Kasten stepping down!!!

TheDude

• Premium Member

If you think about it,

Him stepping down only relieves him of his duties with the Braves. It might be that he has decided to become the CEO of the Hawks/Thrashers under Atlanta Spirit LLC...

Either way, the water just got a little murky?

Does this mean that Nique won't be president of the Hawks??

I don't know.

It's interesting.

Bill Shanks at RealGM:

The Atlanta Spirit, LLC will introduce Stan Kasten as its new President/CEO at a 3:00pm press conference.

Kasten will step down as President of the Atlanta Braves.

Kasten has been the President of all three teams until the recent sale of the Hawks and Thrashers by AOL/Time Warner to Atlanta Spirit, which is still awaiting final approval on the sale from both the NBA and NHL.

Kasten joined the Hawks in 1977 after a chance meeting with then-owner Ted Turner. He became the youngest General Manager in NBA history at age 27 in 1979. Kasten became President of the Hawks in 1990.

Contrary to my story on RealGM.com, Stan Kasten has not joined the Atlanta Spirit.

He was not able to even negotiate with the group until January, under terms of the sale of the two teams. But now that he has resigned, he can speak with the new group.

As for now, Kasten just said at a news conference at Philips Arena that he is a free agent and is going to decide what he wants to do next.

Jason Walker will have more from Philips Arena on RealGM.com tonight in his GameNight Report.

.......to see Kasten get an ownership group together to buy the Braves from AOL/TW. There was a big rumor about a potential investment group composed of Kasten, Turner, and Bartholomay among others that were interested in bidding for the Braves. I don't know if it ever materialized.

This is quoted in the AJC article:

"I view myself as apporoaching the midpoint of my career. When people ask me what is my greatest accomplishment, I say I haven't done it yet. I want to do a lot more of what I've done, only bigger and better."

Becoming the President/CEO of Atlanta Spirit is nothing different than he's already done. He's got something up his sleeve, and he's going to try to make a big splash with something. It will not surprise me to see Kasten organize an ownership group much like Michael Gearon Jr. did.