• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We have been here before

Wurider05

Remember what happened last time we rebuilt. No one wanted to come here even though we had the money. So we ended up overpaying for JJ. You all need to stop building our future hopes around players that we don't have signed yet. What happens if (I assume when) we don't get Chris Paul or Dwight Howard? We are going to have to overpay some player just to come here again. That's why I was hoping we would have gotten Marshon Brooks in the JJ trade. Look at what is happening in Dallas. He allowed pieces of their team to walk away because he wanted Dwight Howard and Deron Williams. DWill chose the NETS instead. There are no rumors that Dallas is even a remote possibility for Howard.Becareful what you ask for.

• Like 2

So you're upset that we got rid of the guy that we were overpaying because you're afraid that we're going to have to overpay someone?

huh? How did you get that from his post..Just looked like don't repeat same mistakes to me

You make a good point and hopefully our leadership has figured this out. Basically..until ownership is solidified..we are treading water......but we may be able to make some moves under the radar that will help.

Edited by PetroBlast

Remember what happened last time we rebuilt. No one wanted to come here even though we had the money. So we ended up overpaying for JJ. You all need to stop building our future hopes around players that we don't have signed yet. What happens if (I assume when) we don't get Chris Paul or Dwight Howard? We are going to have to overpay some player just to come here again. That's why I was hoping we would have gotten Marshon Brooks in the JJ trade. Look at what is happening in Dallas. He allowed pieces of their team to walk away because he wanted Dwight Howard and Deron Williams. DWill chose the NETS instead. There are no rumors that Dallas is even a remote possibility for Howard. Becareful what you ask for.

I think we are heading in the right direction. At least Ferry is putting us in a position to be a player in the FA market. With Joe and Marvin here we couldnt make any moves to improve this team. The core was together for 5 years and we were not making any improvements. It was time to make a move. You dont build a contender or classful organization overnight. Once players start to see that the team and ownership are about winning the free agents will come.

yeah that had nothing to do with us being a 13 win cellar dwellar team that hadn't been to the playoffs since the 90s. This team that has been to the playoffs 5 straight years with all star talent is exactly like those Bob Sura, Theo Ratliff-esque teams lmao

Edited by Cwell

That's exactly the reason why we should do whatever it takes to trade for Dwight Howard. We absolutely cannot rely on free agency only to be left hanging again. At least if we get a superstar in a Hawks uniform the perception could change, our success could change, and the pressure for Dwight to re-sign here with that type of commitment and boldness would be overwhelming

So you're upset that we got rid of the guy that we were overpaying because you're afraid that we're going to have to overpay someone?

Pretty much sums it up. We will be overpaying on other contract(s), just not Joe's contract.

I think we are heading in the right direction. At least Ferry is putting us in a position to be a player in the FA market. With Joe and Marvin here we couldnt make any moves to improve this team. The core was together for 5 years and we were not making any improvements. It was time to make a move. You dont build a contender or classful organization overnight. Once players start to see that the team and ownership are about winning the free agents will come.

I agree. Change was inevitable. Now it's about putting the pieces together and we have lots of financial flexibility to do so. And I don't think it is the end of the world if we don't get Dwight. It would be awesome to get him and he would be the man in Atlanta no doubt, but if he doesn't want to come here then he doesn't want to come here. We will move on. Edited by HawkFan

Remember what happened last time we rebuilt. No one wanted to come here even though we had the money. So we ended up overpaying for JJ. You all need to stop building our future hopes around players that we don't have signed yet. What happens if (I assume when) we don't get Chris Paul or Dwight Howard? We are going to have to overpay some player just to come here again. That's why I was hoping we would have gotten Marshon Brooks in the JJ trade. Look at what is happening in Dallas. He allowed pieces of their team to walk away because he wanted Dwight Howard and Deron Williams. DWill chose the NETS instead. There are no rumors that Dallas is even a remote possibility for Howard. Becareful what you ask for.

You are right in that we've been here before but THANK DA GOOD LORD we don't have Sund or Billy Knight running the draft anymore. Do you know how well off we could have been as a franchise if BK had made better picks? I will admit we don't know what Danny has in store for us or the teams future. Only he knows and I'm willing to give him a chance just like I did with the Past Gms to show he couldn't get us back to formidable status. I like that Dan came from a well oiled front office such as the spurs which is why I am optimistic he can make more right moves than bad to bring respect to atlanta again.

You are right in that we've been here before but THANK DA GOOD LORD we don't have Sund or Billy Knight running the draft anymore. Do you know how well off we could have been as a franchise if BK had made better picks? I will admit we don't know what Danny has in store for us or the teams future. Only he knows and I'm willing to give him a chance just like I did with the Past Gms to show he couldn't get us back to formidable status. I like that Dan came from a well oiled front office such as the spurs which is why I am optimistic he can make more right moves than bad to bring respect to atlanta again.

