• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Observations from watching the game

capstone21

• Admin

I was able to watch the game on the SUN networkSince it is preseason I won't put too much stock into it butLou is horrible at point guard...he only really looked for his shot and was not getting anyone else involved. That being said..he is going to score a lot this year.Josh played well but was taking a lot of long jumpers again. I don't know why he was doing that. Contradicts what he has been sayingKorver was going in for rebounds a lot...really surprised thatGood team defense...a lot of quick handsI was not impressed with teagues playmaking either...hopefully this will improve.Tolliver looked pretty goodAl was solid but was not really sticking outDid not realize Stephenson was a three point shooterIvan looks like he is going to blow up on someoneNo one else really stood out.Surprised Jenkins didn't get a few minutes out thereZaza and Harris were held out due to mild injuries.Fans although not many were there were more for Miami and LebronLou blocked Lebron which was cool although heat announcers made excuses for it

Edited by capstone21
  • Like 2

I didn't see the game but this is what LD said about Lou Williams:

Jeff Teague started at point guard, but coach Larry Drew used Williams at the position for much of his time in the game. Williams hit 5 of 6 from the field, including 2 of 3 from 3-point range. The Hawks collectively shot 38.1 percent (8 of 21) from beyond the arc.

“I was very happy with the way he led the team,” Drew said. “He was a point for us tonight. In the past he’s played a lot off the ball where he’s been predominately a scorer. He’s been playing some point guard through training camp and I wanted to use him in that capacity tonight. He was aggressive when he had to be. He got us into an offense when we needed to be. I was extremely, extremely happy with how well he defended.”

What is LD doing? Lou is not a PG - I hope he is going to force feed him to be a PG like he did with Jamal.

Jeff Teague started at point guard, but coach Larry Drew used Williams at the position for much of his time in the game. Williams hit 5 of 6 from the field, including 2 of 3 from 3-point range. The Hawks collectively shot 38.1 percent (8 of 21) from beyond the arc.

“I was very happy with the way he led the team,” Drew said. “He was a point for us tonight. In the past he’s played a lot off the ball where he’s been predominately a scorer. He’s been playing some point guard through training camp and I wanted to use him in that capacity tonight. He was aggressive when he had to be. He got us into an offense when we needed to be. I was extremely, extremely happy with how well he defended.”

What is LD doing? Lou is not a PG - I hope he is going to force feed him to be a PG like he did with Jamal.

Larry is starting to get on my nerves.

• Admin

It was probably because Harris is out but Lou just did not play the facilitator well at all.

Did not watch the game and was wandering if any ball movement on offense or was it one on one. I can see Williams being selfish with the ball. Maybe LD is trying to get him to pass the ball by playing him at point but he needs to be our SG by the start of the season.GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Lou Williams played over 20 minutes at the PG position and got one assist. People complained all year about Teague's assists even though they could clearly see that Zaza messed up assists every game and that Teague was really not running the offense that much. It was going through the elbows and such more than Teague. Lou is even worse than Teague. 5 assists in 25 minutes is not bad. Not ideal or what I think he should be doing but he is definitely better than Lou and Harris is not notably better.

I think this is going to be one of those teams that throw out a lot of fool's gold. They will claim to be balanced until it is clutch time and then they will start asking themselves who takes the shot.You can not be letting Lou Williams dominate the ball and not get Al Horford into the flow. You can not have every starter getting more shots than Al except Teague. There are certain guys that need to be focal points. Josh and Lou are going to get there shots because they are both shot takers. Lou has been called a chucker,ballhog, ball dominator, ball stopper, and Josh is just a shot taker, bad shot good shot, he just takes shots. Those are the worst two to have with high usage rates.

Harris is the better playmaker then both but he is just an avg facilitator himself

I disagree and I don't see many facts to support him being a better playmaker than Teague. I think he is a better lob passer and that is about it.
  • Like 1

People complained all year about Teague's assists even though they could clearly see that Zaza messed up assists every game

Take it back. Zaza missed layups on purpose so that Teague's assist numbers could stay low and he could have a chance for Most Improved Player this year.
  • Like 2

Al continues to pass up shots. He has to be more aggressive on offense. Morrow had a horrible game. Josh will average 20 points this year. I wish he would go back to attempting to block every shot that went up. Lou will make up for Joe's scoring with no problem this year. Really wanted to see Jenkins and Benson play, perhaps next game.