Let's talk about Horford at PF (Only)

JTB

Wanted your point of views of horford at power forward.

-Not talking about sap.

-Not talking about Monroe.

-Not talking about any center to pair with him.

Just want your thoughts of what horford may be as a full time power forward in the nba?

I will go first....

I think horford as a full time "4" will be the same if not a better scorer at the pf position. I honestly think his offense game around the goal would increase dramatically and he will be a more all around scorer. However though I believe horford is a good defender from what I've seen in the past I'm not too sure I know what's coming on the defense end at the 4! Yes horford is a mobile big but that's at center. "4s" in today's nba seem to be better scorers with the ability to stretch the floor. Can horford chase these quicker 4's?....let's be honest there aren't many scoring centers in the nba so has our best player really been tested on a nightly basis vs scoring bigs?.....nonetheless looking at our situation I would be willing to find out.

Unless Horford develops some offensive moves I dont expect him to be any better of a scorer at the 4. He has zero offensive moves where he can take advantage of similar size/ smaller defenders and PFs are more use to guarding the perimeter than Centers so he will find himself less open.

The main benefits of moving horford at the 4 and getting a center is rebounding, better interior defense, and toughness which has been our weakness the past couple of years in the playoffs.

Edited by yungsta
  • Like 1

Honestly, I think he'd be the same or a bit less offensively. As a center, he has a speed advantage but for some reason, he doesn't really use it. I think defensively he may hold up better at PF but that's really about it. 

PS... FINALLY made 200 posts! peanut-butter-jelly-time.gif

Edited by Mdizzle5
  • Like 3

Wanted your point of views of horford at power forward.

-Not talking about sap.

-Not talking about Monroe.

-Not talking about any center to pair with him.

Just want your thoughts of what horford may be as a full time power forward in the nba?

I will go first....

I think horford as a full time "4" will be the same if not a better scorer at the pf position. I honestly think his offense game around the goal would increase dramatically and he will be a more all around scorer. However though I believe horford is a good defender from what I've seen in the past I'm not too sure I know what's coming on the defense end at the 4! Yes horford is a mobile big but that's at center. "4s" in today's nba seem to be better scorers with the ability to stretch the floor. Can horford chase these quicker 4's?....let's be honest there aren't many scoring centers in the nba so has our best player really been tested on a nightly basis vs scoring bigs?.....nonetheless looking at our situation I would be willing to find out.

The one thing about basketball, you need help for your team to be successful. In Horf's case, I don't think it matters if he's playing "4 or 5"... The kicker is Jeff Teague. Pick and roll, pick and pop... Horf can shoot, finish at the rim... But he needs someone to put action in motion. He's not a guy with 18 seconds left on the clock, just give him the ball....

The one thing about basketball, you need help for your team to be successful. In Horf's case, I don't think it matters if he's playing "4 or 5"... The kicker is Jeff Teague. Pick and roll, pick and pop... Horf can shoot, finish at the rim... But he needs someone to put action in motion. He's not a guy with 18 seconds left on the clock, just give him the ball....

Damn...good post!

I didn't think about that!

Unless you count the jab jab jab step,lol... I kid of course but did anyone notice he wasn't doing it as much as the season went on (before injury). He actually was making quicker moves to the basket instead of jab-stepping.

You do make a good point about him needing someone to initiate the action.

As @nbasuperstar40retired would say - Almis a movement player.

• Moderators

Honestly I think Al would be good at either the 4 or 5 because he's just a damn winner.   But for the sake of argument.  

1) is that jab step or his other moves going to get him around a PF in this league? and

2) if he can then there will be a big center at the basket waiting on him.  

3) will he be as open for 12 footers when the guy guarding him isn't responsible for protecting the rim

horfordnoahstepbig.gif

• Like 1

• Premium Member

But he needs someone to put action in motion. He's not a guy with 18 seconds left on the clock, just give him the ball....

Who plays team basketball like this anymore and wins?  So who cares whether you have a ball hog or not on your team.  Having someone who thinks that he can score that way would be a detriment to you team anyway so why are we concern about having that kind of player on your team?  Horford is fine just the way he is.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Honestly I think Al would be good at either the 4 or 5 because he's just a damn winner.   But for the sake of argument.  

1) is that jab step or his other moves going to get him around a PF in this league? and

2) if he can then there will be a big center at the basket waiting on him.  

3) will he be as open for 12 footers when the guy guarding him isn't responsible for protecting the rim

horfordnoahstepbig.gif

That is a beautiful move!

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think Horford would be worse offensively since he has never shown much of a post game and he would not enjoy the mobility advantage he does at C. Defensively, he would not be physically outmatched by anyone (unlike a few guys at center against whom he struggles).

2013-14

PF .516 efg%

C .576 efg%

2012-13

PF .538 efg%

C .548 efg%

2010-11

PF .542 efg%

C .568 efg%

(In 2011-12, Horford played 0% of the minutes at PF which is why I omitted.)

What's the % breakdown at each position.

I think Horford would be worse offensively since he has never shown much of a post game and he would not enjoy the mobility advantage he does at C. Defensively, he would not be physically outmatched by anyone (unlike a few guys at center against whom he struggles).

The physicality drops from C to PF but the skill increases. What you save in having a Dwight dropping his shoulder into your solar plexus on the block you have to now use on preventing an Aldridge from shaking n baking you for the full 20 feet to the basket.
  • Like 1

• Moderators

The physicality drops from C to PF but the skill increases. What you save in having a Dwight dropping his shoulder into your solar plexus on the block you have to now use on preventing an Aldridge from shaking n baking you for the full 20 feet to the basket.

Agreed but Horford has been very successful in periodically checking even guards. No one can simply shut down the greatest offensive players but Horford is as about well suited to match up with PFs defensively as anyone.

Who plays team basketball like this anymore and wins?  So who cares whether you have a ball hog or not on your team.  Having someone who thinks that he can score that way would be a detriment to you team anyway so why are we concern about having that kind of player on your team?  Horford is fine just the way he is.

Horford is not not a ball hog dude. Have you watched him? Letting him isolate is not gonna work... He needs picks, or screens, ball movement, unselfish play...

• Moderators

Horford is not not a ball hog dude. Have you watched him? Letting him isolate is not gonna work... He needs picks, or screens, ball movement, unselfish play...

He isn't calling him a ball hog. To the contrary, he is supporting Horford by stating that Horford's inability to run the offense through him ala Lebron, Durant, and at times Duncan, Parker and Manu is not a problem because system ball means that there is no need for that type of scoring. Personally, I think it lessens the need but doesn't 't eliminate it. Think Duncan taking over to eliminate OKC last year.

• Premium Member

I know that hello!  That is why I like him just the way he is.  It was insinuated in your post that we need someone we could give the ball to with 18 seconds to go on the shot clock to create some offense which is totally false.  Horford is perfect for this team just the way he is!

I know that hello!  That is why I like him just the way he is.  It was insinuated in your post that we need someone we could give the ball to with 18 seconds to go on the shot clock to create some offense which is totally false.  Horford is perfect for this team just the way he is!

Okay, I'm not wanting to offend you or AHF... I'll go back and read again.