It is a scary thought imagining where this team would be right now if a competent GM was here during the BK error (spelled correctly). Instead of Childress's trade exception, we'd have Iguodala, Deng, or Jefferson. Instead of waiting seven years on Marvin's 'upside', CP3 or Deron would've been riding shotgun with Smith. And would anyone of worth had spent a #5 pick on Mr. Candace Parker? I'd be a fool to have guaranteed a title but I'll step out there and say that there wouldn't be nearly as many giveaways at the gate if CP3 was lobbing alley-oops to Smith over the last seven years and there were better players surrounding JJ like Deng, Jefferson, Ellis, and Gay. Tell me that Howard wouldn't have been all but begging to come home if Deron, Iguodala, and Gay were here alongside Smith. But as they say, ce la vie... Edited by Dejay
  • Like 2

It is a scary thought imagining where this team would be right now if a competent GM was here during the BK error (spelled correctly). Instead of Childress's trade exception, we'd have Iguodala, Deng, or Jefferson. Instead of waiting seven years on Marvin's 'upside', CP3 or Deron would've been riding shotgun with Smith. And would anyone of worth had spent a #5 pick on Mr. Candace Parker? I'd be a fool to have guaranteed a title but I'll step out there and say that there wouldn't be nearly as many giveaways at the gate if CP3 was lobbing alley-oops to Smith over the last seven years and there were better players surrounding JJ like Deng, Jefferson, Ellis, and Gay. Tell me that Howard wouldn't have been all but begging to come home if Deron, Iguodala, and Gay were here alongside Smith. But as they say, ce la vie...

DeJay please spare me the nightmare man. I don't want to be reminded of that era. I almost wish David Stern could award us with compensatory picks like the nfl just so we can atone for BK's draft blunders. While I do admire his vision of building a team full of athletic 6'8 swingmen, he sucked at evaluating talent. I just couldn't wrap my mind around how we seem to be the only team in the NBA that missed in picking invaluable talent with all the lottery picks we possessed. We really passed on elite talent for the sake of a vision and potential. When you are picking that high in a draft, you are suppose to hit more times than not but BK found a way to exceed new levels of mediocrity. Just like the Falcons, I really hope Danny is the dawning of a new era of Hawks basketball sort of like how Blank finally stopped trying to spend his way to the superbowl and finally hired Dimitroff from a winning organization to put a solid system from top to bottom in place. I hope Danny is that man. We will see how this draft and the next two pans out since there is a good chance we might not sniff the playoffs next season or the one after next. I also hope houston doesn't stink it up this year so we can use their first round pick as well. As long as we play hard and inspired this season with Josh and Al getting used to shouldering the burden along with John Jenkins gaining valuable game time experience, I will be satisfied. We will see this season how good of a coach LD truly is. He has a lot of coaching to do this year instead of waiting for JJ to bail him out

First of all, this is not a rebuild. It is a remodel. The last time the Hawks rebuilt, they did not have Josh Smith, Al Horford, or Jeff Teague.

This is so important to remember.

Two all star caliber "swing bigs" and a young pg with top 10 pg potential. Currently own our first rounder which may net us a good young player and Houston's pick.Harris and Morrow may get us decent value during the deadline and upwards of 40 million in cap space in a CBA with no more 6 year contracts. We have never been here before.

• Moderators

Yes, I have been preaching this. It will only get you called names. Let the kids play.

Pretending like we tore down a championship contender is not the same thing. There is a good reason Josh Smith is suddenly more excited about being an Atlanta Hawk - there is real cause to hope for better things in the future. The path we were on didn't offer that hope. It did offer a higher floor, though. I don't get those that are crying about losing the higher floor of an early playoff exit roster.
  • Like 1

Guest Walter

That's exactly the reason why we should do whatever it takes to trade for Dwight Howard. We absolutely cannot rely on free agency only to be left hanging again. At least if we get a superstar in a Hawks uniform the perception could change, our success could change, and the pressure for Dwight to re-sign here with that type of commitment and boldness would be overwhelming

I agree. Trading for DH is our best means to a franchise paradigm shift. Easy enough to figure the little things out afterwards and getting Dwight now utterly removes the Nets from the equation (as they will have to resign their current players or find others as they don't want to open in Brooklyn without at least a highly competitive team). Still, Horford/Teague/Houston 1st or our 1st in 2014 is a lot and still might not be enough. We might need to give both picks

Just wondering.

1) How many of you think JS, DH and CP3 have talked already? If DH is brought here, CP3 is immediately on his speed dial. DH looks for reasons to stay here, not reasons to not come here. He recruits for himself and therefore for us.

2) Is there any better way for DH to rehabilitate his image than coming home to Atlanta? Unlike Lebron who left his hometown of Cleveland on bad terms and had to win a title to help his image, DH can immediately help his image by gracefully returning to his hometown. Unfortunately for DH, being graceful, much less decisive, has not been his strength.

W