• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is a Superstar actually requied?

DJlaysitup

• Premium Member

You just described last year's Pacer team. And they couldn't win it. What you will find is that the game requires that guy who can get points for you when facing strong defenses. We teach that defense wins championships. In basketball, that's not true. You still have to score. Superstars win championships has been true since Larry and Magic.

This is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Me and all my mouth...I can't even add anything else to it...lol

You just described last year's Pacer team. And they couldn't win it. What you will find is that the game requires that guy who can get points for you when facing strong defenses. We teach that defense wins championships. In basketball, that's not true. You still have to score. Superstars win championships has been true since Larry and Magic.

Yes, of course you have to score, but...

You don't have to score in the last minute of the game if you have run your system effectively for the first 47 minutes and are up by 12 points.

P.S. - I don't count Magic and Bird as real modern day superstars...they were actually just VERY effective system guys. They were both extremely effective at running their teams but you seldom saw either of them putting up 40 points.

Edited by DJlaysitup

Would you consider Mr. Isaiah Thomas to be a star at that time or no? Do you think those Piston teams still win those titles if they had somebody like Michael Adams or Doc Rivers playing point instead?

Oh no question he was, but he detailed that the game was tailored towards the big guy back then, which is the opposite now. He sacrificed his scoring output, and therefore his possible salary as well, for the good of the team. He allowed Noe to shine in the second Finals. They encouraged Dennis to take a bigger role, making him DPOY. Dantley had to be shipped out because he thought he was bigger than the team. A respected scorer who played no defense and kept up contreversy. Basically, the old-school Melo.

• Premium Member

That's pretty much what i believe or at least want to. But you look at the NCAA where ref'ing seems to be closer to neutral and the superstar players don't take you to the championship as easily as the NBA. Granted there are a lot of other factors.

If you're already a great player being able to not only get touch fouls but commit offensive fouls at will with no call is an unbelievably huge advantage. I mean where would Shaq and Dwight be if they weren't allowed to push guys out of the way?

Yeah, there's a lot of factors..more teams, more system based, the talent spread wider, talent is more raw...and better officiating. Though you do see the NBA prospects often creeping into that Elite Eight/Final Four. It'd be really interesting to see a historical comparison of NBA talent to the tourney brackets.

I agree though completely with the latter part of what you're saying...and it sucks. Though, it doesn't take away from the clean plays where these guys are dominating. Which is happening FAR more often than a crappy call here or there.

I also have to admit to being a Shaq fan... :D Dwight is an under-skilled big that gets away with crap and leans on his size/athleticism, IMO but some people really missed the things that made Shaq special...because YES, the NBA "loved" him too lol.

Superstar? No. There's about 3 of them to go around. 2 legit all-stars? Yup. In a great system with a great coach, a 2 all-star team can win it all.

So you must believe we are ready with sap and horford. To me that's two legit all stars.

Now I'm on board with you...hell I mean we have nothing to lose! Move sap to the 3, horford to the 4 and let's see what happens.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Yes, of course you have to score, but...

You don't have to score in the last minute of the game if you have run your system effectively for the first 47 minutes and are up by 12 points.

P.S. - I don't count Magic and Bird as real modern day superstars...they were actually just VERY effective system guys. They were both extremely effective at running their teams but you seldom saw either of them putting up 40 points.

So Magic and Bird were just really effective "system guys"? So what do you consider guys like Kareem, Worthy, Mchale and Parrish to be?

• Premium Member

So you must believe we are ready with sap and horford. To me that's two legit all stars.

Now I'm on board with you...hell I mean we have nothing to lose! Move sap to the 3, horford to the 4 and let's see what happens.

0a077a3d903901d10f1e150a34accbdddeecc185

• Premium Member

It's funny how this "system" thing is being trumped up to be the most important component to championships when some of the most brilliant basketball minds around (Poppovich for one) pretty much disagrees with that.

Agree about the label of super star. But the league NEEDS them and will promote them one way or another. It is a league of stars but it be interesting to see if there are changes in this regard as Stern retires. The Spurs have guys who are stars but they don't hype them like super stars. This seems to be Budz style.

• Like 1

0a077a3d903901d10f1e150a34accbdddeecc185

No sarcasm here...VERY serious! You got ya two all stars (sap/horford). Now let's make something happen.

I will be the one hawk fan to believe we could go to the finals if we had this lineup:

Pg-Teague

Sg-athletic guard who can penetrate the lane like Teague

Sf-Sap

Pf-Horford

C-Hawes (hawks could really get this guy)

With rotation guys like Korver, Carroll, Pero & Brand.

As long as they play feisty defense and hustle much like this years team, we can win it ALL. On offense that team would hands down be top 10 not to mention very efficient (spurs like).

Edited by JTB

No a superstar is not required to win. Remember the Pacers a few years back? They were technically a no name team who started coming on strong with great chemistry. They all played hard and most of all, they played together. Even superstar teams like the Heat put them up on their radar and began to struggle with their intensity. They had a chip on their shoulder and played with their hearts on their sleeves. Over time they actually developed superstars.

Now look at the Knicks who are "Super Star struck". They paid a crap load for their stars Stoudemire and Carmelo and they can't win crap. So a super star doesn't equal wins. Chemistry and buying into a coach's philosophy is what brings wins. Now like the Heat, if you have superstars with chemistry that buy into their team's goals, you get championships.

The one thing superstars do create is ticket sales. A lot of so-called Heat fans are actually LeBron fans and if he went to OKC, most of them would start wearing Thunder jerseys.

• Like 1

No sarcasm here...VERY serious! You got ya two all stars (sap/horford). Now let's make something happen.

I will be the one hawk fan to believe we could go to the finals if we had this lineup:

Pg-Teague

Sg-athletic guard who can penetrate the lane like Teague

Sf-Sap

Pf-Horford

C-Hawes (hawks could really get this guy)

With rotation guys like Korver, Carroll, Pero & Brand.

As long as they play feisty defense and hustle much like this years team, we can win it ALL. On offense that team would hands down be top 10 not to mention very efficient (spurs like).

This is not even a good 2nd round team. This is basically an easy 2nd round exit team. In this west, this team barely makes the playoffs.