• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta not a Free Agent destination?

frankthetank966

I've been pretty quite this off-season just following posts. I must say, Atlanta Hawks fans are always full of excuses. First off, the city of Atlanta is not the problem.  The reason marquee free agents aren't landing in Atlanta is A) because Ferry refuses to overpay, which can be smart in some circumstances or B) they had no interest in joining Atlanta in the first place. 

Atlanta has been able to land big stars through free agency in baseball and football. The Braves are always on the wish list for players. The Falcons are capable and have signed top tier talent. The Hawks are no different. It's not that players are choosing not to come here because they don't like the city, it's because of my two points above. 

I firmly believe, Ferry is too smart sometimes that he refuses to extend max offers to players that are not in his long-term plans. Additionally, the only superstars the Hawks have "lost" through free agency since DF took over have been Howard, Paul, LeBron, Melo, and possibly Gasol. 

Howard, went to Houston since he wanted to play with Harden

Paul, stayed in LA since they brought in Doc Rivers

Melo, stayed in NY

LeBron, returned to Cleveland

I'm not sure what happened with Gasol, but sometimes players chose to play for franchises that have loyal fans and pack the arena. No offense guys, Philips is only sold out a few times a year even when the Hawks are playing very well. 

So again, tell me how Atlanta is not a destination for free agents? The best free agent signing last year Paul Milsap, came to Atlanta. Additionally, Atlanta just swopped Ken Bazemore who many think will be the steal of the off-season. 

Edited by frankthetank966

I've been pretty quite this off-season just following posts. I must say, Atlanta Hawks fans are always full of excuses. First off, the city of Atlanta is not the problem.  The reason marquee free agents aren't landing in Atlanta is A) because Ferry refuses to overpay, which can be smart in some circumstances or B) they had no interest in joining Atlanta in the first place. 

Atlanta has been able to land big stars through free agency in baseball and football. The Braves are always on the wish list for players. The Falcons are capable and have signed top tier talent. The Hawks are no different. It's not that players are choosing not to come her because they don't like the city, it's because of my two points above. 

I firmly believe, Ferry is too smart sometimes that he refuses to extend max offers to players that are not in his long-term plans. Additionally, the only superstars the Hawks have "lost" through free agency since DF took over have been Howard, Paul, LeBron, Melo, and possibly Gasol. 

Howard, went to Houston since he wanted to play with Harden

Paul, stayed in LA since they brought in Doc Rivers

Melo, stayed in NY

LeBron, returned to Cleveland

I'm not sure what happened with Gasol, but sometimes players chose to play for franchises that have loyal fans and pack the arena. No offense guys, Philips is only sold out a few times a year even when the Hawks are playing very well. 

So again, tell me how Atlanta is not a destination for free agents? The best free agent signing last year Paul Milsap, came to Atlanta. Additionally, Atlanta just swopped Ken Bazemore who many think will be the steal of the off-season. 

Bahhhhhh. False. Try again. Documented that Ferry offered MORE than these guys are taking elsewhere. 

And my God I am THANKFUL we aren't OVERPAYING these guys. NONE of the ones we talked to are difference makers. 

Hate on Ferry all you want but the perception of the Hawks and the city of Atlanta is the problem. Nobody has wanted to play in Atlanta since Dikembe signed here in 1996 and somehow that's Ferry's fault. 

mmmkay.jpg

• Like 2

That's the last time Atlanta WAS a destination for free agents.  History speaks for itself. Not some fabrication on a messageboard of what people think is the case.

On the overpaying stuff. I agree about not doing it, but if Parsons and Hayward are getting 15 per year, won't most RFA from here on out get that? Same thing with the 10ish million for decent wings.

Is that not just the market price now? Or will it go back down? I'd think with the ever increasing salary cap, prices are just going to get higher and higher

Is 15 the new 12? And 12 the new 10?

The way Dennis Scott tells it (heard him on radio a while back) - NBA players love the city of Atlanta as their playground but don't wanna live and work where they play.

I'm not sure who's to blame if that's the sentiment.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

On the overpaying stuff. I agree about not doing it, but if Parsons and Hayward are getting 15 per year, won't most RFA from here on out get that? Same thing with the 10ish million for decent wings.

Is that not just the market price now? Or will it go back down? I'd think with the ever increasing salary cap, prices are just going to get higher and higher

Is 15 the new 12? And 12 the new 10?

At the start of last season - Haywood was asking for 4yrs/$53 mil, by allowing him to hit the market they ended paying $10 million more. Smh.

The way Dennis Scott tells it (heard him on radio a while back) - NBA players love the city of Atlanta as their playground but don't wanna live and work where they play.

Pssht. I'm sure there are plenty of people here that leave their family and play in the city all the time.... Im sure someone can show then the ropes of hiding the scent lol

Edited by Afro

@Dolfan23 you're so mean.  But you're right.  This issue has been around since before Ferry got here (not that he's helping but I digresss ...)

I think the ASG exacerbated the problem too.  The BK non-handshake was hilarious but it was also probably a seminal moment that resonates in NBA circles.

I have a theory to toss out regarding overpaying.  So, the Braves (for example) have lined up their guys with big deals based on the promise of increased revenue (stadium, re-negotiated TV deal) not necessarily based on the dollars & sense as of today.

With the new NBA TV deal coming up in 2017, the salary cap is likely to explode thereby making the deals being signed now not as punitive as they seem.  If that's the case, should we go ahead and overpay for a guy like Parsons (just an example) with a thinking similar to the Braves (i.e. betting on the come).  That way we can 'overpay' to build the talent level on the team but understand that we're probably not as hamstrung as it may seem (assuming the salary cap will increase more significantly than normal after 2016)?

