• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta Hawks: The 46 year old virgin

HawkItus

This summer has done it for me.  I don't get it.  It is so depressing that the big name guys won't even talk to us.  I could see not choosing us, but to not even listen is just damning.  We are a respectable franchise.  We win.  We have money and we have talent.  But, these guys treat us like the flat chested tomboy around the pool.   Nobody knows what it will take.  The media is coming around, but the players think we are invisible.  My friends will this ever change?  Are we destined to B+ talent?  Will we ever have one of "the" guys?

How do we know that Danny actually wanted to talk to Melo or LeBron? It's highly debatable if Melo is a good fit for us and who knows maybe Danny had his fill of LeBron in Cleveland and all this talk about us making room was so that we could go after someone else via FA or through trade. 

• Like 1

How do we know that Danny actually wanted to talk to Melo or LeBron? It's highly debatable if Melo is a good fit for us and who knows maybe Danny had his fill of LeBron in Cleveland and all this talk about us making room was so that we could go after someone else via FA or through trade. 

Perhaps, but don't you at least have to sit down with Lebron?  Beyond the on court talent, this team needs ticket sales and a presence.  Lebron answers all three.   Even if it is just a procedural thing.   I don't know, just tired of this team being overlooked.   

Perhaps, but don't you at least have to sit down with Lebron?  Beyond the on court talent, this team needs ticket sales and a presence.  Lebron answers all three.   Even if it is just a procedural thing.   I don't know, just tired of this team being overlooked.   

I look at it like this. If you've dated the hot, but crazy chick, and had her cheat on you, do you go and have a date with her once she's back on the market? That's possibly how Danny sees it. 

Plus we don't know that Danny didn't have a talk with LeBron's reps either. I think only his reps have met with teams or talked to teams as he's supposedly staying out of it until the end isn't he? 

I do agree it sucks being overlooked but someday that will change... :kickcan:

• Like 1

I do not understand where the idea that the Hawks have never attracted a marquee free agent come from. We did it with Dikembe, although that was during a period where RFA was not in effect.

But to further push this idea, please tell me which teams in the league sign marquee free agents. Out of the 30 teams in the league, you'll recognize this same exact story can be told for most teams. Chicago has never signed a marquee free agent and they are the 3rd largest market. Now if you want to claim the marquee free agent story is all about "getting to talk" to the marquee free agent, well we were one of 5 teams to talk to Dwight last year (LA, Mavs, Houston, GS, ATL). So it isn't as if we are completely overlooked.

Let's not go all chicken-little on this right now. We've still got time to build a team, and with the way the new CBA is there are new ways to build a team. If I want to be all narrow-minded then I'll point out that the 3 teams that have won with the new CBA in effect all did it demonstrably different ways. The Mavs made their moves through trades to acquire all their big names. The Heat made their big moves through free agency to get their big names. And the Spurs acquired their big names through the draft. Further, it could be argued through Win Shares that the Spurs did not have a single top 20 player in the NBA during their championship run. The Mavs had one player in the top 20. And the Heat had two top 20 players.

• Moderators

I'm a little frustrated with it too although I don't think Melo is a great fit for us.   He'd be a draw though.   Lebron though.  He must not be interested in coming here because every team in the nba should be interested in signing him.

Frankly, I think we should be after Bosh.   Teague/Korver/Thebo/Horford/Bosh is a helluva a lineup.  Plug in Deng or Millsap if we have them.  DMC/payne/scott off the bench.

I do not understand where the idea that the Hawks have never attracted a marquee free agent come from. We did it with Dikembe, although that was during a period where RFA was not in effect.

But to further push this idea, please tell me which teams in the league sign marquee free agents. Out of the 30 teams in the league, you'll recognize this same exact story can be told for most teams. Chicago has never signed a marquee free agent and they are the 3rd largest market. Now if you want to claim the marquee free agent story is all about "getting to talk" to the marquee free agent, well we were one of 5 teams to talk to Dwight last year (LA, Mavs, Houston, GS, ATL). So it isn't as if we are completely overlooked.

Let's not go all chicken-little on this right now. We've still got time to build a team, and with the way the new CBA is there are new ways to build a team. If I want to be all narrow-minded then I'll point out that the 3 teams that have won with the new CBA in effect all did it demonstrably different ways. The Mavs made their moves through trades to acquire all their big names. The Heat made their big moves through free agency to get their big names. And the Spurs acquired their big names through the draft. Further, it could be argued through Win Shares that the Spurs did not have a single top 20 player in the NBA during their championship run. The Mavs had one player in the top 20. And the Heat had two top 20 players.

Good post.  There is a misconception about whom signs these top tier guys.  I guess deep down what I really want is a little validation.  I like what DF/Bud are doing.  I just hoped maybe these top guys would tip their hats a bit and acknowledge the changes around here.   If the top guys sat down with us it at least it would make me think the NBA as a whole is on board.  No chicken little, but even the prettiest likes to be flirted with from time to time.  

Maybe the days of the expensive free agents winning championships are over.  San Antonio may have cracked the code and we may have to change our way of thinking!  We shall see.