Jason Heywood Traded

Won't be the Yankees, it will be the Cardinals this time.  

Justice didn't play for the Yankees until he was around 35 I think, that was after a run with the Indians. That's why I'm making the comparison. He'll probably never end up playing for the Yankees but I wouldn't hate it if he did. 

I'm happy about this. I love Jason and his defensive presence but we were stagnating with him as one of our main guys. Plus I'd take quality starting pitching over a bat any day. Also he was one of the Cards better pitchers. I trust Hart. Only question now is, who is our starting RF'der?

Oh that would be awesome! That would mean he will come to the Yankees at the end of his career and put up big numbers while helping us to back to back World Series appearances and 1 win.

This ain't the Yankee board...take your lucky a$$ 96 bs title and get outta here before a mod moves your post for not knowing where to post your stuff.

Braves get RHP Shelby Miller and RHP Tyrell Jenkins from the Cardinals in exchange for OF Jason Heyward and RHP Jordan Walden.

Did we trade Heywood only or was Heyward included in the deal?

- d*ck

Lol

I'm happy about this. I love Jason and his defensive presence but we were stagnating with him as one of our main guys. Plus I'd take quality starting pitching over a bat any day. Also he was one of the Cards better pitchers. I trust Hart. Only question now is, who is our starting RF'der?

Me no likey.  I understand it to a certain degree, but something just feels wrong about him being traded while the Uptons are still here (meaning they should be gone not him).

Why trust Hart, btw?  Isn't he in wait-n-see status?  Only part about this I trust is the Cardinals organization.  They don't strike me as the organization that's gonna get it wrong, whatever it is.

Plus this discussion led to some Yankee talk so nothing good has come of it.  Now I must rinse my mouth out with soap for using the Y-word.

I like this trade. Heyward was gone after this year regardless. Heyward still think he is a can't miss player even though his production is that of a 4th OF. Sure his defense is very good. He doesn't bring much else to the team.

Braves needed a starter. Miller is under control through 2019, I REPEAT 2019. He is only 24 years old himself. Has some valuable playoff experience.

Losing Walden will hurt us if Carpenter doesn't rebound. Need to look up info on Jenkins. Hopefully Roger can help him out.

After having suffered with a team who simply cannot score runs, but pitched pretty well, I will say that they are equally important for winning. You have to prevent teams from scoring as much as possible with pitching but you have to score runs with your bats as well. 

Looking at the Braves, it seems to me like y'all needed to be adding quality bats, not taking them away. 

For example, and yes I love to use the Y word with you guys who still haven't gotten over 1996, look at the Yankees rankings this year:

2014:

Offense: 20th in runs scored with 633 runs (Atlanta 29th - ouch)

Pitching: 18th in ERA @ 3.75 (Atlanta 5th - well done)

Record: 84-78

Now, in the Yankees last world series season, 2009, the numbers were very different:

Offense: 1st in runs scored with 915 runs

Pitching: 12th in ERA @ 4.26

Record: 103-59

After having suffered with a team who simply cannot score runs, but pitched pretty well, I will say that they are equally important for winning. You have to prevent teams from scoring as much as possible with pitching but you have to score runs with your bats as well.

Looking at the Braves, it seems to me like y'all needed to be adding quality bats, not taking them away.

For example, and yes I love to use the Y word with you guys who still haven't gotten over 1996, look at the Yankees rankings this year:

2014:

Offense: 20th in runs scored with 633 runs (Atlanta 29th - ouch)

Now, in the Yankees last world series season, 2009, the numbers were very different:

That was my thinking also - pitching was never the problem even though we lost starting pitchers at the beginning of the season - we couldn't score runs.

Damn, I'm gonna miss Heyward alot. Atleast we'll be adding $10+ million to our free agency budget. Shelby Miller is a nice pitcher and has the potential to be one of the top pitchers in the NL in the future. I also love that we have a 3-Headed Monster in Teheran, Miller, and Wood. All we need now is a quality bat and some help to our bench. 

2014:

Offense: 20th in runs scored with 633 runs (Atlanta 29th - ouch)

You poured salt on my wound. As a Braves fan I love all our players but Heyward wasn't delivering on the offensive end anyways, his batting average was low and he didn't have the power numbers that he should. I just think the Braves have always been more reliant on their pitching as an organization. Pairing Teheran with a young Shelby Miller is a good start. We will replace the bat of Jason Heyward, that I'm not worried about.

You poured salt on my wound. As a Braves fan I love all our players but Heyward wasn't delivering on the offensive end anyways, his batting average was low and he didn't have the power numbers that he should. I just think the Braves have always been more reliant on their pitching as an organization. Pairing Teheran with a young Shelby Miller is a good start. We will replace the bat of Jason Heyward, that I'm not worried about.

All the reliance on pitching has garnered them 1 Championship. You have to balance it and they haven't done that for the last few years. I keep hearing they need a big bat in the line up. She are still waiting. Edited by JayBirdHawk

I was gonna chime in and say the Barves need to fix their scoring problems more so than gather more arms but you got skraight served by @JayBirdHawk so I'll just go sit over here.

Well I will add that saying we "will" replace his bat is a little presumptuous.  On top of that we'll need to replace his glove.  I have visions of Gattis (who should also be traded IMHO) dancing around the outfield not catching flyballs.