• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's talk about the hawks bench....

JTB

On this Journey of TRYING to mock the identity of the all time great spurs franchise best the hawks can.....I think we can all agree that the bench should be a huge focus! The spurs bench is a huge reason this small market franchise have found a way to win 4 championships since 98-99 and appear in 6 including this year.

Personally one thing I always loved about the spurs bench is that they can drop a shit load of points! Which I think is more important than anything when it comes to a nba bench. So what moves do you think ferry and bud should make to get the hawks bench to become one of the strongest in the league?

Edited by JTB

I got 3 steps...

1.Get Hayward,Ariza,or Granger

2.Trade Schröder, our 1st, an Lou for a top 10 pick an draft a NBA ready SG like Smart

3.Get a big rebounding shot blocking big man in FA like Hawes,Hill,etc.

Then we can do the following...

1.Move Horford back to 4 an Milsap to the bench for some major points!

2.Make Korver our 6th man.

3.Keep our front court fresh with a solid mix of Milsap, Antić, Horford, Bebe, an new FA signing

I got 3 steps...

2.Trade Schröder, our 1st, an Lou for a top 10 pick an draft a NBA ready SG like Smart

3.Keep our front court fresh with a solid mix of Milsap, Antić, Horford, Bebe, an new FA signing

Milsap was our only All-Star (Al would've been one had it not been for his pectorial) the last thing we need to do is put him on the bench.

Milsap was our only All-Star (Al would've been one had it not been for his pectorial) the last thing we need to do is put him on the bench.

He would still have starting minutes just with a different group...Think like Scola,Gortat type role minutes wise...

Doesn't matter as long as he gets starter minutes like ginobli. I don't worry about who's starting and whose not. Bud will put the best lineup on the floor depending on the situation.

Bench millsap? Just so we can technically "have a strong bench." Lol

start millsap and horford. That is our most talented front court and they play with each other great.

how about actually get more talent for the bench thru free agency? Marshon brooks(cheap) can be better than lou with better size. A jodie meeks can be a good bench player at the right price.

• Like 2

I got 3 steps...

Might aswell trade Millsap if we put him on the bench. He is guaranteed to be gone next year if we do.

Agree on Meeks. Brooks is a poor, poor man's Nick Young. No thanks.

We should do a thread on guys that get overrated by Hawksquawk. Brooks and Jose Calderon would head the list.

Calderon actually has value since he's the best 3pt shooting PG in the league and is one of the better assist men in the game as well. Brooks has never been anything and he's not likely to be either. He had 1 good game against the Hawks what 3 years ago as a rookie? And people can't forget that and project great potential on him.

Agree on Meeks. Brooks is a poor, poor man's Nick Young. No thanks.

We should do a thread on guys that get overrated by Hawksquawk. Brooks and Jose Calderon would head the list.

I don't get the love affair with Brooks - he's shown absolutely no growth to indicate he can improve the Hawks bench - pass. Edited by JayBirdHawk

Pretty much this.

I actually don't think Calderon would make us a better team despite the facts you listed. Anyway, the "Overated" thread would be an interesting one for such discussion. Especially when I throw Lance and Hawes into the mix. gamer4.gif

Yeah I don't think Calderon is the right fit for us as we need a PG who can break down the D and cause them to rotate. Just saying I think Calderon is a good player and a good fit for a team like Dallas.

• Moderators

One thing that should make us all happy is that the spurs bench can win you games, the spurs can win games without parker, the spurs can win games with duncan not even getting that many touches. Its because of the system. Diaw and those guys languish on other benches but all of a sudden are dropping 25 in the WCF clincher. It's the system.

The other thing about benches though is don't they make bigger folding chairs? I mean this is a multi billion dollar industry and these guys are in kindergarten seats.

• Like 1

One thing that should make us all happy is that the spurs bench can win you games, the spurs can win games without parker, the spurs can win games with duncan not even getting that many touches. Its because of the system. Diaw and those guys languish on other benches but all of a sudden are dropping 25 in the WCF clincher. It's the system.

The other thing about benches though is don't they make bigger folding chairs? I mean this is a multi billion dollar industry and these guys are in kindergarten seats.

Probably don't have room for any wider chairs there

It's not just about the system though - Pop actually plays the bench QUALITY MINUTES during the regular season so the moment is not too big when thrown into the fire. Look at the starter minutes throughout the season - averages right around 30 minutes per game.

More importantly - Pop and TD trusts them to make the right plays.

Pretty much this.

I actually don't think Calderon would make us a better team despite the facts you listed. Anyway, the "Overated" thread would be an interesting one for such discussion. Especially when I throw Lance and Hawes into the mix. gamer4.gif

Hawes isn't overrated or underrated. He's a 3 point shooting 7 footer that can get you about 8 boards a game. He's nothing more than that and I'm sure I like him the most on this board. Hawes is what he is....for what he does I think he's worth 7-8m and maybe 9m cause he will make bigs that are shot blockers idle when he's in the lineup.

Not sure why you think lance is overrated...but he's an elite defender in my book and probably just a really good defender to most people with decent offense and an attitude problem, a really bad attitude problem! But skill wise he's not overrated.

Taller though. We need taller. I mean the ceiling is like 100 feet up.

Celtics_Heat_Basketball(5)_t607.jpg

How about the Phil Jackson high chair?

But then the fans behinds the bench will complain.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

I think Hawes will regress once given a contract. JMHO.

Lance is a sometimes player with a sense of entitlement and a poor/immature attitude on top of all that. He's probably lucky to not be a felon honestly. Yet some would have us pay him a long-term, near-max deal.

I say he's over-rated skill-wise because his skill can't be evaluated in a vacuum and independent from the problems I mentioned. That's kinda like saying, "Man if Michael Vick had Peyton's mind he'd be great." We can't pay for the end product assuming he'll "get it". Reality tells us he probably won't. Again, JMHO.

What was this thread about again?

A felon! Man that's pretty harsh! I rather we just end it right here.