• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thoughts Go Out to Aurora, Colorado

phoostal

I've been reading about the massacre today and catching info on the tv. I just want to say it is very saddening and sobering news. Very horrific event that took place. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families. I really don't understand people that do this and maybe they aren't meant to be understood. We probably should focus more on the victims than that sicko. Once again a sad day and I hope the families of all those hurt can overcome this tragedy.

• Premium Member

I've been reading about the massacre today and catching info on the tv. I just want to say it is very saddening and sobering news. Very horrific event that took place. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families. I really don't understand people that do this and maybe they aren't meant to be understood. We probably should focus more on the victims than that sicko. Once again a sad day and I hope the families of all those hurt can overcome this tragedy.

It may not be over yet. It sounds like the nutjob booby trapped his apartment with explosives. And that's just what we know about.

• Premium Member

Yeah I read and saw that as well. Luckily everyone has been evacuated within a 5 mile radius.

Hopefully that's enough and he didn't leave any surprises anywhere else. If this guy thinks he is The Joker, that's not a safe bet.

• Moderators

I have to say that I detest the media attention this guy is getting. He is becoming a celebrity like the Columbine killers. Not a good thing for society that we become so fascinated with this kind of cult of personality. If a seriously unbalanced person wants to make themselves "immortal" and make a mark on the world, just go do something desperately evil like this and the press will be covering you 24/7 and writing books about you for years to come. I wish they didn't ever show the idiot's picture or mention his name.

• Premium Member

I have to say that I detest the media attention this guy is getting. He is becoming a celebrity like the Columbine killers. Not a good thing for society that we become so fascinated with this kind of cult of personality. If a seriously unbalanced person wants to make themselves "immortal" and make a mark on the world, just go do something desperately evil like this and the press will be covering you 24/7 and writing books about you for years to come. I wish they didn't ever show the idiot's picture or mention his name.

As always, not fair to blame the media for giving people what they want. Most people are fascinated by violence and the grotesque. The only places where stories like this wouldn't be front-page nonstop news is in countries without a free press. Anyway, I've never understood the outrage people show toward media "sensationalism." If you don't like it, don't watch it, and convince your friends to do the same. Tell them to stick to news sources that make a concerted effort to avoid sensationalism - e.g., reading The Economist and The Wall Street Journal, listening to NPR or BBC World, and watching C-SPAN.

The problem is, you won't get too many people to do that. Believe me, I've tried.

Edited by niremetal

• Moderators

As always, not fair to blame the media for giving people what they want. Most people are fascinated by violence and the grotesque. The only places where stories like this wouldn't be front-page nonstop news is in countries without a free press. Anyway, I've never understood the outrage people show toward media "sensationalism." If you don't like it, don't watch it, and convince your friends to do the same. Tell them to stick to news sources that make a concerted effort to avoid sensationalism - e.g., reading The Economist and The Wall Street Journal, listening to NPR or BBC World, and watching C-SPAN.

The problem is, you won't get too many people to do that. Believe me, I've tried.

I think a lot of us grew up with a media that was less prone to absolutely beat a story into the ground and breathlessly pound every moment of "OMG, what is Kim Kardashian doing today????" into our skulls and we resent what we see today. The coverage of killers like this is a more dangerous form of the same.

Of course, you are right that the media is pushing the "lowest common denominator" philosophy of selling what the people are buying. If we all stopped clicking that latest link, etc. on these stories then they would move on to something else that sold. That doesn't stop it from bothering me.