• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No More At-the-Buzzer Bentley

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

See now, I take my eye off the Dream for just one week, and look what happens! Bentley Gone-sworth!

http://www.wnba.com/dream/news/dreamacquiresajavon031214.html

Alex's WNBA-record three-pointer streak was real nice in the early part of the year, but the funk that followed it was other-worldly bad, even moreso once the playoffs arrived. I think she'll do a great job in the next couple years, though, especially if her conditioning improves. I was looking forward to seeing her development this year, but I'm just fine with a veteran gaurd plus an extra pick instead.

Fred and Marynell hit it big two years in a row on second-round picks, as Tip Hayes and Bentley made it to their All-Rookie teams. Now new GM Angela Taylor will get two shots to make a splash with her second-round picks.

When Marynell was in charge, the Dream tried to get Ajavon in the 2012 offseason. They actually signed her to a RFA deal but the Mystics matched it.

I used to call Matee a "Dream-killer", as she always seemed to have her best games against us, so it's good to have her in the fold here. She was (thankfully) a non-factor as the starting PG in the conference semis against Atlanta, but my guess is she was stuck in a squeezeplay between Ivory Latta and up-and-coming rookie Tayler Hill. Over time, she'll be a sound bench option and insurance in the event of injuries.

Bentley fits Connecticut's short-term needs better, as she led last year's rooks in assist-turnover ratio. Kara Lawson's on her way to DC from Connecticut, as part of this deal, so it seems like a bold move for Mike Thibault's gang to bolster the Mystics' backcourt options.

The Dream still need deadeye perimeter shooters on this roster, as Matee shoots under 30 percent on threes. I have just a few words for Madame Taylor... Shoni Schimmel. Bring her to me. (also, Trish Liston from Duke, if you don't mind).

~lw3

• 2 weeks later...

So now the news gets even worse - Arminti Herrington has signed with LA. She's a UFA so we get nothing in return - not even a bag of chips. No doubt drawn to the bright lights of the big city by her mentor, Carol Ross. So now what do we do? Shoni is one of my favorites, but I prefer Bria Hartley from UConn. I also like Liston. Not too sure Hartley will be available at No. 8. Its not entirely bad news, as it opens the door for Hayes to move into the starting lineup, and if she can avoid injury from crashing to the floor 20 times a game, she will probably have her best year yet.

Another possibility in the draft - Ty Marshall from Tech - she seems to fit the Arminti mold.

Edited by Randy
  • Like 1

Things have taken a turn for the better in a big way. The Dream has signed Celine Dumerc, star of the 2012 Olympics where she led France to a Silver Medal knocking off many more highly regarded teams along the way. The best part is she's a true pg and 3 point threat!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Well - at the Buzzer Bentley rides again, hitting a big 3 in the closing second of the 2nd quarter last night for the Sun in their defeat of the evil cheaters, the Phoenix Mercury. Dear Alex has been on a tear lately hitting career highs in her last 2 games. It may be early (and a bit unfair given Ajavon's injury problems) but its time to compare the 3 team trade players. but the season is now nearly 30% over so I'll do it anyway. When it happened the consensus was that Lawson was the best player and the Mystics got the best end of the deal. Right now it looks instead like the Sun got the best of the deal, and the Dream the worst.

PLAYER G GS PPG FG% 3% A S TO Minutes

Alex 10 6 9.8 46 43 3.3 .8 1.9 20

Matee 7 1 2.3 19 0 .6 1.3 1.6 11

Kara 9 4 6.3 33 28 2.1 .3 .7 22

In fairness to the Dream, I think when the trade was made they probably knew they would lose Arminti and get Dumerc. They probably also figured they would be able to get either Shoni or Bria Hartley (who has been starting in place of Lawson at DC) so Alex would have been uneeded (esp. considering they also signed Sammy Prahalis to a training camp deal.) As the limited numbers show, Ajavon's strength has been in steals but otherwise, she has just not gotten untracked this year.

The more interesting part of the deal was DC trading Bentley for Lawson. Its looking more and more like they should have hung onto Alex, though Lawson will probably start putting up better numbers and Alex is in the midst of one of her hot streaks.

I'll probably update this once the season is over. In the end - the Sun got another young player who is going to be around for a while and probably only get better. I see them as a really strong team in a few years.

• Like 1

Upfate - last night Alex hit another buzzer beater and scored 24. This was her third straight night of hitting a career high. She should be WNBA East Player of the Week after leading the Sun to 3 victories, and averaging over 20 points.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Can you imagine what an offensive luxury we'd have in the backcourt with Bentley coming off the bench... specifically shooting the way she is right now?

I have no idea exactly what's changed since the second half of last year, but I'd like to think she got some good player development from the Sun assistants... and maybe even while she was down in Brazil with Erika, Nadia, and Tiffany, the latter of whom has been hitting perimeter shots pretty well.

~lw3

• Like 1

Good question, but I think its probably just Bentley being streaky Bentley. I remember last year she went on a tear for a few games and was moved into the starting lineup. She had a game against Seattle where she just hit everything. We were in a skid though and after starting a few games, Fred moved her back to the bench - after that she dropped off a lot. I always thought that hurt her confidence, and she didn't do so well after that. So I think with her, confidence makes a difference. Eventually, I expect her to drop off, though. Remember her streak of 10 3's in row? Didn't hold up. Last night she was on again, but only scored 9, since she took a really bad fall. She walked it off, but was not put back into the game since the Sun were blowing out Indy. I can see her as a averaging say 12 ppg and 4 assists, shooting about 40%.

The funny part of all this is Bentley has become the Jordan Crawford of the Dream. (Shhh - don't tell Dolfan, or he might make us move this to an Around the WNBA forumdon-t_mention.gif)

• Like 1