• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dennis Schröder is better right now than Jeff Teague

NBASupes

Reading this thread made me realize just how different the approach to basketball (and maybe sports in general) in the US and Europe is. Over here it is about the end result, the team winning and it doesn´t matter as much who was/is the most important or best player - if you contributed to your team winning in the best way possible, you did everything right.

This quote about Ricky Rubio sums it up pretty well:

He says the biggest issue isn't mechanics, but rather Ricky's psychology. "The number-one important thing in the U.S. for any kid — I don't care who you are or where you come from — is to shoot the ball and score. When you play pickup, that's all you do." But in Catalonia, it's more about organized ball, and less about pickup. "Ricky is not an individual player. His first thought is, 'I wanna win, and how do I do that? If I score 30 points, and we don't win, it really doesn't matter. If I can get that guy 20 points and that guy 10 and the other guy 15, we're going to win games that way.' And now he understands the game a little more and sometimes he shoots 15 times, 16 times. Because they're forcing them to do it and he realizes that he has to do it. Even if he's missing all those shots, it's still helping to get guys open. You know, in a crazy way."

(Schöder said the same thing in an interview after the last game: "I shoot the ball if the team needs me to score. If there are other ways to make us win, Il´ll try those first. I don´t care about how we win.")

Not to compare Rubio to Schröder, but I think the situation in Minnesota is very interesting. Even with Rubio being very popular, Kevin Love is seen as (by far) the best player on the team and one of the best in the league. But if you look what the team accomplished with him, the results are pretty terrible. They are a 22-28 win team with Love. They were a .500+ team when Rubio played, regardless of Love playing with him or being injured. Somehow, it doesn´t matter that he shoots poorly. Somehow, him playing makes this team a lot more successful, regardless of the individual stats he puts up.

You can see the same if you watched the summer league games so far: the team looks so much more poised and focused when Schröder plays PG than with any other player doing it. Even if he struggles, even if the +/- may be negative: it looks like real basketball and not like typical summer league basketball. And I think that wins you games, because thats the approach the Spurs have taken for years: don´t care how it looks or if it makes you a star, but playing the right way makes you win.

And by the way, Teague is haads and shoulders betther than Schröder right now. They way Schröder plays, he won´t be able to play more than 20-25 mpg tops anyway, especially in his first NBA season. It will also be good, if he has to fight for more minutes and doesn´t get a starting job handed to him. It probably benefits both PGs that they are different in their play style and skill-sets.

Reading this thread made me realize just how different the approach to basketball (and maybe sports in general) in the US and Europe is. Over here it is about the end result, the team winning and it doesn´t matter as much who was/is the most important or best player - if you contributed to your team winning in the best way possible, you did everything right.

This quote about Ricky Rubio sums it up pretty well:

(Schöder said the same thing in an interview after the last game: "I shoot the ball if the team needs me to score. If there are other ways to make us win, Il´ll try those first. I don´t care about how we win.")

Not to compare Rubio to Schröder, but I think the situation in Minnesota is very interesting. Even with Rubio being very popular, Kevin Love is seen as (by far) the best player on the team and one of the best in the league. But if you look what the team accomplished with him, the results are pretty terrible. They are a 22-28 win team with Love. They were a .500+ team when Rubio played, regardless of Love playing with him or being injured. Somehow, it doesn´t matter that he shoots poorly. Somehow, him playing makes this team a lot more successful, regardless of the individual stats he puts up.

You can see the same if you watched the summer league games so far: the team looks so much more poised and focused when Schröder plays PG than with any other player doing it. Even if he struggles, even if the +/- may be negative: it looks like real basketball and not like typical summer league basketball. And I think that wins you games, because thats the approach the Spurs have taken for years: don´t care how it looks or if it makes you a star, but playing the right way makes you win.

And by the way, Teague is haads and shoulders betther than Schröder right now. They way Schröder plays, he won´t be able to play more than 20-25 mpg tops anyway, especially in his first NBA season. It will also be good, if he has to fight for more minutes and doesn´t get a starting job handed to him. It probably benefits both PGs that they are different in their play style and skill-sets.

