• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Microsoft Announces Xbox One

PSSSHHHRRR87

• Moderators

Microsoft announced Monday its next-generation video game console, the Xbox One.

"Today, we look forward," said Don Mattrick, Microsoft president of interactive business. "It's time for technology to step behind the curtain and for you and entertainment to take center stage."

The console's new features will include: voice command, cloud integration, universal gestures and the familiar Xbox Live home screen.

Voice command immediately recognizes the user and will instantly turn the console on by saying "Xbox on." It also has a feature called instant switching that lets users switch from gaming, TV and Web browsing seamlessly. A new feature called "Snap mode" lets users run multiple programs at the same time, including making group Skype calls in high-definition.

A feature called Xbox One Guide lets users scroll through a show guide, call for specific TV shows or change channels with voice command.

"No more memorizing channels or hunting for the remote control," said senior vice president Yusuf Mehdisaid.

The Xbox One comes with an upgraded controller. Microsoft says the new device has 40 new design innovations, including impulse triggers, Wi-Fi direct radio stack, integrated battery compartment and a precision directional pad.

The console will come with 8 gigabytes of RAM, a Blu-ray drive, USB 3.0 connector and HDMI in and out. The system runs on three systems in one: Xbox operating system, Windows Kernel and a combination of the two that enables multitasking.

Xbox Live is getting an upgrade, as well. To support the new cloud-based features, Xbox Live will run on 300,000 servers for the Xbox One -- up from 3,000 servers for Xbox 360.

Four blockbuster sports games from Electronic Arts will come to the Xbox One: "FIFA 14," "Madden 25," "UFC," and "NBA Live 14." "Forza Motorsports 5" is also coming exclusively to the new console and will be available at launch.

Microsoft also announced a partnership with film director Steven Spielberg and 343 industries to create an exclusive TV show of the blockbuster title "Halo."

The NFL is also partnering with Xbox to create a fully immersive experience that lets fans switch between watching a game to checking fantasy football statistic in the Xbox ecosystem, using SmartGlass and Kinect.

Xbox One will be available worldwide "later this year." Microsoft will reveal more details and games at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3). There are no current details on pricing. It's also unknown if the Xbox One is backwards compatible with the Xbox 360.

Microsoft's competitor Sony is also launching its next-generation game console, the PlayStation 4, later this year. Nintendo released the Wii U in 2012.

The original Xbox debuted in 2001 and its successor the Xbox 360 was unveiled in 2005.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57585520/microsoft-announces-xbox-one/

• Moderators

That's what I did. After my Xbox 360 died on me for the second time and I found that games like Assassin's Creed, GTA, and NBA 2k13 were available for PC, I just went out and invested in a great gaming comp. Plus, building comps are so much fun... lol

Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87
  • Like 1

Hang on a sec here, did you guys see it said NBA Live 14? Are they really bringing that back? I was a diehard Live guy but I've made the switch to 2k and there's no way I'm going back at this point unless 2k doesn't have a quality game for the Xbox one. Seems kinda dumb to not have backwards compatibility, right? I don't care for the new features but if its a much better gaming console than the 360 then I'm gonna get it. I can't see myself ever being a PC gamer, I like the console experience too much. Plus between my 30 TeraByte movie server and my graphics PC I'm running 3 kilowatt power supplies that eat up enough electricity as it is without needing to add a gaming PC to the mix!

• Moderators

Hang on a sec here, did you guys see it said NBA Live 14? Are they really bringing that back? I was a diehard Live guy but I've made the switch to 2k and there's no way I'm going back at this point unless 2k doesn't have a quality game for the Xbox one. Seems kinda dumb to not have backwards compatibility, right? I don't care for the new features but if its a much better gaming console than the 360 then I'm gonna get it. I can't see myself ever being a PC gamer, I like the console experience too much. Plus between my 30 TeraByte movie server and my graphics PC I'm running 3 kilowatt power supplies that eat up enough electricity as it is without needing to add a gaming PC to the mix!

I saw that too about Live. I was a big Live fan too, but I have made the switch to 2k and can't see myself going back. I was also looking at the features and I'm not impressed. It just looks like the console world is running out of ideas. I also don't like that games have to be installed before you can play them and there is a charge if you want to take a game to a buddies house and play. IDK, I think I'll just stick with my comp.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Moderators
Now that's interesting. How are you able to do that?
http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/Hardware/Controllers/Pages/XboxWirelessGamingReceiverforWindows.aspx/ You have to install the drivers for it manually, but it's a breeze to do. Any Microsoft Xbox 360 wireless controller will do. Just buy the receiver, install the driver, and away you go. If you have an old wired 360 controller, I believe it's plug and play. The receiver is capable to link up to 10 controllers at once. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/Hardware/Controllers/Pages/XboxWirelessGamingReceiverforWindows.aspx/ You have to install the drivers for it manually, but it's a breeze to do. Any Microsoft Xbox 360 wireless controller will do. Just buy the receiver, install the driver, and away you go. If you have an old wired 360 controller, I believe it's plug and play. The receiver is capable to link up to 10 controllers at once. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow how cool is that! I had no idea they had something like this but this might make me change my mind about having a gaming PC since I love my 360 controller. Plus with the availability of PC games for "free" vs $60 for 360 games I think I will have to go ahead and get this.

