• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC Article on Jeff Teague

Jody23

• Premium Member

Atlanta Hawks: Jeff Teague looks forward to being ‘focal point’ 6:12 pm August 1, 2012, by Michael CunninghamCaught up with Jeff Teague at the Hawks’ youth basketball camp in Suwanee. As we were talking, some dude came up and expressed his dismay at the Hawks trading for Devin Harris and signing Louis Williams because he saw this as a threat to Teague’s playing time.I smiled because the guy’s angst sounded familiar. It’s the same sentiment I hear all the time from my blog people, who tend to freak out whenever there’s a better-than-terrible guard on the roster who can play the point behind Teague.Never mind that Teague ranked third on the team in minutes played per game last season and logged about 80 percent of the minutes at point guard, according to 82games.com. Forget that Teague remained the starter after Kirk Hinrich returned from injury last season. Set aside Danny Ferry’s statement that the Hawks “will be more of Jeff’s team than it has ever been.”Like that dude who cornered Teague, my blog people think back to Teague’s history with Larry Drew and just know that he’s waiting to trap door Teague.Teague does not have those same concerns.“I was going to come in confident and ready to play,” he said. “I’m familiar with Coach Drew. I was ready. When the trade happened I saw it as an opportunity to step up and play even better. That’s what I’m going to do.”Seriously, though, I don’t mean to dismiss my blog peoples’ concern over whether Teague will get more opportunities. You have good reasons to be a bit skeptical, not least of all the fact that Teague made another big jump in scoring efficiency last season but his usage actually decreased a bit.Some of you blame Drew for that but, from my seat near Atlanta’s bench, I can tell you that Drew regularly barked “Go get it, Jeff!” when Josh Smith, Joe Johnson or Al Horford collected a rebound. Drew wanted the ball in Teague’s hands so the Hawks could play faster (at least until it became Joe’s show late in games).Instead, Teague usually would stay on his side of the court and wait for the ball to come his way or make a halfhearted effort to convince his teammate to give up the rock. He’s got to demand the ball if it’s going to be his show.“I’ve got to be more of a leader,” Teague said. “I looked to other guys last year like Joe and Marvin [Williams] and those guys. I feel like it’s my time to step up and be a leader along with Josh and Al and try to be that third guy.”Perhaps 2012-13 will be the year when it all comes together for Teague. The organization gets behind him; Drew gives him more opportunities in the offense; Teague finally becomes more assertive, and the absence of Joe means there’s one less guy for Teague to defer to. At the very least, there should be more shots to go around.Even Teague isn’t sure how the lineup is going to shake out, noting that the Hawks are “a lot smaller but a lot faster.”He said he can envision Harris playing alongside him at two guard. The same goes for Louis Williams. Maybe it’s Josh at small forward with Zaza Pachulia at center (which would make for a small frontcourt off the bench unless Ferry adds another center). Or maybe it’s Kyle Korver at small forward with Harris or Anthony Morrow at shooting guard (but I still can’t shake the image of Teague shutting down Korver in the 2011 playoffs) .Right now, the Hawks have an awfully small backcourt with three guys who like to work with the ball in their hand (though Harris did play off ball some in Utah). Teague said they can make it work.“We all can score the basketball,” he said. “We don’t really have a big two right now. We have a lot of shooters but Joe was a big two. We are just going to have to do it all collectively with Joe and Al and [now] I feel like I can be an elite point guard.”He’s got a long way to go to reach that level but he got better last season and there’s still room for growth.Teague’s 3-point shooting was better until his percentages took a big dive over the final 25 games. It appeared Teague lost confidence in his 3-pointer when he started missing a few but he brushed it off.“Everybody goes through a slump during the year,” he said. “Mine just happened to be at the end. Hopefully I can come back shooting even better and be more effective.”Even when Teague was making 3-pointers, opponents defended him by going under screens. With that in mind, Teague said he’s focused on his mid-range J this summer, another aspect of his game that improved significantly last season.Teague got to the basket frequently last season but didn’t finish strongly or draw a high rate of fouls when he got there.“I can’t do anything about fouls,” he said, smiling. “Finishing on layups, that’s on me. I can go in there and dunk the basketball. I could just take it right to the rim but I shot floaters because I thought guys could come over and block it.”Teague also will have to be sharper defensively on screen-rolls. He went through periods where he seemed to be nonchalant about fighting through screens.That’s reflected by the 0.8 points per possession posted by opposing pick-and-roll ballhandlers, a number that ranked 117th in the league according to Synergy Sports Technology. Also notice that Teague’s opposing PER is a pedestrian 16.2 in spite of an effective field-goal percentage allowed of just 47.3–those 17.5 field goal attempts and 9.6 assists per 48 minutes stand out. A player with Teague’s physical skills can do better.Teague said he only recently got a chance to meet with Ferry because of the GM’s busy schedule and Teague’s two-week trip to China for an NBA outreach program. Teague said Ferry’s a “smart guy” with a plan that includes Teague as a major piece.“He told me he was looking forward to working with me and he really liked my game,” Teague said. “He didn’t know how the trade and stuff would go but he knew I was going to be a focal point"

"I've got to be more of a leader," Teague said. "I looked to other guys last year like Joe and Marvin [Williams] and those guys. I feel like it's my time to step up and be a leader along with Josh and Al and try to be that third guy."

