• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Unlikely To Trade Josh Smith

Jody23

• Premium Member

What I have said to all on this board putting up "trade Josh ideas."Josh controls everything. If he tells a team he will not resign they're not going to trade for him.

But what happens if he totally screws us once he hits free agency? Cause I'm not sold at all that he wants to be here at this point.

It seemed to me like Josh was indifferent on the floor tonight and didn't really care.

??? He was the one who helped bring them back in the 2qt. Tonight he was doing a lil of it all. He couldn't help if Al missed 6 shots around the basket and LD didn't try to feed him coming into the 3rd.

He had 16pts in the 1st half and didn't touch the ball pretty much at all in the 3rd. They didn't run a play. Hell he was getting the ball to Al around the basket. Al and Josh work good if they pass the ball to him down low. I'm sorry but that is on LD.

Another thing... we really suck with Devin doesn't start.

• Like 1

But what happens if he totally screws us once he hits free agency? Cause I'm not sold at all that he wants to be here at this point.

That's fine. You can feel that way. A lot of the ppl feel that way. I have said this time and time over the years.

Every year there are Josh trades and most of the fans think it's going to be the year (every year) he will be traded... But I'm here again this year to say "it's not going to happen." lol Posted Image

Edited by Brotha2ThaNite

I may be the only person who doesn't view it as a total failure if Josh walks away in FA. Ferry's worked out getting this team flexability financially, and we've even amazingly stayed fairly competitive, at least exceeding most everyone's expectations this year. If we don't get a great young talent, then why blow potential capspace on average players just for the sake of "getting something" out of Smoove? If no great offer comes along, then just hold onto him and find out just how much it would take to sign him and D12 like the rest of the world. Hawks and Mavs are the only two teams capable of doing that. Worst case senario is we don't sign either player. What's the big deal with that? That's more room to sign other players. Best thing to do is keep options open so the team is able to receive a star player however one might become available (trade, draft, FA).

I may be the only person who doesn't view it as a total failure if Josh walks away in FA. Ferry's worked out getting this team flexability financially, and we've even amazingly stayed fairly competitive, at least exceeding most everyone's expectations this year. If we don't get a great young talent, then why blow potential capspace on average players just for the sake of "getting something" out of Smoove?

Yeah b-dirt...as boring as it sounds for us fans who want to see the "big move" and the run at a championship...your thoughts make more sense.

Smoove's trade value - to get another key player - may not actually be as valuable as his cap space in a straight loss of his services.

We all know about the elephant in the room...the elephant is an ownership group who wants to sell.

It could work out the best for us Hawks fans too in the long run...build down and tank would be my gut instinct...but if we clean the place up enough we may be able to get a quality buyer. Who knows - something may be in the works behind the scenes already.

• Like 1

Yeah b-dirt...as boring as it sounds for us fans who want to see the "big move" and the run at a championship...your thoughts make more sense.

Smoove's trade value - to get another key player - may not actually be as valuable as his cap space in a straight loss of his services.

We all know about the elephant in the room...the elephant is an ownership group who wants to sell.

It could work out the best for us Hawks fans too in the long run...build down and tank would be my gut instinct...but if we clean the place up enough we may be able to get a quality buyer. Who knows - something may be in the works behind the scenes already.

Also, no better time to do it than next year when 2 potential superstar players most likely will come out.

Horford/Teague could net us a lottery pick from someone.

Dwight comes = win

Wiggins/Parker gets drafted = win

Either way we build for potential Championship runs.

Dwight comes = win

Dwight is a flawed player...a jacked up steroid/HGH guy who really would just be fairly average if they start testing seriously (which they may). Make D12 play without his "stuff" and he loses 20 pounds in 3 months.

But even if they don't do that ...he is still flawed - no inside moves to speak of - can't shoot FTs...a guy like Ivan could stand up to him in the playoffs if he didn't get every call.

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Premium Member

I agree with people saying losing Smith isn't as bad as it sounds. Honestly, the only shot we have of a championship run is if we get a megasuperstar through free agency or the draft. If next year we whiff on free agency then let Smoove walk, give us capspace, and then we can bomb and go for some picks. We need to rebuild, this "core" was not good enough when we had Joe an Crawford giving us career years, it certainly isn't going to be good enough now. Maybe if Josh and Al Horford had actually blossomed into stars, but ultimately they have both proven without a doubt they are nothing more than number 2s (at best). We need a Number 1 player, and the only way we are getting one is through draft or free agency. Trades are not gonna do it at this stage.