Wow how cool is that! I had no idea they had something like this but this might make me change my mind about having a gaming PC since I love my 360 controller. Plus with the availability of PC games for "free" vs $60 for 360 games I think I will have to go ahead and get this.

Not to mention all the great discounts available through Steam.

• Moderators

That was my motivation too... I got my authentic Microsoft receiver from eBay for $15 shipped. Installing the driver is easy to do and since your I.T. you probably already know how to do it, but in case you don't its:

First, download this driver or insert the supplied install disc and install the drivers.

Then, go to Device Manager -> Unknown Device (or Microsoft Common Controller For Windows Class, depending if your system recognizes the receiver) -> right click for "Update Driver Software" -> Browse My Computer For Driver Software -> Let Me Pick From A List of Drivers -> Select "XBox 360 Controller for Windows Version: 2.1.xxxx" and click Next -> Click "Yes" to the warning -> Enjoy!

Instructions for Win 7

That was my motivation too... I got my authentic Microsoft receiver from eBay for $15 shipped. Installing the driver is easy to do and since your I.T. you probably already know how to do it, but in case you don't its: First, download this driver or insert the supplied install disc and install the drivers. Then, go to Device Manager -> Unknown Device (or Microsoft Common Controller For Windows Class, depending if your system recognizes the receiver) -> right click for "Update Driver Software" -> Browse My Computer For Driver Software -> Let Me Pick From A List of Drivers -> Select "XBox 360 Controller for Windows Version: 2.1.xxxx" and click Next -> Click "Yes" to the warning -> Enjoy!

Instructions for Win 7

I just ordered mine from Amazon and it was only $16 with free prime shipping so we'll see how it goes. Should be here Friday evening and then I'll try and get it installed on Saturday.

Are there different instructions for Windows 7? I'm sure I can figure out how to get it installed but someone mentioned needing the original wired 360 controller and I don't have that and don't want to pay $40 to get one.

When you play PC games using the 360 controller does it show you the button mapping as if it were for the 360 or does it do it for a PC controller? What I mean is let's say that the Y button on the 360 is for jumping on NBA2k13 will it show that or will it show something generic that might not match up?

• Moderators
I just ordered mine from Amazon and it was only $16 with free prime shipping so we'll see how it goes. Should be here Friday evening and then I'll try and get it installed on Saturday. Are there different instructions for Windows 7? I'm sure I can figure out how to get it installed but someone mentioned needing the original wired 360 controller and I don't have that and don't want to pay $40 to get one. When you play PC games using the 360 controller does it show you the button mapping as if it were for the 360 or does it do it for a PC controller? What I mean is let's say that the Y button on the 360 is for jumping on NBA2k13 will it show that or will it show something generic that might not match up?
No, it recognizes the Xbox controller and has a control panel and everything. I admit, it's not perfect to use, but I have had no probs w/ games like NBA 2k12/13, Tekken vs Street Fighter, Saints Row, FIFA 12, and Prototype. Assassin's Creed games took some work because Ubisoft games have probs recognizing the Xbox controllers for some reason, but there are programs to fix that too. If you need any help just ask I'll help the best I can!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Moderators

Oh, and you do not need a wired controller. Just install the driver and sync the controller with the receiver just like you would with the Xbox by pressing the sync buttons on the receiver and controller.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eh......I'll stick with the console. I game in the living room on the big screen, on a comfy couch. No way I see that happening with a PC.

That's how I do it too, but I've got a pretty decent PC that I also have in my media center in the living room that I don't really use anymore since I use WDTV's to stream my media but I'm gonna give it a shot and see how it works out since it's already connected to my big screen.

No, it recognizes the Xbox controller and has a control panel and everything. I admit, it's not perfect to use, but I have had no probs w/ games like NBA 2k12/13, Tekken vs Street Fighter, Saints Row, FIFA 12, and Prototype. Assassin's Creed games took some work because Ubisoft games have probs recognizing the Xbox controllers for some reason, but there are programs to fix that too. If you need any help just ask I'll help the best I can!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I uhh downloaded for previewing 2K13 to try it out on the PC and see how it compares to my 360 version. Also downloaded for previewing the Walking Dead game to see how that is.

Oh, and you do not need a wired controller. Just install the driver and sync the controller with the receiver just like you would with the Xbox by pressing the sync buttons on the receiver and controller.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome I just got it in and will probably try and get it up and running tomorrow.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think you'll be impressed especially if you have a high end graphics card. I have a Radeon 7000 series w/ 1 GB, DDR5. Amazing how good the graphics are compared to the almighty console video cards especially games like AC2 and Prototype.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk