• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mayor Reed Press Conference Today About Hawks

Bahamut

• Moderators

Geez.  I'm telling you nothing could be worse for the Hawks than Kasim being involved in this.   New owners are welcome but they need to continue the good work that Ferry started two years ago.   My fear is we'll end up with the same Atlanta group plus 5 more guys with not enough money and Gearon will continue to be an albatross on this franchise.

• Like 2

Geez.  I'm telling you nothing could be worse for the Hawks than Kasim being involved in this.   New owners are welcome but they need to continue the good work that Ferry started two years ago.   My fear is we'll end up with the same Atlanta group plus 5 more guys with not enough money and Gearon will continue to be an albatross on this franchise.

I disagree.  This is about more than the Hawks.  Major changes to the city and affected communities could be on the line here.  The mayor should definitely be involved.  Kevin Johnson was involved.  Government officials were involved with the Braves move.  This is like Delta or Coke.  It is important that the mayor be intimate with the situation.  Now if you don't like Reed then thats another thing.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

I disagree.  This is about more than the Hawks.  Major changes to the city and affected communities could be on the line here.  The mayor should definitely be involved.  Kevin Johnson was involved.  Government officials were involved with the Braves move.  This is like Delta or Coke.  It is important that the mayor be intimate with the situation.  Now if you don't like Reed then thats another thing.  

Yeah.  I don't like Reed.   HIs office was involved with the Braves move.   That's exactly my point.   They F'd that up horribly.  He was involved intimately with the Falcons stadium and he gave $300 million to one of the most successful, government subsidized monopoly businesses in the country.   Meanwhile they are turning the water off at homeless shelters and taking their own public school system to court to try to get out of paying money from the beltline agreement that they created.   I can't point to any significant accomplishment in his time in office and this is a guy I voted for.   I usually don't turn on people I supported but his record is awful and frankly he's a pompous ass who talks down to everyone.

• Like 2

Yeah. I don't like Reed. HIs office was involved with the Braves move. That's exactly my point. They F'd that up horribly. He was involved intimately with the Falcons stadium and he gave $300 million to one of the most successful, government subsidized monopoly businesses in the country. Meanwhile they are turning the water off at homeless shelters and taking their own public school system to court to try to get out of paying money from the beltline agreement that they created. I can't point to any significant accomplishment in his time in office and this is a guy I voted for. I usually don't turn on people I supported but his record is awful and frankly he's a pompous ass who talks down to everyone.

The baseball team left before the agreed upon negotiation deadline. Remember that the city and state were already working on one stadium deal, and state wasn't even involved on the baseball side. The baseball team was only staying if they had total control over Summerhill, including being able to both select and be a bidder on Turner Field area construction. That's bith unethical and a conflict of interest, thd city refused those terms, and the baseball team got their feelings hurt and took free money to move to the burbs. Anyone on the inside knows how arrogant and suburb-focused the baseball team is, but it's convenient to blame the city if you don't know the facts. Everything I've posted here is public record and has been reported since November.

• Moderators

The baseball team left before the agreed upon negotiation deadline. Remember that the city and state were already working on one stadium deal, and state wasn't even involved on the baseball side. The baseball team was only staying if they had total control over Summerhill, including being able to both select and be a bidder on Turner Field area construction. That's bith unethical and a conflict of interest, thd city refused those terms, and the baseball team got their feelings hurt and took free money to move to the burbs. Anyone on the inside knows how arrogant and suburb-focused the baseball team is, but it's convenient to blame the city if you don't know the facts. Everything I've posted here is public record and has been reported since November.

Oh don't even get me started.   No doubt I blame the Braves first and foremost.  They didn't negotiate in good faith and at the end of the day there was probably nothing Kasim could do.   But it doesn't change the fact that the Braves had no will to stay and no faith in the city to work with them.    A good leader doesn't get blindsided like this no matter how shady the other side is.   And then when it was all said and done Kasim blamed everyone but himself in true Kasim fashion.   If he had no other issues I'd say yeah the Braves are assholes and the blame is totally on them, but after these years with the mayor I"d say it's probably 70/30 if we're assigning blame.

Not trying to make this a political thread.   I'll stop but obviously I haven't recovered from the Braves thing and when I see him touching the Hawks I get nervous.   I guess the best case is the city dumps money on the Hawks in some way which would be bs for my taxes but at least maybe it will help the team and keep them here.

Oh don't even get me started. No doubt I blame the Braves first and foremost. They didn't negotiate in good faith and at the end of the day there was probably nothing Kasim could do. But it doesn't change the fact that the Braves had no will to stay and no faith in the city to work with them. A good leader doesn't get blindsided like this no matter how shady the other side is. And then when it was all said and done Kasim blamed everyone but himself in true Kasim fashion. If he had no other issues I'd say yeah the Braves are assholes and the blame is totally on them, but after these years with the mayor I"d say it's probably 70/30 if we're assigning blame.

Not trying to make this a political thread. I'll stop but obviously I haven't recovered from the Braves thing and when I see him touching the Hawks I get nervous. I guess the best case is the city dumps money on the Hawks in some way which would be bs for my taxes but at least maybe it will help the team and keep them here.

Agreed; solid post.

