• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021 WNBA Draft (April 11, 7 PM) Preview

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Who is the darling who’ll make your Atlanta Dream feel brand new?

Naturally, they’re not telling. But with the WNBA Draft mere hours away (Today at 7 PM Eastern, ESPN), we’ll find out soon enough. That is thanks to this past Thursday’s swap for the #1 overall pick, with the Washington Mystics, that might prove as significant for the near-term trajectory of the Dream as the Falcons’ trade-up with the San Diego Chargers to get first dibs on a star college quarterback in 2001.

Heading into this weekend, we were all set to complain how unfair it seemed that the 2019 WNBA champion Mystics lucked their way back into a championship-contending dynasty, what with Elena Delle Donne reportedly returning to full health, and the Thibaults seemingly going nowhere anytime soon. They leapfrogged Indiana, Atlanta and Dallas at Lottery time, and all assertions suggested, with Kentucky’s wonder-wing Rhyne Howard and Baylor’s standout forward NaLyssa Smith prime for the picking, Mike Thibault and the Styx couldn’t possibly go wrong.

GM_HC_Asst.GM_Interview_960x540.0000000.

Now, after one bold stroke from the reconstituted front office, led by former Las Vegas Aces GM Dan Padover (seated, middle), the new consensus is that the Dream somehow could go wrong.

To an extent, the critical view is the safe one. Whoever is the first selection is heading to a team directed not by the winningest coach in league history, but by a first-time WNBA coach in Tanisha Wright (seated, right). Not to a club with a two-time league MVP and W25 all-time team member, but one whose most esteemed veteran is 2018 WNBA All-Star Tiffany Hayes.

wbb_howard_022722_2.jpg

Wrapping up her career at UK averaging over 20 PPG once more, Howard is a three-time collegiate All-American and has been a showstopping scorer ever since her blue-chip days as a highly sought recruit out of Cleveland, Tennessee. Howard possesses great size for her position and has some defensive aptitude and versatility to round out her game.

1355738415.jpg

A freshman backup in 2019 who, in a pinch, replaced an injured Lauren Cox to help Baylor win the Natty, Smith became a Wade Trophy winner in 2021, then continued wowing everyone under the watch of former Dream head coach Nicki Collen this past season, averaging over 20-and-10 as a top-notch rebounder and reliable post scorer.

1238285426.jpg

In both cases, Atlanta risks being accused of a bit of roster redundancy. Howard draws easy comparisons to peak-career Hayes as a two-way wing scorer, while Smith, the returning Cheyenne Parker (maternal leave) and Bally Sports commentator Monique Billings would all be pressed to help out as a committee of undersized pivots. Atlanta needs a center that would render the 35-year-old Kia Vaughn a worthy backup, and Ole Miss’ Shakira Austin was looking like a cinch at #3 before the trade-up.

The critical view, in these cases, would be shortsighted ones. No one, aside from Parker, has a protected contract extending beyond 2022. The current contracts are of the make-good variety, should players wish to return in the following season, and those who do will make good by meshing well with whichever player gets their name called first by WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert.

1232636065.0.jpg

Whichever position is unfilled could be accommodated in the second-round at #15, should Padover and Atlanta feel the urge to make a needs-based pick. However, it must be noted that, unless 2020’s third-overall pick was selected by force from the new ownership, the GM who drafted WNBA All-Rookie First Teamer Aari McDonald was ousted roughly a week later.

GettyImages-1239732001-e1649276908883.jp

A few standout point guards, led by South Carolina champ Destanni Henderson, Australia’s Jade Melbourne, Michigan State’s Nia Clouden and Northwestern’s Veronica Burton, could slide into the early second round with so much focus on wings and bigs at the top of the draft. If Padover isn’t sold on McDonald as the play-setter going forward, she could have some good competition for the full-time starting position, at least by mid-season.

FMxfnUiWUAMTVkQ?format=jpg

If Atlanta goes big, any of Michigan’s Naz Hillmon, Georgia Tech’s Lorela Cubaj, NC State’s Elissa Cunane, or UConn’s Olivia Nelson-Ododa could conceivably fall to Atlanta at #15. Few have much of an exterior game, but as second-rounders who stick, there would be time to develop those skills, assuming the new regime is committed to improving player development.

Very soon, Dream fans… we’ll be singing songs ‘cause of… who?

Let’s Go Dream!

~lw3

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Another star coming! Nice. I really enjoyed Vick’s stardom and pizzazz. Didn’t like the off field stuff as a dog lover.

47 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Georgia Tech’s Lorela Cubaj,

Kg follow ladies G Tech? Heck ya keepem home!

