• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What would make this a Successful Season?

OGRat

• Premium Member

I definitely agree that we need a number one option. On the other hand, I am optimistic about this season because the Hawks is seemingly a different organization with DF at the helm. I actually feel like we are in it to win it (long-term), not just to make the playoffs. A successful season for me would be one in which the team's image continues to change for the better. If we are able to sign Harden (not debating if he is a number one or not) or one of the leagues premier free agents next off season, to me that is a sign of positive image change. Like Grey Mule has stated, we have not had much luck bringing in premier talents in the past. I like the positive press the team is getting, but a successful season to me depends on next offseason (as many have said). I'd like our organization to garner enough respect due to its moves going into next season, so that we are no longer a surprise when we do something positive. I want other teams and GMs to envy what the Hawks do, like the Lakers and the Spurs. OGrat

I'm excited about the season too, but it's clear that Danny Ferry has placed high expectations upon himself with the moves he's made and some of the rhetoric he's used. We're all very interested to see how he realistically thinks he can accomplish making the Hawks a title contender. Should be interesting.

• Premium Member

Success: Make the playoffs and ship Josh Smith @ the deadline for a borderline all-star SF. No reason to offer him the max deal he will be seeking in the offseason.

The main thing I agree with in your statement is that the Hawks shouldn't offer a max deal to Smith. That would be a mistake.

• Moderators

Nobody gonna jump all over my Teague 7-assist comment, huh?

Honestly, I think 7 is not that big of a reach, although I feel the PG spot will be ran by committee. I believe saying that Teague (7), Devin (4), and Lou (3) will average 14 apg collectively this season is not a mind-blowing statement. I have said that I believe Teague is the second coming of Atlanta's beloved Mookie Blaylock and in Mookie's 4th season (which Teague is entering his 4th), he averaged little over 8 apg. Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87

Sothron:Guess it depends on the definition of "Super Star."Some might say that there are a lot of 'em and I might believe there are very few.If we look around and find there are many, yes, we may sign one or two. However, ifthere are no more than six or seven in the NBA, our chances are slim and none.----

Edited by Gray Mule

Success: Make the playoffs and ship Josh Smith @ the deadline for a borderline all-star SF. No reason to offer him the max deal he will be seeking in the offseason.

I don't know man. Depending on how he plays he may command the max deal from many teams in this league. I don't think management ever wants to give players the max, but sometimes, the league determines their worth. For all his flaws, Josh is a very very good player and a unique talent. If he makes the All-Star team this year he'll be considered an outstanding player.

• Premium Member

Sothron: Guess it depends on the definition of "Super Star." Some might say that there are a lot of 'em and I might believe there are very few. If we look around and find there are many, yes, we may sign one or two. However, if there are no more than six or seven in the NBA, our chances are slim and none. ----

But why are you insisting we have no chances of getting one? I don't see the logic of your position. Are you saying we'll never get one because we're Atlanta and traditionally we don't have superstars?

Just based on past history. It may happen yet. Something could happen

that would cause one or more of these Super Stars to wish to play here.

Atlanta is a great city and many pro players live in the area. Yet, they don't

come here and play for the Hawks. Things could change. Atlanta could

become "The place to be, as a player, in the NBA."

It's never happened. I've never won the lottery either. I keep hoping for

both to happen - - - But, so far, it hasn't.

Do you see things changing to the point where Super Stars will desire to

come to Atlanta? Actually, first we must decide how many really are in the

Super Star catagory to choose from. That makes a big difference.

• Premium Member

I don't know man. Depending on how he plays he may command the max deal from many teams in this league. I don't think management ever wants to give players the max, but sometimes, the league determines their worth. For all his flaws, Josh is a very very good player and a unique talent. If he makes the All-Star team this year he'll be considered an outstanding player.

The Hawks have to use their capspace wisely, especially in light of the situation they just came from. I definitely think Josh should be paid what he deserves. But that's not a max contract. If another team wants to offer that, then I wish him well. Signing him to a max deal would be repeating the Joe Johnson debacle all over again. No matter how much we love him, Josh is not a max player.

• Premium Member

Just based on past history. It may happen yet. Something could happen

that would cause one or more of these Super Stars to wish to play here.

Atlanta is a great city and many pro players live in the area. Yet, they don't

come here and play for the Hawks. Things could change. Atlanta could

become "The place to be, as a player, in the NBA."

Do you see things changing to the point where Super Stars will desire to

come to Atlanta? Actually, first we must decide how many really are in the

Super Star catagory to choose from. That makes a big difference.

To answer your question...yes, actually, I do believe that. The main thing holding this franchise back in recent years has been the pariah status of the owners. Now that they have finally seen the light and hired a highly regarded GM and also gave him total power over the team you have seen a marked difference already in perception of the franchise. The comments from our players, other players and media and pundits around the league has been almost universal in praise of Ferry and the job he has been allowed to do.

There has never been a better time to make a play for a superstar under our current ownership. We finally have significant cap space after this season and have players good enough to stand on their own to attract attention. If we can get a superstar and let said superstar see Ferry in action and know the franchise is in the right hands all the other bonuses Atlanta has will finally be used as a draw. In terms of life style, entertainment and let's be frank probably the best city in America for African Americans to live in Atlanta stands second to none.

This is the chance we as fans have been dreaming and praying for.

• Moderators

As a rebuilding fall back, odds are much better to win the NBA lottery than the GA lottery. That is why I like New Orlean's plan last offseason to go with less immediate talent and more long-range talent so they could suck and play the lottery game. Now they have a team with Anthony Davis to rebuild which gives them their best base of talent since Alonzo Mourning was a Hornet.

I agree with Sothron that you take your shots at landing a Dwight, etc. and you look to the lottery if that fails. I don't like gunning for an Indiana Pacers (today) or Houston Rockets (recent years) sort of team.