Oh don't even get me started.   No doubt I blame the Braves first and foremost.  They didn't negotiate in good faith and at the end of the day there was probably nothing Kasim could do.   But it doesn't change the fact that the Braves had no will to stay and no faith in the city to work with them.    A good leader doesn't get blindsided like this no matter how shady the other side is.   And then when it was all said and done Kasim blamed everyone but himself in true Kasim fashion.   If he had no other issues I'd say yeah the Braves are assholes and the blame is totally on them, but after these years with the mayor I"d say it's probably 70/30 if we're assigning blame.

Not trying to make this a political thread.   I'll stop but obviously I haven't recovered from the Braves thing and when I see him touching the Hawks I get nervous.   I guess the best case is the city dumps money on the Hawks in some way which would be bs for my taxes but at least maybe it will help the team and keep them here.

I sorta work with this stuff and can tell you the City knew they were about to be thrown under a very large PR bus. The Braves timed it just after the Falcons announcement for a reason. The City also has plans for downtown that will make the Braves regret leaving. In town living is going to be the way to go in 15 years with all the projects on the books. Kasim's biggest problem is his temper, if he could ever control it, he'd be okay.

• Like 1

There's about 5 years or so of projects on the books already. A ton of retail and residential that everyone knows about. Turner Field is going to go to GSU. Turner Field itself becomes their football stadium. Atlanta Fulton County is resurrected as their baseball field with parks and student housing around it. Publicly available mixed use will be in what is now the Gold and Orange lots.

The Beltline everyone knows about, but take a look at a map of it, then look at a map of new developments on Curbed and tell me what you see.

Also the Streetcar will have a total of 6 legs that will link tons of the city.

Then there's the MultiModal Passenger Transport Station, which will sit directly across from the ATLANTA entrance to Phillips that is going to be an amazing game changer. It's going to link downtown to the West Side far more cohesively. As well as GSU to Tech in some ways.

http://www.dot.ga.gov/doingbusiness/p3/projects/mmpt/Pages/default.aspx

http://beltline.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/SES-Final-Report-022514.pdf

C-Viv is saying Reed wants a new owner by the end of the year.... Why so long?  How long did it take with Streling. I thought that was a matter of weeks. 

As for the Mayor and the Braves, well I think the Braves were never really wanting to stay, and I think they will end up regretting their move for a long time.  Traffic on the way to games will kill them. 

• Like 2

C-Viv is saying Reed wants a new owner by the end of the year.... Why so long? How long did it take with Streling. I thought that was a matter of weeks. More moving parts. When has anything involving the ASG ever been simple.

As for the Mayor and the Braves, well I think the Braves were never really wanting to stay, and I think they will end up regretting their move for a long time. Traffic on the way to games will kill them.

The difference is The NBA took over control of the Clippers so they could expedite it. Levenson still controls his ownership stake. Edited by JayBirdHawk

There's about 5 years or so of projects on the books already. A ton of retail and residential that everyone knows about. Turner Field is going to go to GSU. Turner Field itself becomes their football stadium. Atlanta Fulton County is resurrected as their baseball field with parks and student housing around it. Publicly available mixed use will be in what is now the Gold and Orange lots.

The Beltline everyone knows about, but take a look at a map of it, then look at a map of new developments on Curbed and tell me what you see.

Also the Streetcar will have a total of 6 legs that will link tons of the city.

Then there's the MultiModal Passenger Transport Station, which will sit directly across from the ATLANTA entrance to Phillips that is going to be an amazing game changer. It's going to link downtown to the West Side far more cohesively. As well as GSU to Tech in some ways.

http://www.dot.ga.gov/doingbusiness/p3/projects/mmpt/Pages/default.aspx

http://beltline.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/SES-Final-Report-022514.pdf

Oh, I thought you had some inside info that hadn't already been reported: this is all public record. Reed said there was no political will for the MMPT, although it was still in the environmental study stage and slated for a ~2018 opening. Are you saying the MMPT will happen on time after all? It will definitely benefit Philips Arena, and Centennial Olympic Park Drive is already two-way while Spring Street is repaired. The MMPT would transform South Downtown, so I'd love to see that project break ground.

Edited by Bahamut

Yup.

He is purposefully misleading the public too. He keeps comparing this situation to Sterling and how Sterling was suing the league and yet that did not stop the sale. Well, Sterling was voted out by the NBA Owners. Unanimously if I am not mistaken. There has been 0 vote on Levenson. Levenson controls the sale. Yet Reed keeps clamoring like he has a say in it. Outside of him throwing a subsidy at potential owners, he really has nothing.

I f***ing hate politics.

Totally agree when it comes to politics and government works at the speed of smell compared to the private sector.  Hope they don't muck this up.  The mayor is in bed with the local owners and that's not a good thing.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

Just as a clarification - it wasn't the NBA voting on Sterling (they never took the final vote on the sale) or the NBA taking control of the sale process that expidited the sale.  That would have been the next move had it not worked out.  What happened was that the team was owned by a trust and the trustee declared Sterling mentally incompetent (based on the opinions of two doctors) which meant that the trustee had total run of the team.  The trustee (his wife) sold the team while he was declared incompetent and the state court upheld the trustee's declaration of incompetence and authority to sell the team.

This is a totally different situation where Levenson and the other Washington owners are under no pressure to sell on anything but Levenson's own time table.  hawksfanatic is right that Reed has zero say in this process and is posturing to try to bolster his own importance.  When Reed wants the team sold means as much as Jack and #$*& and Jack left town.  

(Hail to the king)

• Like 1