• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Blocking Foul - Explanation?

frankthetank966

Can someone explain how the Pau Gasol foul was ruled a blocking foul? Here's the highlight. About 57 seconds into the video you will see the foul. It appeared as a charge. Milsap was planted and was outside of the box.

p.s. the last playcall was awful. Was was Antić passing the ball?

Edited by frankthetank966

Millsap's left foot was on the line, if it wasn't the call would have most likely been overturned. Also the initial call on the floor was a block so if refs review it, it usually takes substantial evidence towards the contrary to change a call.

I think Milsap was clearly moving. I'm patiently waiting for the day when NBA players realize that the chances of getting a blocking foul on a charge-taking attempt are very high, so they might as well try to steal the ball or actually defend the shot and get the most out of the foul. Who knows, you might actually make a play on the ball like they did before Vlade changed the landscape for foul officiating. If you are facing a sililarly sized player and you aren't Shane Battier or someone, make a play on the ball, please. With quick hands, Milsap could've had a steal.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

It was a close call. If you're a Laker fan you look at Mils sliding his right leg as Pau is going up and say it's a block. As a Hawks' fan you say he got set on time. a 50/50 call... obviously we aren't going to get a lot of those called our way lol.

Not really. I'm a Hawks fan. However the honest truth is that Millsap was sliding.

Were the Atlanta Hawks They are the LA Lakers. What else needs to be explained. Cartier Martin got called fpr at least 2 fouls he didnt commit. Every call went LA's way Thats " what it is".

Don't be that guy. Millsap's left heel was on the line, end of story.

The Hawks had a great chance to tie/win that game and lost it because of a poor out of bounds play at the end. I understand wanting to feed the hot hand in Korver, but that play left a lot to be desired.

• Premium Member

Don't be that guy. Millsap's left heel was on the line, end of story.

The Hawks had a great chance to tie/win that game and lost it because of a poor out of bounds play at the end. I understand wanting to feed the hot hand in Korver, but that play left a lot to be desired.

I'd say free throw shooting was the main culprit. If we are even average at FTs this game we win by a decent margin.

• Like 1

Unless you saw a camera angle that the Hawks broadcast on League Pass didn't show, then yes, I saw the clips over and over. The refs called it a block on the floor so they need to see indisputable evidence on the replays to overturn the call. In my eyes, you couldn't see any daylight between Millsap's left heel and the restricted area line, thus it stays a block.

If you can show me a replay that clearly shows otherwise, I'm happy to be proven wrong.

As far as free throws go, you could say the same for the Lakers. They would've had a much bigger margin of victory if they'd hit more of their FTs. Fact is the Hawks (and Lakers) had already missed all those FTs and we still had a chance to force OT or win the game. Because of that final inbounds play, the Hawks lost.

Look, we can sit here and talk about all the "what-ifs" all day and night, but it doesn't change how the game played out. A better inbounds play ties or wins the game, done deal.

Edited by WakaFlocka

Click the link in the first post. It helps to read the thread and not jump to conclusions.

Was that supposed to prove what I said wrong...? That video just shows that Millsap wasn't totally set, nothing about his heel being on the line or not besides Barry mentioning he though Paul was out of the restricted area (with zero evidence to show otherwise). Neither this replay, nor the ones last night show 100% that his heel was off the line.

I never said anything about Paul not being totally set, just that IMO his heel was on the line. I don't know why this is so hard.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that the video in the OP shows 100% one way or the other that Paul's left foot was/wasn't on the line...? It shows two angles. One where you can't tell because Martin is in the way and the other looking head on, so clearly you can't see where his heel is in relation to the line. The live broadcast last night had a better replay view where you couldn't see any purple between the white heel clip of Paul's shoe and the white restricted area line.

If you can see something I can't from these screenshots of the OP video then I guess I do need my eyes checked...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Premium Member

Unless you saw a camera angle that the Hawks broadcast on League Pass didn't show, then yes, I saw the clips over and over. The refs called it a block on the floor so they need to see indisputable evidence on the replays to overturn the call. In my eyes, you couldn't see any daylight between Millsap's left heel and the restricted area line, thus it stays a block.

If you can show me a replay that clearly shows otherwise, I'm happy to be proven wrong.

As far as free throws go, you could say the same for the Lakers. They would've had a much bigger margin of victory if they'd hit more of their FTs. Fact is the Hawks (and Lakers) had already missed all those FTs

The Lakers were 20-24 from the free throw line with with a 58% free throw shooter taking the majority of them. The Hawks on the other hand shot 53% for the game. About 20 percentage points below what they were going into that game

• Like 1

You said his foot was on the line. You were pretty confident on that. Confident enough to talk down to another poster without having read the freaking thread. But wait...what...now...inconclusive? Hmmm...sounds like you shouldn't have been such an asshole to begin with. Maybe you shouldn't be that guy on this board.

And yeah, this does show his foot was beyond the restricted area. The restricted area is a fixed point on the court, so unless Millsap's foot grew to the size of Shaq's then he couldn't have his feet touching the restricted line with this positioning. If this is getting down to a whose eyes are better discussion, then whatever.

I won't change your mind and you won't change mine. Although, you did change from saying his heel was on the line to now saying you cannot determine whether it was or was not on the line. So I guess you can change your mind, which is actually a good characteristic in my mind. God dammit, now I'm talking in circles again.

You can't seriously be this dense...

I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THE VIDEO IN THE OP UNTIL YOU BROUGHT IT UP BECAUSE IT SHOWS NOTHING.

I've never come off my stance of Paul's heel being on the line, I really don't get how you came to that conclusion from my last post. You think this NBA.com clip is definitive evidence to prove your point. What you highlighted is a question asking how you think this video with terrible angles proves anything.

You're the one making a conclusion from that NBA.com video, not me. I made my conclusion of Millsap's heel being on the line based off watching the game live last night and seeing the replays they showed while the refs were reviewing their call. There was a different replay angle shown where you could clearly see Millsap's heel without Martin being in the way (like in this NBA.com clip that you think is the end-all-be-all). My god, man. For someone with such incredible eyesight you sure don't read well.

Edited by WakaFlocka

The Lakers were 20-24 from the free throw line with with a 58% free throw shooter taking the majority of them. The Hawks on the other hand shot 53% for the game. About 20 percentage points below what they were going into that game

I thought the Lakers had missed more FTs, my bad. Regardless, even with all Hawks charity stripe woes, they had their chance to tie or win and blew it.

Hopefully Bud and his staff can come up with more creative inbounds play in the future. Especially in crunch time.