Just a hair-brained theory.  Have at it.

At the start of last season - Haywood was asking for 4yrs/$53 mil, by allowing him to hit the market they ended paying $10 million more. Smh.

The dumbest part is that he had a bad season on top of it. How do you play worse, get exposed and have your value go up?

is that still the case post gold club?  a lot of retirees live here, I'd think that players with families would like it.

is that still the case post gold club? a lot of retirees live here, I'd think that players with families would like it.

He said it earlier this year - I guess he would know.

This and this. Didn't the Gold Club trial teach us anything? Here, pro athletes can go to the club, 'entertain' the ladies, and not have to worry about their mug being on TMZ unless they do something stupid. There's a reason why Dwight Howard really wanted nothing to do with coming back home (allegedly).

But being that this is the case, wouldn't it be of the utmost importance to get the draft right? Thirty years, one All-Star player selected. The evidence is clear; the prosecution rests...

• Like 1

@Dolfan23 you're so mean.  But you're right.  This issue has been around since before Ferry got here (not that he's helping but I digresss ...)

I think the ASG exacerbated the problem too.  The BK non-handshake was hilarious but it was also probably a seminal moment that resonates in NBA circles.

I have a theory to toss out regarding overpaying.  So, the Braves (for example) have lined up their guys with big deals based on the promise of increased revenue (stadium, re-negotiated TV deal) not necessarily based on the dollars & sense as of today.

With the new NBA TV deal coming up in 2017, the salary cap is likely to explode thereby making the deals being signed now not as punitive as they seem.  If that's the case, should we go ahead and overpay for a guy like Parsons (just an example) with a thinking similar to the Braves (i.e. betting on the come).  That way we can 'overpay' to build the talent level on the team but understand that we're probably not as hamstrung as it may seem (assuming the salary cap will increase more significantly than normal after 2016)?

Just a hair-brained theory.  Have at it.

Hey everyone knows that I'm a d*ck! Just tired of hearing Ferry get blamed here for something that's been going on since he was a young guy playing in the league. 

I do agree the ASG might play a role in this but let's not forget they're more than happy to overpay players. So that excuse of us not willing to pay doesn't fly with me considering their history of overpaying. 

This and this. Didn't the Gold Club trial teach us anything? Here, pro athletes can go to the club, 'entertain' the ladies, and not have to worry about their mug being on TMZ unless they do something stupid. There's a reason why Dwight Howard really wanted nothing to do with coming back home (allegedly).

But being that this is the case, wouldn't it be of the utmost importance to get the draft right? Thirty years, one All-Star player selected. The evidence is clear; the prosecution rests...

Exactly why the old GM's are gone.  Jury is still out on Ferry but he seems to have found some pretty good players while drafting outside of the lottery.  Jenkins might be a miss but Scott was a hit.  Too early to say on the rest of the players but Schröder, Muscala, Patterson and Tavares are all pretty talented players with promise. 

Drafting right is only a part of the solution, player development of said draftee so they want to stay, getting and developing the free agents who do come here and giving them a chance to succeed is also important.

Bahhhhhh. False. Try again. Documented that Ferry offered MORE than these guys are taking elsewhere. 

And my God I am THANKFUL we aren't OVERPAYING these guys. NONE of the ones we talked to are difference makers. 

Hate on Ferry all you want but the perception of the Hawks and the city of Atlanta is the problem. Nobody has wanted to play in Atlanta since Dikembe signed here in 1996 and somehow that's Ferry's fault. 

mmmkay.jpg

I'm not blaming Ferry for his inability to land players. In fact, I agree with him and said he is being smart by not overpaying in some circumstances. I'm not sure what happened with Gasol, but I would've thrown a few more dollars in his direction. 

I truly think the owners are at fault. The think they "know it all."

Last season, the Hawks had a chance to become a serious contender for the Eastern Conference Finals. Instead, they stood pat at the trade deadline and did not go after a starting center. Why? Probably because the owners did not want to exceed the cap. I think DF does a good job with his limited budget. But for what it's worth, he has no flexibility in exceeding that budget. If the owners were serious about building a team, they would've tried to make a run at the playoffs last season.

Chris Bosh just turned down potential rings to return to Miami because he doesn't want to be around his family and baby mama drama in TX.  Its not the fans, we LOVE stars like Michael Vick but cities like Miami and LA have better scenery and cities like NY, Chicago and TX get better TV coverage.  Even when Miami was in the finals the fans still left early and now even the LA Lakers can't sell out a home game.  Its not Atlanta, its LA, Chicago, Miami (not really anymore), NY, etc.  Even Kevin Durant might leave OKC for Washington.  Small markets or mid markets like ours have troubles getting "STARS".  In Toronto, you'd think all of the stars would want to go there, its PACKED and the Toronto Raptors have NO STARS on their team.

Edited by red2play

End of the day is about two things, that many Hawks fans don't seem to get

1) Money

2) Ability to win a title

It's as simple as that, people Cleveland is not a destination city by any means, but yet Lebron goes there and all of a sudden Kevin Love is open to it b/c of point 2. The NBA unlike many other sports is a star driven league, the silver lining is the Spurs continuously prove that a deep, well coach team with past their prime players can still win a title. The Hawks are building depth, still need more talent on the wings though, but who knows a healthy Hawks team may just surprise people next season..

Danny Ferry has always said he will build the team the right way, and not mortgage the future.

• Like 3