I really think K Love is overrated but that's a different story for a different thread. I am not big of those stat padders who play little defense like Love and Griffin.

I see the game by impact and winning. Some see it completely differently.

Rondo, Isiah Thomas and Jason Kidd ring a bell?

Isiah was a long time ago and he scored alot. Kidd I mean he was on his last legs in Dallas and wasnt really a focal point of that team. Dirk was the main weapon and even Jet Terry was more involved in that title than Kidd. Rondo is almost the exact opposite of Kidd in this case in that he was a young up and comer on that Boston team, Rondo wasnt nearlly the important cog when Boston won as he is now. He was a 4th or 5th wheel when Boston won the tilte. Dont act like Kidd and Rondo were any more important to those two teams winning as Chalmers was to the Heat winning.

I can name more than 15.

Rondo

Deron

Lowry

Rose

Irving

George Hill

I think Jennings is better if you put him around a very good supporting cast not Milwaukee but I'll leave him out since that's what if's.

Kemba, I felt Kemba was better last year. One of the only bright spots for Charlotte last year.

John Wall

Conley

Jrue Holiday

Tony Parker

Ty Lawson

Rubio

Lillard

Westbrook

Steph

CP3

Old Steve Nash

If Dragic had a better supporting cast, he would be better, see Jennings.

I think Jarrett Jack and Calderon is just as good as Jeff.

Jeff is a mediocre PG to me with good overall talent.

yawn

And Scott Machado, who was better than Stockton lol. Both guys will be out if the league for good in a year.

Stop it, I never said he was anywhere near Stockton. We were only talking about Speed and even then, we were talking about college prospects. I didn't see them play a min v. even SL guys at that time. You can't tell what a player will be till they play v. their peers in SL at the least. Just like how you were dead wrong of Kelly O and Diesel on Shelden.

If you want a list of guys are was right on, it's a lot longer than the ones I was wrong on.

Victor O.

CP3

Deron

Bogut

Durant

Horford

etc

Wrong

Oden

Wright

Burke

Marshall

etc

The draft is hard to be right on. No one has the perfect formula. This isn't the NFL draft.

Teague will never be a true PG but that does not mean that every true PG that comes along will be or is better than him. True PG's are having less impact than combo guards like your former MVP Derrick Rose in the current NBA. Rondo and Paul are probably the only 2 true PG's really impacting games for winners the rest are combo guards playing PG. Or better yet to put it nicer, attack guards rule the NBA right now. Rose, Westbrook, Curry, guys that put you on your heels the whole game because they have so many tools offensively. I will be happy to see the kid grow and see how much better he can make his teammates if he is a true PG that can stick against NBA players but I seriously doubt that he will impact a NBA game better than Teague from day 1.

Teague will never be a true PG but that does not mean that every true PG that comes along will be or is better than him. True PG's are having less impact than combo guards like your former MVP Derrick Rose in the current NBA. Rondo and Paul are probably the only 2 true PG's really impacting games for winners the rest are combo guards playing PG. Or better yet to put it nicer, attack guards rule the NBA right now. Rose, Westbrook, Curry, guys that put you on your heels the whole game because they have so many tools offensively. I will be happy to see the kid grow and see how much better he can make his teammates if he is a true PG that can stick against NBA players but I seriously doubt that he will impact a NBA game better than Teague from day 1.

Every true PG isn't as good as Teague and never stated that. Now I have stated for Horford development, I would prefare to have a PLAYMAKING PG which is more than a true PG to me. An average true PG to me is like Jose Calderon, Brevin Knight, etc. Those guys don't make others better but they can run an offense and they can pass decently. I like playmaking PG's like Nash, CP3, Rondo, Rubio and guys like that. But all of those I mentioned are true PG's just with playmaking abilities. Bibby is a true PG but he was not a playmaker.

Elite players are elite. Rose, Westbrook, CP3, Deron, Curry etc. Those guys can really freakin play. To say one is better than the other is personal opinion. But Jeff ain't nothing like them. Not even close. Jeff is like Bobby Jackson. Doesn't have PG skills. Talented. Quick. Can score. PG sized. Helps on defense. Has some good tools for position. Isn't really a starter but is great off the bench. That's how I see Jeff.