• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta not a Free Agent destination?

frankthetank966

• Premium Member

People make this way more complicated than it is.  

The game starts at the star level, with the star players, and the teams that have them.  When the offseason comes, the best players are looking at these teams.  We are simply left sifting through what's left over with the choice to overpay for decent talent, gamble on unproven talent, or scratch around in the bargain bin for guys that can "help" us.  

Also, I do not buy this bullshit about nightlife, etc.  Pudding is readily available 24x7, all over the world.  Not just Atlanta.

• Like 4

I'm not blaming Ferry for his inability to land players. In fact, I agree with him and said he is being smart by not overpaying in some circumstances. I'm not sure what happened with Gasol, but I would've thrown a few more dollars in his direction.

I truly think the owners are at fault. The think they "know it all."

Last season, the Hawks had a chance to become a serious contender for the Eastern Conference Finals. Instead, they stood pat at the trade deadline and did not go after a starting center. Why? Probably because the owners did not want to exceed the cap. I think DF does a good job with his limited budget. But for what it's worth, he has no flexibility in exceeding that budget. If the owners were serious about building a team, they would've tried to make a run at the playoffs last season.

How do you know Ferry cannot exceed the budget? Unless you know for sure that's an awfully big opinion to throw out there as if it's a fact.

I am nearly certain Ferry has said he's been given the green light to spend as much as he wants but that he wants to stay below the luxury tax.

As to why we didn't make a move at the trade deadline I would assume there are many reasons for that.

End of the day is about two things, that many Hawks fans don't seem to get

1) Money

2) Ability to win a title

It's as simple as that, people Cleveland is not a destination city by any means, but yet Lebron goes there and all of a sudden Kevin Love is open to it b/c of point 2. The NBA unlike many other sports is a star driven league, the silver lining is the Spurs continuously prove that a deep, well coach team with past their prime players can still win a title. The Hawks are building depth, still need more talent on the wings though, but who knows a healthy Hawks team may just surprise people next season..

Danny Ferry has always said he will build the team the right way, and not mortgage the future.

Without sifting through the dribbel in this thread.  I will just say this poster gets it.  Ferry is maintaining cap flexibility to ensure he has the $$$ once we are seen as a potential title destination.

Another year of overachieving under and the league taking note of Coach Bud, and we will be closer to getting a marquee FA.  Ferry is playing the long game and banking on Bud to be a great coach (which we think he is) who will get the most out of what we have and help lure players here eventually.

I have no gripe about this offseason.  Could have gotten a little luckier, but I'm okay with us not getting a "sexy" signing as long as we keep getting guys on bargain contracts--Thabo and Bazemore both qualify.

• Like 1

• Moderators

The Catch 22 of Atlanta sports... Stars don't want to play for our apathetic fan base and fans don't show up to games due to no stars to root for. We need one yo get the other and if the Hawks are to survive in Atlanta, one of the parties has to give. Easier to sign a star than it is to convince 20,000 people to pay on average $50 per ticket to root for a team with no drama. Do you know how well the Knicks' clusterf*** roster would sell in Atlanta? Ten fold than what does now.

Also, I really hope Koonin strikes a deal to start telecasting Hawks games nationally on TBS. Only about 15 games to start or make it a weekly thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course not. That's not new. I think the Sap signing fooled some posters. I been on record for saying, he didn't have anyone giving him an offer. It was Atlanta. Atlanta just needed to add talented and pieces that could play in the system. Honestly, the Sap signing was a good signing but there is a reason why no one wanted him. Undersized PF and he didn't have the range he had this year. Him extending his range should make his trade value higher. Bud did a good job improving him and Al's range in 2013-14 season.

The way Dennis Scott tells it (heard him on radio a while back) - NBA players love the city of Atlanta as their playground but don't wanna live and work where they play.

I'm not sure who's to blame if that's the sentiment.

When Jamal was traded here he mentioned being closer to his son as a plus but besides him TI and Tiny I don't think many players are interested in the Brady Bunch angle as in having multiple children from multiple women and men underneath one roof. Atlanta traffic may be a great obstacle but not more so than a couple time zones and a plane ticket.

To me I figured it like this. NBA player meets stripper/groupie in NY, LA, Vegas, ATL, South Beach, etc. Player knocks up said stripper/groupie but wishes nothing to do with said person as unfortunately their love at first sight didn't last. Said stripper/groupie still gets child support though but let's just estimate that said child support is something like 300K a year on average. 300K won't even purchase you a one bedroom condo in NY, LA, South Beach, etc. alone in addition to affording said stripper/groupie the baller lifestyle that they think they've lucked into by getting knocked up by a NBA player. So said stripper/groupies converge en masse upon Atlanta where they can easily afford both a mansion and enjoy a baller lifestyle with all the savings. NBA player enjoys coming and going as they please but not the idea of their past transgressions being able to come and go as they please.

