• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pete Babcock vs. Billy King vs. Danny Ferry

yungsta

This was posted on another hawks discussion board that is pretty much dead http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1297561

so I decided to post it here.

Comparing the last 3 major hawk gms over the last 30 years. All of them had a fire sale and traded aging stars for capspace.

Really interested to hear everyone's opinion.

The Moves of Billy King

Posted Image
• June 26, 2003: Selected Boris Diaw (1st round, 21st pick) and Travis Hansen (2nd round, 37th pick) in the 2003 NBA Draft.
• July 23, 2003: As part of a 4-team trade, the Atlanta Hawks traded Glenn Robinson and a 2006 2nd round draft pick (Daniel Gibson was later selected) to the Philadelphia 76ers; the Minnesota Timberwolves traded Terrell Brandon to the Atlanta Hawks; the Minnesota Timberwolves traded Marc Jackson to the Philadelphia 76ers; the New York Knicks traded Latrell Sprewell to the Minnesota Timberwolves; the Philadelphia 76ers traded Randy Holcomb and a 2007 1st round draft pick to the Atlanta Hawks; and the Philadelphia 76ers traded Keith Van Horn to the New York Knicks. Atlanta did not receive the 1st round draft pick from Philadelphia because it was lottery protected; they received cash instead.
• September 4, 2003: Signed Jacque Vaughn as a free agent.
• October 3, 2003: Signed Stephen Jackson as a free agent.
• February 9, 2004: Traded Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Dan Dickau and Theo Ratliff to the Portland Trail Blazers for Wesley Person and Rasheed Wallace.
• February 15, 2004: As part of a 3-team trade, the Atlanta Hawks traded Nazr Mohammed to the New York Knicks; the Milwaukee Bucks traded Joel Przybilla to the Atlanta Hawks; the Milwaukee Bucks traded Tim Thomas to the New York Knicks; the New York Knicks traded Michael Doleac and a 2005 2nd round draft pick (Ronny Turiaf was later selected) to the Atlanta Hawks; and the New York Knicks traded Keith Van Horn to the Milwaukee Bucks.
• February 19, 2004: As part of a 3-team trade, the Atlanta Hawks traded Rasheed Wallace to the Detroit Pistons; the Boston Celtics traded Chris Mills to the Atlanta Hawks; the Boston Celtics traded Mike James to the Detroit Pistons; the Detroit Pistons traded Zeljko Rebraca, Bob Sura and a 2004 1st round draft pick (Josh Smith was later selected) to the Atlanta Hawks; and the Detroit Pistons traded Chucky Atkins, Lindsey Hunter and a 2004 1st round draft pick (Tony Allen was later selected) to the Boston Celtics.
• June 24, 2004: Selected Josh Childress (1st round, 6th pick), Josh Smith (1st round, 17th pick), Donta Smith (2nd round, 34th pick), Royal Ivey (2nd round, 37th pick) and Viktor Sanikidze (2nd round, 42nd pick) in the 2004 NBA Draft.
• July 15, 2004: Traded Stephen Jackson to the Indiana Pacers for Al Harrington.
• August 4, 2004: Traded Alan Henderson, Jason Terry and a 2007 1st round draft pick to the Dallas Mavericks for Tony Delk and Antoine Walker. Dallas did not receive the 1st round pick because it was lottery protected; they received cash instead.
• February 24, 2005: Traded Antoine Walker to the Boston Celtics for Tom Gugliotta, Gary Payton, Michael Stewart and a 2006 1st round draft pick (Rajon Rondo was later selected).
• June 28, 2005: Selected Marvin Williams (1st round, 2nd pick), Salim Stoudamire (2nd round, 31st pick) and Cenk Akyol (2nd round, 59th pick) in the 2005 NBA Draft.
• August 11, 2005: Signed Zaza Pachulia as a free agent.
• August 19, 2005: Traded Boris Diaw, a 2006 1st round draft pick (Rajon Rondo was later selected) and a 2008 1st round draft pick (Robin Lopez was later selected) to the Phoenix Suns for Joe Johnson.
• June 28, 2006: Selected Shelden Williams (1st round, 5th pick) and Solomon Jones (2nd round, 33rd pick) in the 2006 NBA Draft.
• July 12, 2006: Signed Speedy Claxton as a free agent.

