• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Does anyone remember this game(2003)?

anxietyreigns

My first Hawks game in person was Wizards @ Hawks in April 2003.

Hawks had JT and Shareef.

Zards had MJ.

It was a weird game. Jordan didn't do much until the 4th when he led a comeback that tied the game late. He actually missed what would've been the game winner, Hawks got the rebound and called a TO w/ 0.8 left(I think it was .8, I know was less than 1 second). That is when it got weird. I saw something I have never seen in a basketball game.

With the game tied at 0.8 and the Hawks in bounding from half court, the following happened:

The in bounds pass was lobbed toward the goal but no one caught the lob and the ball hit the floor near the basket on the weak side, then took a high bounce(so clock still hasn't started). Shareef Abdur-Rahim ran over and quickly gathered the ball, turned, and fired all in one motion. The description in the link I provided says it was a 17-footer. Anyway, as I remember, the ball hit 3 different places on the goal(rim, top of backboard, rim again) then into the basket for the buzzer-beating win.

It was so bizarre to see 0.8 last what seemed like 5 or 6 seconds. The reaction from the bipartisan crowd was something like "WTF just happened?".

Here is a link to the box score that I found plus a play-by-play run down of the 4th quarter.

If anyone can find a video of the last play, I would love to see it again.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=230403001&period=4

• Like 1

I was at the 1st game Jordan played in Atlanta with the Wizards. I didn't remember Reff hitting the buzzer beater until you mentioned it. He was a Baller. It's a shame we could not put a better team around him. Ratliff was too hurt, Big Dog was prematurely too old, and JT was too young.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 2

Okay, now I see in the recap section that it was actually 0.6 seconds left on the inbound.

Also it only mentions 2 bounces off the goal before going in - rim then top of backboard.

Recap doesn't specifically confirm whether or not the pass bounced first before being gathered by Shareef.

I'm foggy because I've never seen a replay and it was 11 years ago.

I can confirm that it was the most bizarre ending I've ever seen to a basketball game.

Hm, I should be in that gif.  I need to find a higher rez version!   At the time, I sat in row B, very close to center court behind the Hawks players side.      That game was also fun for me because I got a little too tipsy, heckled Jordan, and a ref (forget who it was, not one of the 'big name' refs) told me to sit down.

I think about that game alllll the time.  The home crowd also booed Reef during his FTs, and after the game Reef said something about "well I hope they got their money's worth."  Very weird, fun, kind of sad game.

By the way, JaJuan, that is probably the best first Hawks game anyone could see.   It's still my favorite game!

A blast from the past.............nice distraction from the insanity of FA.  Who was the coach.

It looks like that was the season Kruger was replaced, so Stotts?

By the way, JaJuan, that is probably the best first Hawks game anyone could see.   It's still my favorite game!

I worked with a guy here in Knoxville, he wanted to see MJ in person, so we drove down on a wimb.

I was for the Hawks obviously, and he just basically wanted to see a Bulls Jordan performance.

I saw Hawks/Pistons with the Pistons coming off their championship year. Pistons won in OT after Gugliotta had tied the game with a 3 at end of regulation(I think that's how it went).

Also saw Hawks/Sixers in 04 or 05 I think(these 3 games sort of run together in my mind). Iverson didn't even make the trip and he was most of the reason we drove down. I think the Iverson-less Sixers actually beat us that night. Eric F'n Snow took the game over.

My first Hawks game was the game that Nique was traded...#$@%€.....:-(

It's funny you mentioned this. Not a game situation or anything but I ordered a Nique jersey in Jan. of that year...it was supposed to arrive 2 weeks later. Well it kept getting delayed longer and longer and it took about 6 weeks and I finally got it. It was a red road Clippers #21Nique jersey. I was sad/angry/disappointed, every emotion. Long story short I have a red road Nique Clipps jersey :-(

My first Hawks game in person was Wizards @ Hawks in April 2003.

Hawks had JT and Shareef.

Zards had MJ.

It was a weird game. Jordan didn't do much until the 4th when he led a comeback that tied the game late. He actually missed what would've been the game winner, Hawks got the rebound and called a TO w/ 0.8 left(I think it was .8, I know was less than 1 second). That is when it got weird. I saw something I have never seen in a basketball game.

With the game tied at 0.8 and the Hawks in bounding from half court, the following happened:

The in bounds pass was lobbed toward the goal but no one caught the lob and the ball hit the floor near the basket on the weak side, then took a high bounce(so clock still hasn't started). Shareef Abdur-Rahim ran over and quickly gathered the ball, turned, and fired all in one motion. The description in the link I provided says it was a 17-footer. Anyway, as I remember, the ball hit 3 different places on the goal(rim, top of backboard, rim again) then into the basket for the buzzer-beating win.

It was so bizarre to see 0.8 last what seemed like 5 or 6 seconds. The reaction from the bipartisan crowd was something like "WTF just happened?".

Here is a link to the box score that I found plus a play-by-play run down of the 4th quarter.

If anyone can find a video of the last play, I would love to see it again.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=230403001&period=4

I vaguely remember it.

I think a lot of the crowd was rooting against the Hawks that night . But I do remember the game winner.