This is my "boxed in by the box" theory.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I blame the A$G. They have poisoned the waters in Atlanta and it wasn't until Ferry's hire that they officially gave up meddling with the team and let the GM have actual power. He needs more "wow look at that plucky Hawks team" performances in the playoffs to really move the needle.

I blame the A$G. They have poisoned the waters in Atlanta and it wasn't until Ferry's hire that they officially gave up meddling with the team and let the GM have actual power. He needs more "wow look at that plucky Hawks team" performances in the playoffs to really move the needle.

I blame the whole lot of them, including BK, WLOC Sund, all of them. Thanks to them, this team has the stink of death on them like Poindexter does when he goes to the bar. The hot women (or in this case, hot free agents) only talk to them for the free drinks and ego-boost, only to run tail to the hot guys they really wanted at the end of the night. They only become interested in Poindexter...err... the Hawks after they have spent their best years somewhere else (see Brand, McGrady, et al) and too worn down to have much of an impact. The only other options they have are showering a 7.5 with gifts and stuff (see Johnson, Joseph) or hoping that some ugly duckling they latch onto (because few others want them) turn into a swan.

I know, off the deep end of the pool but what can I say? Old Patron is mighty strong...

• Like 1

We need to start winning and keep winning. start booing these so called players that are turning us down.

7 straight playoff appearances isn't winning?

What more can we do? Consistently stay in the ECF game? We need more talent for that

• Like 2

• Premium Member

7 straight playoff appearances isn't winning?

What more can we do? Consistently stay in the ECF game? We need more talent for that

Yeah, it's such circular reasoning. Obviously, impact vets are gonna sign with contenders, but something else has to keeping the mid-tier guys away.

This and this. Didn't the Gold Club trial teach us anything? Here, pro athletes can go to the club, 'entertain' the ladies, and not have to worry about their mug being on TMZ unless they do something stupid. There's a reason why Dwight Howard really wanted nothing to do with coming back home (allegedly).

But being that this is the case, wouldn't it be of the utmost importance to get the draft right? Thirty years, one All-Star player selected. The evidence is clear; the prosecution rests...

Hey everyone knows that I'm a d*ck! Just tired of hearing Ferry get blamed here for something that's been going on since he was a young guy playing in the league.

I do agree the ASG might play a role in this but let's not forget they're more than happy to overpay players. So that excuse of us not willing to pay doesn't fly with me considering their history of overpaying.

Ferry chose the free agent route and so he does deserve to get blamed. It also shows that he isn't much of a recruiter. Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

Ferry chose the free agent route and so he does deserve to get blamed. It also shows that he isn't much of a recruiter.

Disagree.  Ferry is trying the every option route.  Free agency isn't over either and we still have trade options. 

As to his ability as a recruiter, who knows. But I don't see us losing out on guys who were honestly interested in playing for us. 

• Like 1

I wasnt very high on this FA class besides LeBron and Lance. So glad Deng or Pau didn't choose us, I think Ferry wouldve overpaid for Monroe if he really wanted him. Lance and Bledsoe are the only ways to upgrade our talent level now. I guess I have to settle for developing the kids and looking forward to FA 2015.

Aldridge might as well re-sign now, Love wants LA or LeBron, and Marc is either staying or getting a King's Ransom from LA. The only pieces available to us that I wouldnt mind might be Dellavadova (likely to break out playing with LeBron and end up staying) and probably Vucevic. Great.

Edited by benhillboy

I've said it a few times before, but there's a difference in being a winner and what the Hawks have done. We've made the playoffs twice with a sub-.500 record, we've lost the 1st round 4 times, we've been utterly dismantled in the 2nd round 2 times (after two of the least impressive round 1 wins in NBA history), and the height of our success was a mostly terrible series against Chicago (all four losses by double digits, 20 in the clincher @ home). All while being in the vastly inferior conference and only managing to win 50 games once. That's our resume of "winning."

Ditto. Cosign. Agree. This.

A resume like that isn't what the rest of the basketball world would call winning. If that wasn't the case, why would Ferry call himself 'changing the culture' of the franchise?

What they've done over the last seven years don't move the meter AT ALL with local sports fans who are a quarter-century removed from the last time the Hawks were taken seriously as a franchise. It certainly doesn't on a national scale, which explains why soooooo many of their big games are shown on NBA-TV...

• Like 1

So again, tell me how Atlanta is not a destination for free agents? The best free agent signing last year Paul Milsap, came to Atlanta. Additionally, Atlanta just swopped Ken Bazemore who many think will be the steal of the off-season. 

Ken Bazemore? Did you literally just try to back up that Atlanta is a free agent destination with Ken Bazemore? You serious, or is this awesome sarcasm? Just because some bench cheerleader signed for 2 mil here, we are a destination? Next up, Durant?