He said he can envision Harris playing alongside him at two guard. The same goes for Louis Williams. Maybe it's Josh at small forward with Zaza Pachulia at center (which would make for a small frontcourt off the bench unless Ferry adds another center). Or maybe it's Kyle Korver at small forward with Harris or Anthony Morrow at shooting guard (but I still can't shake the image of Teague shutting down Korver in the 2011 playoffs) .

"We all can score the basketball," he said. "We don't really have a big two right now. We have a lot of shooters but Joe was a big two. We are just going to have to do it all collectively with Joe and Al and [now] I feel like I can be an elite point guard."

Even when Teague was making 3-pointers, opponents defended him by going under screens. With that in mind, Teague said he's focused on his mid-range J this summer, another aspect of his game that improved significantly last season.

Teague got to the basket frequently last season but didn't finish strongly or draw a high rate of fouls when he got there.

"I can't do anything about fouls," he said, smiling. "Finishing on layups, that's on me. I can go in there and dunk the basketball. I could just take it right to the rim but I shot floaters because I thought guys could come over and block it."

Teague also will have to be sharper defensively on screen-rolls. He went through periods where he seemed to be nonchalant about fighting through screens.

That's reflected by the 0.8 points per possession posted by opposing pick-and-roll ballhandlers, a number that ranked 117th in the league according to Synergy Sports Technology. Also notice that Teague's opposing PER is a pedestrian 16.2 in spite of an effective field-goal percentage allowed of just 47.3–those 17.5 field goal attempts and 9.6 assists per 48 minutes stand out. A player with Teague's physical skills can do better.

"He told me he was looking forward to working with me and he really liked my game," Teague said. "He didn't know how the trade and stuff would go but he knew I was going to be a focal point"

--------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------

These are my favorite parts of this article especially the underline plus bold parts. I like that teague feels he can be elite that means his confidence is going up and I like that he wants to step up and be a leader and I like that Teague feels that he is that 3rd man in other words that 3rd important player along with josh and al! AND I like that Ferry told Teague that he likes his game and that Teague was a focal point in his vision of the new look for the hawks!

Best article I have read from ajc in a long while...well really since the whole trade and things took place! but yeah you guys just dont know how good that is for us! I really BIG on teague I think his speed can make him a all star as well as his skill set! now I dont know about elite but if he feels he can do it than Im def not going to be against it!

I bet teague surprise most hawk fans when he average close to 18 points a game and 6 assist! not having Johnson around is going to make some of these guys really step their game up especially teague! the dude is going to clown you watch and see!

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

The concerning part I saw was when Drew would implore Teague go get the ball, it seems all the blame was placed on Teague for not being assertive in demanding the ball on rebounds. I agree Teague has to aggressively demand the ball on rebounds, but this is also a failure on Drew's part. For whatever reason, it seems he won't get behind his point guard demand the other guys to give up the ball on rebounds so that Teague can push the tempo. Drew needs to assert himself as coach of the team.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

From the article:Teague also will have to be sharper defensively on screen-rolls. He went through periods where he seemed to be nonchalant about fighting through screens.That’s reflected by the 0.8 points per possession posted by opposing pick-and-roll ballhandlers, a number that ranked 117th in the league according to Synergy Sports Technology. Also notice that Teague’s opposing PER is a pedestrian 16.2 in spite of an effective field-goal percentage allowed of just 47.3–those 17.5 field goal attempts and 9.6 assists per 48 minutes stand out. A player with Teague’s physical skills can do better.Wow. I knew Teague was bad on defense last year but seriously 117th? Yikes. He absolutely has to fight through screens better than that.

This article confirms what i've seen in Jeff. He's a shy guy that really isn't a leader. He's simply too passive to be PG. I like that Ferry brought in guys to push Jeff. Maybe Jeff will become more assertive, but it is relatively rare that passive guys develop an assertive streak (ahem, Marvin). I would love to see Jeff become the PG this franchise has sorely missed since Mookie, but Jeff's lack of leadship abilities make me doubt that he'll rise to that challenge.On the other hand, Devin Harris really could fill the role of starting PG and solidify this team. He is assertive and will get guys to give him the ball. On the offensive end, he'll work with Josh and Al to get them the ball where they want it.