The Moves of Pete Babcock.
Posted Image

• • June 27, 1990: Traded a 1990 1st round draft pick (Tyrone Hill was later selected) and a 1990 2nd round draft pick (Les Jepsen was later selected) to the Golden State Warriors for a 1990 1st round draft pick (Rumeal Robinson was later selected), a 1990 2nd round draft pick (Steve Bardo was later selected) and a 1990 2nd round draft pick (Trevor Wilson was later selected).
• • June 27, 1990: Selected Rumeal Robinson (1st round, 10th pick), Trevor Wilson (2nd round, 36th pick) and Steve Bardo (2nd round, 41st pick) in the 1990 NBA Draft.
• • September 24, 1990: Signed Howard Wright as a free agent.
• • September 27, 1990: Traded Roy Marble and Kenny Smith to the Houston Rockets for John Lucas, Tim McCormick and a 1994 1st round draft pick (Charlie Ward was later selected).
• • June 26, 1991: Traded Doc Rivers to the Los Angeles Clippers for a 1991 1st round draft pick (Stacey Augmon was later selected), a 1993 2nd round draft pick (Rich Manning was later selected) and a 1994 2nd round draft pick (Gaylon Nickerson was later selected).
• • June 26, 1991: Selected Stacey Augmon (1st round, 9th pick), Anthony Avent (1st round, 15th pick) and Rodney Monroe (2nd round, 30th pick) in the 1991 NBA Draft.
• • July 1, 1991: Traded Spud Webb and a 1994 2nd round draft pick (Lawrence Funderburke was later selected) to the Sacramento Kings for Travis Mays.
• • July 1, 1991: As part of a 3-team trade, the Atlanta Hawks traded Anthony Avent to the Milwaukee Bucks; the Atlanta Hawks traded a 1993 2nd round draft pick (Josh Grant was later selected) to the Denver Nuggets; the Denver Nuggets traded Blair Rasmussen to the Atlanta Hawks; and the Milwaukee Bucks traded Kevin Brooks and a 1994 2nd round draft pick (Rodney Dent was later selected) to the Denver Nuggets.
• • October 3, 1991: Traded Tim McCormick and a 1994 1st round draft pick (Charlie Ward was later selected) to the New York Knicks for Maurice Cheeks.
• • March 17, 1992: Signed Jeff Sanders as a free agent.
• • June 24, 1992: Selected Adam Keefe (1st round, 10th pick) and Elmer Bennett (2nd
• • November 3, 1992: Traded Rumeal Robinson to the New Jersey Nets for Mookie Blaylock and Roy Hinson.
• June 30, 1993: Selected Doug Edwards (1st round, 15th pick) and Rich Manning (2nd round, 40th pick) in the 1993 NBA Draft.
• • July 2, 1993: Signed Craig Ehlo as a free agent.
• • September 7, 1993: Signed Andrew Lang as a free agent.
• • October, 1993: Signed Ennis Whatley as a free agent.
• • November 26, 1993: Signed John Bagley as a free agent.
• • February 24, 1994: Traded Dominique Wilkins and a 1994 1st round draft pick (Greg Minor was later selected) to the Los Angeles Clippers for Danny Manning.
• • June 22, 1994: Traded Roy Hinson to the Milwaukee Bucks for Ken Norman.
• • June 29, 1994: Selected Gaylon Nickerson (2nd round, 34th pick) in the 1994 NBA Draft.
• • September 16, 1994: Traded Adam Keefe to the Utah Jazz for Tyrone Corbin and a 1995 2nd round draft pick (Cuonzo Martin was later selected).

The Moves of Danny Ferry
Posted Image

• June 28, 2012: Selected John Jenkins (1st round, 23rd pick) and Mike Scott (2nd round, 43rd pick) in the 2012 NBA Draft.
• July 11, 2012: Traded Marvin Williams to the Utah Jazz for Devin Harris.
• July 11, 2012: Traded Joe Johnson to the Brooklyn Nets for Jordan Farmar, Anthony Morrow, Johan Petro, DeShawn Stevenson, Jordan Williams, a 2013 1st round draft pick (Shane Larkin was later selected) and a 2017 2nd round draft pick.
• July 12, 2012: Signed Louis Williams as a free agent.
• July 16, 2012: Traded cash to the Chicago Bulls for Kyle Korver. Chicago also received a trade exception from Atlanta.
• February 21, 2013: Traded Anthony Morrow to the Dallas Mavericks for Dahntay Jones.
• June 27, 2013: Selected Dennis Schröder (1st round, 17th pick), Shane Larkin (1st round, 18th pick), Raul Neto (2nd round, 47th pick) and James Ennis (2nd round, 50th pick) in the 2013 NBA Draft.
• June 27, 2013: Traded Shane Larkin and cash to the Dallas Mavericks for Jared Cunningham, Lucas Nogueira and Mike Muscala.
• July 10, 2013: Signed Paul Millsap as a free agent.
• July 15, 2013: Signed Elton Brand as a free agent.
• July 29, 2013: Signed Gustavo Ayón as a free agent.
• August 3, 2013: Signed DeMarre Carroll as a free agent.
Edited by yungsta

• Admin

I'm voting Billy Knight all the way. His hair is waaay better than Ferry's obviously and beats Babcock's christian conservative look by a bit too.

Funny

The only really good move Knight seemed to make was drafting Smith at 17 and the Joe Johnson trade.

The moves of Billy King vs Rob Babcock vs Danny Ainge. Duh.

Funneeee - I know that lol.In what context? Success or failure of team the next season? Draft spot after 1 season? Hair Styles? LolWhat are the parameters for the discussion since Ferry has only 1 full year here.

• Moderators

Funny

The only really good move Knight seemed to make was drafting Smith at 17 and the Joe Johnson trade.

I still think Josh was a good pick but was it as good as we once thought? Kevin Martin, Jameer Nelson, anderson varejo were all available too. I still think Josh is a great talent but in hindsight was he that great of pick for what we needed.

• Moderators

Funneeee - I know that lol.In what context? Success or failure of team the next season? Draft spot after 1 season? Hair Styles? LolWhat are the parameters for the discussion since Ferry has only 1 full year here.

I agree. I was really making fun of the King/Knight. I've got a statue already built for Danny Ferry in my front yard so I'm predicting he surpasses his predecessors but who can tell.

• Admin

I still think Josh was a good pick but was it as good as we once thought? Kevin Martin, Jameer Nelson, anderson varejo were all available too. I still think Josh is a great talent but in hindsight was he that great of pick for what we needed.

Josh is an idiot and a coaches nightmare but yes he is a talent and it was a good pick at 17. I am glad he is someones else headache though.

• Like 1