• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Korver 4th best shooter in the NBA?

CrazyEye

Grantland makes an Article about the best shooters in the NBA where Korver finished fourth behind

1. Nowitzki

2. Curry

and Durant

Personally i think it is fair that they are ahead of him, and maybe i would ad Thompson in front of Korver too.

There argumentation (and also mine):

Therefore, our list favors guys who can generate unassisted field goals, which generally have a higher level of difficulty. So, although Korver led the league in 3-point efficiency last year and is probably the best spot-up shooter on earth, the fact that 95 percent of his made shots involved an assist means he — relative to the other guys at the top of the list — generally shot in favorable conditions.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-top-20-shooters-how-we-chose-them/

Freakish statsline that 95% of his made shots where assisted.

What do you think

• Moderators

Tough to say.  Best shooter doesn't mean the guy who is best at separating themselves from their opponents, crossing them up, etc.  It just means who shoots the ball the best.  Korver definitely isn't the best scorer but I have a hard time arguing against him as the best shooter.  I would like to see the numbers for Dirk, Curry, etc. when they are left alone versus Korver's in that same circumstance.  If they broke the numbers down by shot type, you could get some apples to apples comparisons going.  As a perimeter shooter, Korver set the 3pt record while Curry didn't despite taking almost 2.5 more 3pt attempts per game than Korver.  Is that because Curry takes so many more guarded shots or because Korver is more consistent when he does get a clean look.  Tough to parse without better data.

• Like 4

But the best shooter isn't necessary the best 3 pt shooter in my eyes, and Korver basically takes threes while all of the players above get constantly there chanches inside the arc ( and i would get for the best shooters in the NBA a midrange shot isn't the worst shot a team could get)

Edt: Also step back Jumper, shots of the dribble, one legged Pelicans etc. are parts of jump shooting and with shooting more shots usually the quality of the shots decreased too.

Edited by CrazyEye

I got Curry, Dirk, Kyle, and KD, in that order.

As I've said many times before, Steph has an honorable dribbling head fake approaching the three point line. We've never seen that before and never will again.

Dirk's mastery of his spinning off balance one legged turnaround is the icing on the cake to him having basically a flawless jump shooting game.

I've detailed my fandom of Kyle enough through the years, there are dozens of advanced stats concerning shooting, spacing, attention paid, off ball running, etc that he dominates like a boss.

KD brings up the rear. His shot selection is questionable and his misses are much more consitently farther off the mark than any of the others.

KD and Dirk have inherent advantages due to their length, but I can't penalize them because they both clearly work tirelessly on shooting, maybe a little less than Kyle over the years. Steph basically invented a new, quicker way to shoot due to his lack of size, so when you factor in his numbers of quantity and efficiency, shot charts, etc, ita pretty easy to see why most NBA circles would declare him the Alpha Dog. Most people who would attempt to shoot like he does would miss the rim entirely, while he all but rips the net down.

Tough to say.  Best shooter doesn't mean the guy who is best at separating themselves from their opponents, crossing them up, etc.  It just means who shoots the ball the best.  Korver definitely isn't the best scorer but I have a hard time arguing against him as the best shooter.  I would like to see the numbers for Dirk, Curry, etc. when they are left alone versus Korver's in that same circumstance.  If they broke the numbers down by shot type, you could get some apples to apples comparisons going.  As a perimeter shooter, Korver set the 3pt record while Curry didn't despite taking almost 2.5 more 3pt attempts per game than Korver.  Is that because Curry takes so many more guarded shots or because Korver is more consistent when he does get a clean look.  Tough to parse without better data.

Can't see the stats when they are left alone, but nba.com does provide player tracking stats on catch and shoot shots and pull up jumper shots

Catch and Shoot % on all jumpers

Korver - 51.1% . . ( 5.9 FGA )

Curry - 48.9% . . . ( 3.0 FGA )

Dirk - 47% . . . . . . ( 7.5 FGA )

Durant - 39.7% . . ( 4.8 FGA )

Catch and Shoot % on 3 pointers

Korver - 49.9% . . ( 4.8 FGA )

Curry - 48.2% . . . ( 2.5 FGA )

Dirk - 39.9% . . . . ( 3.7 FGA )

Durant - 38.2% . . ( 3.2 FGA )

Pull Up Shots on all jumpers

Dirk - 47.4% . . . . ( 5.0 FGA )

Curry - 43.7% . . . ( 10.3 FGA )

Durant - 42.8% . . ( 8.2 FGA )

Korver - 39.4% . . ( 2.0 FGA )

Pull Up Shots on 3 pointers

Durant - 41.1% . .  ( 2.7 FGA )

Curry - 39.5% . . . ( 5.2 FGA )

Korver - 38.5% . . ( 0.6 FGA )

Dirk - 36% . . . . . . ( 0.3 FGA )

Just by looking at this, I may have to change my mind and say that Curry is the most versatile shooter.

Can't see the stats when they are left alone, but nba.com does provide player tracking stats on catch and shoot shots and pull up jumper shots

Catch and Shoot % on all jumpers

Korver - 51.1% . . ( 5.9 FGA )

Curry - 48.9% . . . ( 3.0 FGA )

Dirk - 47% . . . . . . ( 7.5 FGA )

Durant - 39.7% . . ( 4.8 FGA )

Catch and Shoot % on 3 pointers

Korver - 49.9% . . ( 4.8 FGA )

Curry - 48.2% . . . ( 2.5 FGA )

Dirk - 39.9% . . . . ( 3.7 FGA )

Durant - 38.2% . . ( 3.2 FGA )

Pull Up Shots on all jumpers

Dirk - 47.4% . . . . ( 5.0 FGA )

Curry - 43.7% . . . ( 10.3 FGA )

Durant - 42.8% . . ( 8.2 FGA )

Korver - 39.4% . . ( 2.0 FGA )

Pull Up Shots on 3 pointers

Durant - 41.1% . . ( 2.7 FGA )

Curry - 39.5% . . . ( 5.2 FGA )

Korver - 38.5% . . ( 0.6 FGA )

Dirk - 36% . . . . . . ( 0.3 FGA )

Just by looking at this, I may have to change my mind and say that Curry is the most versatile shooter.

That's interesting. Indicates what we all know about Kyle - he's a catch and shoot specialty and darn good at it.

I do agree that Curry might be the most versatile.

Regarding Dirk - where does his post up numbers fit in the categories (or does he post enough)?

Edited by JayBirdHawk