• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Potential trade rumor: Kyle Korver for Atlanta TPE

pimp

MacCase's point about Korver's contract not being a valuable trade asset is right - unless you plan to take on a long-term salary that another team doesn't want or you think someone will deal you an expiring contract and a better pick.

A team chasing a ring may trade away their late 1st rounder for an expiring contract that fills a need. He also me be a good contract filler in a Howard trade. Atlanta has no cap space to sign a starting caliber SF. Our only tools for getting a SF are using the TPE in a trade, trading players on the roster, and veteran minimum contract players.
  • Like 1

Korver's skills are redundant. A center or SF that could start would make a lot more sense

Well of course a legit starting SF or C is better then Kyle Korver............go find one who a team will give away for a trade exception. You have to assume Ferry is working the phone to see if their is a better option.

All I know is Korver can give us more floor production then the TPE can.

If he was not an expiring contract then I could understand the emotional resentment. I just don't get why people get all worked up over somethng like this when he is an expiring contract.

Edited by coachx

A team chasing a ring may trade away their late 1st rounder for an expiring contract that fills a need. He also me be a good contract filler in a Howard trade. Atlanta has no cap space to sign a starting caliber SF. Our only tools for getting a SF are using the TPE in a trade, trading players on the roster, and veteran minimum contract players.

In all likelihood we'd also have to take on a non-expiring contract to get that 1st round pick.
  • Like 1

I doubt anyone here would disagree with that, but who are we going to get for $5 million bucks who is also available via trade and expires after this season?

Could of gotten Dorell Wright who Philly got for some Euro-stash player only. Cost 1 million less, expires, rebounds, can score in a larger role, a team can actually survive with him on the court for over 20 minutes and despite being a bad defender is miles ahead of Korver. Edited by MaceCase

Could of gotten Dorell Wright who Philly got for some Euro-stash player only. Cost 1 million less, expires, rebounds, can score in a larger role, a team can actually survive with him on the court for over 25 minutes and despite being a bad defender is miles ahead of Korver.

The Warriors got Jarret Jack for Dorell Wright. I think Warriors wanted to get a player back for Wright.........not a trade exception.....but I do agree Wright is miles ahead of Korver. I think the Warriors really wanted insurance for Stephen Curry AND wanted to clear out floor minutes for Harrison Barnes at SF. Edited by coachx

The Warriors got Jarret Jack for Dorell Wright. I think Warriors wanted to get a player back for Wright.........not a trade exception.....but I do agree Wright is miles ahead of Korver.

Hornets jumped in after the trade was already discussed between Philly and GS. The Warriors were fortunate to come up with a backup guard but they were just as happy to move Wright for air.

Could of gotten Dorell Wright who Philly got for some Euro-stash player only. Cost 1 million less, expires, rebounds, can score in a larger role, a team can actually survive with him on the court for over 20 minutes and despite being a bad defender is miles ahead of Korver.

I agree that he would have been better but I think that the Wright deal was made before our trade was official so we couldn't have gotten in on that deal. What I'm more interested in hearing is who should we go for now that is available and also a better fit under the TPE than Korver.

I don't think we have to get anyone. We have went years without ever getting a real starting C. We have shown several times that you don't have to fill all your holes and Ferry is not doing a great job of creating a balanced team. Why would we spend $5 million more on something we don't need? If anything we should be trying to trade some of our salary to get under the cap so we could pick up Brendan Haywood or some other valuable piece that could be amnestied.

I don't think we have to get anyone. We have went years without ever getting a real starting C. We have shown several times that you don't have to fill all your holes and Ferry is not doing a great job of creating a balanced team. Why would we spend $5 million more on something we don't need? If anything we should be trying to trade some of our salary to get under the cap so we could pick up Brendan Haywood or some other valuable piece that could be amnestied.

The only way we could get under the cap now would be to trade current players to teams far enough under the cap to absorb them without sending salary back. At this point that's fairly unrealistic as we don't have many desirable players so we'd have to attach draft picks to those players and that's definitely not going to happen.

Well that would have been more realistic if Ferry had have made better moves like holding off on signing Williams until he saw how the market was going to shake out. Just because it is easier to take on more salary I don't think we should choose that option.

Well that would have been more realistic if Ferry had have made better moves like holding off on signing Williams until he saw how the market was going to shake out. Just because it is easier to take on more salary I don't think we should choose that option.

I just don't see how not using the TPE or having some scrub like a Dampier is better than finding a guy who is a productive bench player and one of the best 3pt shooters in the league. If there were better options for the TPE then I'm all for it, but I've yet to see anyone come up with a better option at this point.

Buzz is the one who believes that Korver on his own holds tremendous value both for the roster and as an expiring.

Over statement, You said only if Howard is in tow, now that is tremendous and pretty stupid to even mention TBH. No we don't have to use the exception, duh, so tell us something we don't know please. Korver is a good fit simply because a team can always use a shooter and we do not have very many players that can 1 shoot and 2 play SF. Now argue with that and tell me we have someone I don't know of that can do those two things better than Korver.

I just don't see how not using the TPE or having some scrub like a Dampier is better than finding a guy who is a productive bench player and one of the best 3pt shooters in the league. If there were better options for the TPE then I'm all for it, but I've yet to see anyone come up with a better option at this point.

yeah I mean if we can get someone better for practically free then i'm all for it but so far he is the best option available. It works for us cause we get a backup SF who is an excellent 3pt shooter, an average bench player (better than Etan Thomas and Eric"Scrubadubdub" Dampier), and an another expiring contract that we can trade for later. Chicago wants to rebuild for 2013 since Rose is out for several more months so its a win-win for both teams. The only reason why Chicago wanted to trade him to Portland or Minnesota first was due to the fact that they probably could've gotten something in return.
  • Like 1

wow I did not know he shot 43% from three last year, that's really good.

With 271 attempts as well, so it's not like it was a fluke. In fact he's a 41% 3pt shooter for his career as well. Plus he's 6'7 and fairly well built so he can actually play SF without being physically dominated by most of his opponents. He's not a bad defender either, posting a positive NET PER of 5.3 at SG (23% of teams minutes) and 1.4 at SF (33% of teams minutes). By contrast, Marvin posted a positive NET PER of 2.9 at SF while playing 35% of the teams minutes there. Not exactly a huge drop off and we added Devin Harris so getting Korver would be a big win for us.

wow I did not know he shot 43% from three last year, that's really good.

Korver has had a TS% of 60% in 2 of the past 3 years and an eFG% of 57% in 2 of the past 3 years. His career TS% is 57%. This is a player who is an efficient scorer who does it because he can hit the long range jump shot consistently. His defensive rating this past year was also 101. Joe Johnson's was 105, yet some of you think he was a lock down defender on the perimeter for the Hawks. Korver also produced 0.171 WS48 this past year, which makes his $5 million salary a bargain. If we can get him for the TPE, we should do it. What's funny is that Mr. Meltdown seems to think this team cannot survive without Joe Johnson's shooting, but somehow it is a bad idea to bring in someone who is a more efficient scorer and better shooter than Joe is and costs a quarter of the price. Basically, the Hawks have easily replaced Joe's production with just the addition of Lou Williams. If they add Korver, it is gravy. Particularly with a head coach who runs what is essentially a 4 out, 1 in motion offense.