Nice write up lw3. Again, don’t know much at all about the WNBA but more lately. Go ladies.

Go Dream! 

• Like 3

• Moderators

Stuff to keep an eye on between picks #1 and #15...

What did Washington see as a better stash option at #3 to pass up the top-overall pick? It will be quite a cascading effect if that pick isn't Austin. Longtime Dream center Elizabeth Williams arrived in The District via free agency, but the Mystics' frontcourt shoes alongside Delle Donne will be tougher to fill with Tina Charles having departed for Phoenix.

Phoenix doesn't pick until #26, the second pick in the third and final round. But there is a (B)i(G) sized hole in the middle of the starting lineup, for unfortunate and obvious reasons. While Charles and Brianna Turner can hold it down, there is no clear depth for the Mercury behind them. Do they see someone they like enough to trade up, or to trade in?

The defending champs, Kahleah Copper's and Candace Parker's Chicago Sky, won their rings just in time, as they have already traded off all of their 2022 picks. They're likely to lean on veterans, rather than rookies, to fill the final couple of gaps among the second string.

The other teams with no first-rounders are Minnesota (no picks until #33) and Seattle (no picks until #17 and #18). The Lynx know that Napheesa Collier, expecting a child next month, will miss the start of the season, while this will be the great Sylvia Fowles' final rodeo. There's not much room for another player (former star Angel McCoughtry left Las Vegas for Minnesota), but a final useful piece to enhance their depth from the outset could be helpful down the road. The Storm might be tempted to package their picks to move up, at least arranging to have someone take their target on their behalf.

Dallas, as usual, is in a roster crunch. They are one over the limit of players under contract, and have a first-rounder coming. Who they'll take at #7 is likely to stick, but at whose cost?

Liz Cambage has joined former Dream guard Chennedy Carter in Los Angeles. As is the case with Delle Donne in D.C., Las Vegas and new coach Becky Hammon would prefer not to wear down their frontcourt star, A'ja Wilson, at the 5-spot. The Aces have traded in for an additional first-rounder, giving them three picks between #8 and #13. Does Hammon see a potential guard protégé among the options around the back end of the first round?

No one has swung and missed on first rounders of late worse than Indiana, which put two Lottery picks from the last few years on waivers. Franchise legend Tamika Catchings gave the managerial keys to her former coach, Lin Dunn, who now have four first-rounders in the top ten selections, and plenty of room to accommodate them all. Surely, the Fever won't whiff badly again, right? Right?

~lw3

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dnice said:

Welcome Rhyne Howard...too bad Aliyah Boston is a junior..the dream could use a shot in the arm.

Boston is like a female Tim Duncan. Whereas Howard game reminds me of Bradley Beal if he was 6'9. Some will call her the female KD but when I watched her games, I didn't think she scored as effortlessly as Durant. I do think she fits the WNBA a lot more than college basketball. I am expecting her to be as big for us in the future as Angel was for us. I always liken Angel to Carmelo Anthony. 

• Like 3

The player Hillmon reminds me of is Tyler Hansbrough. I do think she's more balanced and longer compared to their peers but very similar. Undersized 4. Elite motor. Great rebounder. Great hands. Offensive minded. She's a good grab for 15. She was one of the best college Basketball players. Probably top 5. I do question her ability to translate and she needs to add range or she will not be in the WNBA very long.

• Thanks 1

The excitement builds as a Dream fan.  The new owners, who came aboard last summer, now has a rebuilt team.  Very few players from last season remain.  That was a terrible experience.  A new GM, a new head coach and assistant coaches and what we hope are two really, really good draft picks along with all the free agent signings and trades means that everything is new!

:smug:

• Like 1

Thank you NBASupes.  Dream have drafted two great winners!  With these two and all the other new Dream players coming this summer, I'm excited about our chances in the WNBA!!

🥰

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NBASupes said:

@Gray Mule

The first set of clips I like the move at 1:16 doing some work in the paint. 

Not afraid of body contact, good fundamentals, quick instincts and always seems to be aware of the ball.

Towards the end of those highlights she was gettin straight GROWN WOMAN 👩 boards! I like her…

and then there were 2 😉 

@Gray Mule she’s got a Kevin McHale feel to her game.

Our top pick had a KD game to me.

Now McHale was a PF, is she a C? 

4 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Thank you NBASupes.  Dream have drafted two great winners!  With these two and all the other new Dream players coming this summer, I'm excited about our chances in the WNBA!!

🥰

KD ✔️ 

McHale ✔️ 

Good lookin out Supes.

• Thanks 1