• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Braves sign B.J. Upton to a 5 year/75.25mil deal

AHawks89

I like the signing, regardless how many he strikes out. He brings a lot to the table.1. Prado/Simmons2. Upton3. Heyward4. Freeman5. McCann6. UgglaNow should we go for Pagan/Victorino/Shin-Soo Choo? We need money in the future so we can sign our young core too.

Edited by AHawks89

• Moderators

Wait did I miss something...what happened to Bourne?

He's looking for $15 million a year and the Braves said no thank you. I'm not sure he'll get it. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with something like upton but i don't really know much about baseball free agency these days. So Bourne is gone. He was fantastic but seemed pretty streaky with the bat. Upton seems at the age where he could really break out more than he already has.

• Moderators

This will be interesting. I am wary of players with flawed approaches at the plate and that sure defines Upton. If he would ever start being more selective at the plate he could really explode but if he is still putting up such a wreched OBP at this age, I have my doubts that he will get there. I hope I am wrong and that the change in environment brings some changes to his batting for the good.

This will be interesting. I am wary of players with flawed approaches at the plate and that sure defines Upton. If he would ever start being more selective at the plate he could really explode but if he is still putting up such a wreched OBP at this age, I have my doubts that he will get there. I hope I am wrong and that the change in environment brings some changes to his batting for the good.

We all share the same worries. He is coming off his career worst BA and OBP.

I expect him to hit in the #5 or #6 hole unless his OBP gets back up around .330 - .340.

He is a very good fielding CF with excellent speed. He has very good power and bats right handed. All are needs of the Braves. He doesn't strike out any more then Bourne and at least he is a right handed power bat.

I agree he MUST get his SO down and his walks up. At his age his best years should still be infront of him. In fact his next 2 years should be his best years.

I'm hoping for: .260 BA / .330 OBP / 25 HRs / 80 - 90 RBIs / 35 - 45 SB / < 140 SO's..........and a borderline gold glovers in CF.

I expect: .250 BA / .310 OPB / >150 SO's........ and the rest stays the same.

I would much prefer we give this type of contract to Upton over Bourne considering the 2 years of age difference and the fact Upton is a RH opposed to Bourne being LH. The lineup was in need of a power hitting RH and a legit CF option.

I love the fact that Bourne has played his entore career in the ultra competitive AL East with plenty of pressure filled games.