The concerning part I saw was when Drew would implore Teague go get the ball, it seems all the blame was placed on Teague for not being assertive in demanding the ball on rebounds. I agree Teague has to aggressively demand the ball on rebounds, but this is also a failure on Drew's part. For whatever reason, it seems he won't get behind his point guard demand the other guys to give up the ball on rebounds so that Teague can push the tempo. Drew needs to assert himself as coach of the team.

Teague has to take that on himself. Do you really want your floor general to have to have the coach telling players to dribble over to him and give him the ball? I sure as heck don't! Teague needs to man up and demand the ball if he's ever going to be the leader of this team.

• Premium Member

Teague has to take that on himself. Do you really want your floor general to have to have the coach telling players to dribble over to him and give him the ball? I sure as heck don't! Teague needs to man up and demand the ball if he's ever going to be the leader of this team.

I do believe I said that Teague does need to aggressively demand the ball. However, the coach should and needs to have control of his entire team. As a coach, you can't yell at your point to go get the ball and then not back him up when he does and other players (namely Josh) don't relinquesh the ball. As the coach, it's Drew's job not only to empower his point guard, but to also put other guys in check when they get in the way of that.
  • Like 1

I do believe I said that Teague does need to aggressively demand the ball. However, the coach should and needs to have control of his entire team. As a coach, you can't yell at your point to go get the ball and then not back him up when he does and other players (namely Josh) don't relinquesh the ball. As the coach, it's Drew's job not only to empower his point guard, but to also put other guys in check when they get in the way of that.

Jeff even admitted he was passive about getting the ball. Until the point comes where he tries to physically take the ball from another player and that player refuses I'm not putting it on the coach.

Jeff even admitted he was passive about getting the ball. Until the point comes where he tries to physically take the ball from another player and that player refuses I'm not putting it on the coach.

But you've got to admit that it is a sad state of affairs when the PG has to "steal" the ball from a teammate in order to do his job.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

It's true that Jeff was passive in that regard far too often. However, if we're honest about it, there were several times where Teague would run towards Josh with his hands out calling for the ball, and Josh would simply ignore him. What does Drew do about that? Nothing. That's bad coaching Dolf. As a contrast, take Pop as an example. If Dejuan Blair or ANY of there other bigs consistently ignored Parker upon rebounding the ball and tried to push it themselves, do you think Pop's response would be to say nothing or to say "well he's a good player and he does alot for us"? Absolutely not, Blair, Duncan or anybody else would get checked and benched until they got the picture. He wouldn't wait for Parker to have to resort to "physically" taking the ball from those guys. That's good coaching. So, again, I'm not saying Teague doesn't bare responsibility, but I am saying Drew bares responsibility here too. If you want your point guard to be empowered, you have to back him up when other guys are clearly not playing their roles.

• Premium Member

But you've got to admit that it is a sad state of affairs when the PG has to "steal" the ball from a teammate in order to do his job.

Very sad indeed. How many times do we have to hear Nique say "you have to five the ball to your guard" during Hawks broadcasts when Josh tries to do his own thing? Better yet, without distinguishing between good and bad, how many coaches in the NBA besides Drew would allow the situation to get to the point of having to physically steal the ball from a teammate?

• Premium Member

I agree that Jeff needs to be more assertive but we literally saw in the games Josh would stand there and SCREAM at Teague when Jeff called for the ball to run the offense because God forbid anyone but Josh have the ball. It is more than fair to blame the coach for letting a non point guard get away with hogging the ball like that.

Drew is not Jeffrey's daddy, he's not going to walk on the court each time and personally place the ball in Jeffrey's hands after a rebound. He's not going to call a time out either just to accomplish this. He's not going to punish other guys and put them on timeouts in the corner just so Jeffrey can feel good. Jeffrey needs to grow a pair and assert himself on the team and even if it may upset certain individuals at first they will eventually come to respect Jeffrey for being a man about it and not expecting daddy to come handle everything for him. It's ridiculous the amount of impact both positively and negatively people attribute to coaches

• Like 1

Drew is not Jeffrey's daddy, he's not going to walk on the court each time and personally place the ball in Jeffrey's hands after a rebound. He's not going to call a time out either just to accomplish this. He's not going to punish other guys and put them on timeouts in the corner just so Jeffrey can feel good. Jeffrey needs to grow a pair and assert himself on the team and even if it may upset certain individuals at first they will eventually come to respect Jeffrey for being a man about it and not expecting daddy to come handle everything for him. It's ridiculous the amount of impact both positively and negatively people attribute to coaches

I still sand by my earlier statement. "You've got to admit that it is a sad state of affairs when the PG has to "steal" the ball from a teammate in order to do his job." It is a pathetic job of coaching in that this issue even has to be thought of, to say nothing of the idiocy of the players to whom it applies. The only way Teague can get the ball from Smith is to "steal" it from him.