• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

C-Viv: Two days before trade deadline, no deal imminent

Admin

Posted for HF...

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-hawks/2013/feb/19/two-days-trade-deadline-no-deal-imminent/

C-Viv is back after a four-day break to recharge for the NBA's trade deadline and the final two months of the regular-season.

Josh Smith remains a Hawk - at least for now.

The Hawks return to action following the All-Star break by hosting the Heat Wednesday. It will be the final game before the NBA’s trade deadline at 3 p.m. Thursday. It could be the final game in a Hawks uniform for Smith, the Hawks leading scorer who will become an unrestricted free agent following the season.

Hawks general manager Danny Ferry declined comment Tuesday on the trade deadline and any speculation that the team will move Smith.

The team is fielding calls on Smith and there have been trade discussions involving the forward – and other members of the current roster. The lack of a trade to this point leads to the conclusion that no offer has been acceptable. As of Wednesday morning, no trade was imminent.

Certainly, Smith’s declaration that he wants a maximum contract had an effect on offers made to the Hawks for a player that will be available come the free-agent signing period.

According to the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement, another team can offer Smith a maximum four-year contract worth approximately $70 million. The Hawks can offer Smith a maximum five-year contract worth approximately $94 million.

The Hawks don’t have to make a trade deadline move for Smith. They do risk losing him for nothing in return at the end of the season – a risk both team and player agreed do before the season by not negotiating a deal during the year. However, Smith is one of eight expiring contracts on the Hawks roster. The Hawks, with numerous off-season decisions to make, could have upwards of $36 million in salary cap space to rebuild.

Smith joins a list of unrestricted free agents to be that include Devin Harris, Zaza Pachulia, Kyle Korver, Anthony Morrow, Johan Petro and Anthony Tolliver. Only Al Horford ($12 million), Lou Willliams ($5.225 million) and John Jenkins ($1.258) are guaranteed next season. Jeff Teague and Ivan Johnson are eligible for qualifying offers. The Hawks have team options on DeShawn Stevenson and Mike Scott.

“It is what it is,” Smith said recently of the trade speculation, reiterating his stance that the talk has not been a distraction. “You have to understand, this is a business first. Once you get that in your head that it’s a business first, it’s never personal, you’ll be pretty good in this league.”

Smith said Monday, the Hawks’ first post-break practice, that he spent his off time on a vacation, more concerned about sunburn than basketball.

Unfortunately for us . . . the Hawks beat writers have NEVER broken a story first. NEVER.

Sekou didn't do it. Cunningham didn't do it. And Vivlamore definitely isn't going to do it.

I think that Jason Walker broke the SAR trade on draft night, didn't he?

I think you're right on that.

But good Lord. That was 12 years ago?

It's like the people closest to the team have no sources whatsoever.

Man that makes me feel old!! I remember sitting in the chat room on draft night like it was just yesterday. Pretty sad fact that that was the last time one of our writers broke something. Although I do remember MC saying that there was a trade coming last year (or the year before?) but that he wasn't allowed to talk about it.

Updated:

“I’ve just been going out and playing basketball and not worrying about anything but that,” Smith said. “… As long as I’m an Atlanta Hawk my main concern is getting wins for this team.”

According to the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement, another team can offer Smith a maximum four-year contract worth approximately $70 million. The Hawks can offer Smith a maximum five-year contract worth approximately $94 million.

The Hawks don’t have to make a trade deadline move for Smith. They do risk losing him for nothing in return at the end of the season – a risk both team and player agreed do before the season by not negotiating a deal during the year. However, Smith is one of eight expiring contracts on the Hawks roster. The Hawks, with numerous off-season decisions to make could have upwards of $36 million in salary cap space.

Smith joins a list of unrestricted free agents to be that include Devin Harris, Zaza Pachulia, Kyle Korver, Anthony Morrow, Johan Petro and Anthony Tolliver. Only Al Horford ($12 million), Lou Willliams ($5.225 million) and John Jenkins ($1.258) are guaranteed next season. Jeff Teague and Ivan Johnson are eligible for qualifying offers. The Hawks have team options on DeShawn Stevenson and Mike Scott.

“I don’t know,” Hawks coach Larry Drew said when asked if he thought the Hawks would make a trade-deadline move. “I have no idea. … I’ve been in situations where there have been potential deals that were right at the cusp and fell apart. I’ve been in situations where there has been a lot of talk and nothing happened. I have been in situations where things have happened. These situations, you never know. You don’t allow it to distract you. You don’t look at the what-ifs, the maybes. You keep taking it a day at a time.”

For his part, Smith has not let the off-court speculation become an issue. Over the past four games, Smith is averaging 24.5 points, 10 rebounds, 6.25 assists, 1.75 blocks and one steal. He is shooting 58.2 percent (39 of 67) from the field, including 10 for 15 from 3-point range.

“Only because I’m tired of answering the same questions,” Smith said when asked if he was anxious for the trade deadline to pass. “Like I’ve said a couple times, I understand it’s a business. This is like my fourth year where my name has been brought up in trade rumors and trade talks. For four years I’ve had to consistently give the same answers. Other than that, I’m not worried about anything. I think my game speaks to where my mental edge is. I’m not worried about anything but being concerned with what I have to do on the court.”

C-Viv:

Rather, couldn't that just be Ferry minimizing the trade kicker impact, unless I misread what hawksfanatic shared previously?

~lw3

Yes, but we are talking about roughly $11k a day saved by waiting. So since this is the A$G we are talking about, this could very well be likely. (I still doubt it, but any reason to point out Vivnomore is wrong I am OK with)

Yes, but we are talking about roughly $11k a day saved by waiting. So since this is the A$G we are talking about, this could very well be likely. (I still doubt it, but any reason to point out Vivnomore is wrong I am OK with)

Cue Sothron and the inevitable rant about the A$G and whatever that hockey team in Atlanta were called Posted Image