• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Date Night at Philips Arena

curtmcgirt

I've taken plenty of girls to Philips, including to Thrashers games years ago, but I've never been to RED. We need more and better restaurants around Philips, although Luckie-Marietta is getting better. A real pizzeria would be nice. Also, SkyView Atlanta seems to be a romantic spot before a game, and they have Christmas lights and ice skating at Centennial Olympic Park right now.

Edited by Bahamut
  • Like 1

Me and wife normally go to Dantana's (in CNN Center) before the games. Its nothing special............just a normal little sports bar but nicer then an Applebees.

I proposed to her at Phillips during a Hawks game. Had it arranged to do the Home Depot free throw game during a time out. After the 3rd free throw they spun her around and I was on me knee with the ring. Harry the Hawk was their with a dozen roses. They put "Will you Marry Me" on the score board. Home Depot gave us a bunch of goodies. We then moved 5th row to courtside seats. The Hawks even gave us DVD of the event.

Getting a little nastalgic talking about date night at a Hawks game. Today is our 4th anniversary. I proposed about 6 years ago there on a cold Friday night. We were playing the Washington Wizards back when they were pretty good (Jameison, Arenas, Butler, Hughes, and Heywood days ).

Wow really? How have we never heard this story before? That's very cool and impressive that she said yes. Would of hated to see you as one of those guys on YouTube who propose as a sports event only to see the girl say no and run away.

• Like 3

Wow really? How have we never heard this story before? That's very cool and impressive that she said yes. Would of hated to see you as one of those guys on YouTube who propose as a sports event only to see the girl say no and run away.

I've told this story before. I actually posted about it on the squawk the day of the game / marriage proposal. At the time, I was not sure if we would get on TV or not........they didn't show us on TV.

It was against the Washington Wizards (back when they had Jameison, Arenas, and Butler) on a Friday night in January of 2008, I believe.

Edited by coachx

I'll probably stick to some other place on the West Side for dinner (Bocado, Ormsby's, Yeah Burger!, Antico) for dinner as the reviews and menu don't really stand out. Max's Pizzaria, Rise and Stats are close, but at that point you're walking to the Arena and its too cold for that.

CoachX, does your wife like the Hawks or just being at games. I happened to luck in to a 5'11 college professor who loves the NBA although she's a Celtic's fan.

• Like 1

I'll probably stick to some other place on the West Side for dinner (Bocado, Ormsby's, Yeah Burger!, Antico) for dinner as the reviews and menu don't really stand out. Max's Pizzaria, Rise and Stats are close, but at that point you're walking to the Arena and its too cold for that.

CoachX, does your wife like the Hawks or just being at games. I happened to luck in to a 5'11 college professor who loves the NBA although she's a Celtic's fan.

She played HS ball and is a sports fan. NBA is not her favorite though. We had been dating for several years and both her, and her parents knew I would be proposing at some point. I was waiting on her to get out of law school to tie the knot (so daddy would keep paying for her law school). Her only request was to make the proposal a suprise. She did not want to see it coming......b/c she already knew it was coming. So instead of going all romantic I tried to really suprise her.

It worked well and the Hawks organization was a class act about helping me with it. They tried to make me buy court side seats to go with their "marriage proposal package" for around $750. I already had realy good seats on the 5th row and told them I didn't need courtside seats. I think I paid them like $150-$200 to do the deal. Then after she said "yes" they gave us courtside seats for 3 quarters. Giving us DVD of the proposal and the roses was a nice touch. Got some power tools and gift cards from Home Depot as well............thanks to her making free throws to win the prizes. I think you had to make a free throw and then guess if some random price was higher or lower then actual price.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 2

• Moderators

I remember the posts about it on this site back in the day. Good stuff!

Someone go dig that topic up as my old man brain is not letting me recall it. Cool story though!

The game was 1/11/2008 vs. the Wiz.I went back and looked at post around that date but could not find it (around page 910 ). Some one could have made a comment a week or 2 later to push the thread to a different date.
  • Like 1

Nice job! I'm unarchiving that thread so it can be replied to but that will probably take another few hours as the process is automated.

I did follow a link in the thread that Traceman (where's he been??) posted and it brought me to a page I had forgotten I created long ago.

http://www.hawksquawk.net/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=240925&page=7&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=#240925

Took my date to last night's game. We decided not to do Red but went to Abattoir after. Seemed less hokey than Red.

Anyhow, we walked into the arena and she immediately says "Didn't Rudy Gay just get traded to the Kings?" I found a woman who loves the NBA y'all. The only downside was the Kings fans behind us. They kept yelling "Boooogggieeee" whenever Cousins had the ball. Damn Bill Simmons fans ruining the ambiance.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Took my date to last night's game. We decided not to do Red but went to Abattoir after. Seemed less hokey than Red.

Anyhow, we walked into the arena and she immediately says "Didn't Rudy Gay just get traded to the Kings?" I found a woman who loves the NBA y'all. The only downside was the Kings fans behind us. They kept yelling "Boooogggieeee" whenever Cousins had the ball. Damn Bill Simmons fans ruining the ambiance.

The way that game went you now have to take her to every game. Or maybe save up for the playoffs. Glad it worked out.

I'll probably stick to some other place on the West Side for dinner (Bocado, Ormsby's, Yeah Burger!, Antico) for dinner as the reviews and menu don't really stand out. Max's Pizzaria, Rise and Stats are close, but at that point you're walking to the Arena and its too cold for that. CoachX, does your wife like the Hawks or just being at games. I happened to luck in to a 5'11 college professor who loves the NBA although she's a Celtic's fan.

She's a celts fan? Dump her ASAP