite in nearly all weight classes but now we apparently suck. We do have a good female boxer, but that shouldn't even be an event IMO. Ping Pong always goes to the Chinese and shooting arrows is a big thing for the Koreans (amazed we don't have a native American entry). Judo gets a bunch of medals (?)....Rowing is apparently a big thing (?)...Fencing (oh gosh don't get me started)..there are like 8 gold medals for fencing...????? Here are the favorites in all sports: http://sportsillustr...p&sct=hp_t11_a3 P.S. - it isn't so much as surprising for me that a Jamaican runner is fastest...but they are also the favorites in the 4 x 100 relay...meaning they have depth.

Edited by PetroBlast

• Moderators

I does bother me that there is no entry for baseball since that is a sport played in North America, South America and Asia and not in Europe but the like 2,000 people in the entire world who do rhythmic gymnastics end up with a medal event. Dance should not be an Olympic event, IMO.I will say that I enjoy watching pretty much every event. The fact that it is the Olympics really raises the stakes and makes things like swimming exciting for me that I would not watch on any regular basis. I am hoping my kids enjoy the Olympics this year as well. Despite my best efforts, they aren't big sports fans yet but my oldest has begun getting interested and this might be another good step into fandom leading into the Hawks 2012-13 season!