• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Free Agency: Deng or Ariza?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Neither.  I would rather stick with DMC and keep our cap open for 2015 if those are our only options.

I think Deng can be had on a Millsap like contract.   Moreover, for us to be effective in 2015, we have to have somebody to trade.  Capspace alone is not going to get us a KD.  Learn from the lesson of the past, we have to have tradable players.  That guy named capspace always tends to screw us out of Good deals.

I think Deng can be had on a Millsap like contract.   Moreover, for us to be effective in 2015, we have to have somebody to trade.  Capspace alone is not going to get us a KD.  Learn from the lesson of the past, we have to have tradable players.  That guy named capspace always tends to screw us out of Good deals.

He turned down 3/30 from Chicago and plays a need position in the SF. Unlike Sap, team will want him because of that. 

Edit... Any good or very good SG or SF will get 10 mil plus just because it's a need position. 

Edited by nbasupes40retired

• Premium Member

Words from Deng going into FAcy...

I want to win. A winning situation, that's it. I want to be in a place where guys are committed, the team is committed, the organization is committed, the coaching staff knows what direction they're going.

To me, I play better and I shine better and I'm a better player on a team that's committed to winning. I've been on teams that are losing in the past, and it's shown that it isn't for me because it just drags everybody down. But when a team knows where they're going, what direction they're going, I want to be in a winning environment. That's where I want to be.

Can you say 2 year 18 Million.

• Like 2

Words from Deng going into FAcy...

I want to win. A winning situation, that's it. I want to be in a place where guys are committed, the team is committed, the organization is committed, the coaching staff knows what direction they're going.

To me, I play better and I shine better and I'm a better player on a team that's committed to winning. I've been on teams that are losing in the past, and it's shown that it isn't for me because it just drags everybody down. But when a team knows where they're going, what direction they're going, I want to be in a winning environment. That's where I want to be.

Can you say 2 year 18 Million.

He could go to Dallas...

He could go to Charlotte...

He could go to the Lakers...

He could go to the Suns...

All of those teams can pay him too and will try especially when they miss on Heyward. Deng is SF who teams would like to have even if he isn't in his prime simply because two way SF's who are good are hard to find. He's not coming to Atlanta. 

Deng is not worth 10 million a year. The dude can't even shoot anymore.

Back to my realistic view of what we will do...  When FAcy comes, which player would be the best fit for us:  Deng or Ariza?

I'm a big fan of Deng but his drop off in 3 pt shooting the last 2 years is a major concern. He played the 2012-13 season  with an injured wrist  where his 3 pt shooting dropped to 32%. That was understandable. After off season wrist surgery  his shooting did not go back up in 2013-14. Deng is at a point in his career when his 3 point shooting should be going up, not down.

Deng is 29 year old and Ariza is 28. Both are good defenders. However, Ariza is coming off the best 3 pt shooting season of his career at 40%. Deng is coming off 2 poor season of shooting around 32% from 3. Because of this trend I'd roll with Ariza.

You also have to factor in career mileage when used car shopping for 2 similar model vehicles.........here we are talking SFs:

Deng's career regular season minutes = 24,235

Deng's career playoff minutes = 1,932

Ariza's career regular season minutes = 16,977

Ariza's career playoff minutes = 1,462

Deng's career minutes 26,167 

Ariza's career minutes 18,439

Ariza has 70% of the career minutes that Deng has.

The career minutes do not bother me as bad as Deng's poor shooting trend.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

Just found this on Deng. Maybe you guys already knew this. I always assumed Deng had wrist surgey to repair his torn ligament. However, for some reason he did not have surgery. That explains the poor shooting #'s over the last 2 years.

Why not get your wrist repaired ? I understand wanting to play in the Olympics in 2012 but last summer was the perfect time to fix it.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/outside-shot/Chicago-Bulls-Luol-Deng-Wrist-Injury-208853451.html

Just found this on Deng. Maybe you guys already knew this. I always assumed Deng had wrist surgey to repair his torn ligament. However, for some reason he did not have surgery. That explains the poor shooting #'s over the last 2 years.

Why not get your wrist repaired ? I understand wanting to play in the Olympics in 2012 but last summer was the perfect time to fix it.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/outside-shot/Chicago-Bulls-Luol-Deng-Wrist-Injury-208853451.html

Didn't know that. Surprised he didn't take care of it

• Premium Member

He could go to Dallas...

He could go to Charlotte...

He could go to the Lakers...

He could go to the Suns...

All of those teams can pay him too and will try especially when they miss on Heyward. Deng is SF who teams would like to have even if he isn't in his prime simply because two way SF's who are good are hard to find. He's not coming to Atlanta. 

Yeah, I read that article too.  However, none of those teams have the blueprint that we already have.  Those teams are lacking a plan.... Just like Cleveland.  Plus Ferry has that Duke comraderie over those other guys.

Yeah, I read that article too.  However, none of those teams have the blueprint that we already have.  Those teams are lacking a plan.... Just like Cleveland.  Plus Ferry has that Duke comraderie over those other guys.

lol

Ariza due to his flexibility. By that I mean his willingness not to be the man. I think Dengs' biggest issue in Chicago was his alpha dog attitude on the offensive end. Its perfect for his defensive mindset; but offensively, he has not been the man for a few years now.

Ariza due to his flexibility. By that I mean his willingness not to be the man. I think Dengs' biggest issue in Chicago was his alpha dog attitude on the offensive end. Its perfect for his defensive mindset; but offensively, he has not been the man for a few years now.

Deng has never struck me as having an alpha dog attitude. He never pouted when DRose was the man. I think he was forced to score more when DR got injured twice and I don't think carrying the scoring load was best suited for him.

He always gave his all defensively.