• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jason Heywood Traded

• Moderators

• Moderators

I'm disappointed.   I do think this is Justice all over again except let's face it Justice was a premier hitter while with the Braves and Heyward is not.  Still with his glove that's tough to give up.   I hate what has happened to this team.   Remote owners, leaving the city, horrible free agent pick ups.   I think our run of excellence is more than over.  

• Like 1

All the reliance on pitching has garnered them 1 Championship. You have to balance it and they haven't done that for the last few years. I keep hearing they need a big bat in the line up. She are still waiting.

1 championship yes...but a CHANCE to get 5 or 6...some teams don't ever even get a chance. I'd rather be the bridesmaid than not get invited to the wedding. (And please no jokes for @JayBirdHawk @Dolfan23 @kg01 or anyone else about me being the bridesmaid)....

T- ball time....

Batter uppppp

:-/

1 championship yes...but a CHANCE to get 5 or 6...some teams don't ever even get a chance. I'd rather be the bridesmaid than not get invited to the wedding. (And please no jokes for @JayBirdHawk @Dolfan23 @kg01 or anyone else about me being the bridesmaid)....

T- ball time....

Batter uppppp

:-/

No prob, Bob.  Besides we all know you're the bride, never a bridesmaid.

Back on topic, Heyward's quote is kinda telling.  I'm sure he's not happy being the one shipped off especially considering the other warts on that team.

I trust Hart is all I'm saying. I think he's going to turn our roster into the mid 90's Indians...or at least head it in that direction. Guys like Albert (please stop calling me Joey Bell), Thome, Manram and Omar Vizquel (Simmons, we got one already).

The reason a deal never could get done is because Heyward think he is in the Trout/Staton level when he isn't. Talent wise he is likely just as good. Whereas those players continue to get better each year. Heyward has not progress to their level. Defensively he has surpass them. Those players bring it on offense as well.

Has anyone forgotten how thin we are in the rotation? Only reliable starters we got right now is Teheran and Wood. Minor should bounce back next year, hopefully. So 2 reiiable starters with a potential for a 3rd. Now with Shelby we are 4 deep with a very good rotation.

Then whatever Medlen and Beachy give us is bonus. Given how fragile their arms are it honestly might be best to stick them in the bullpen. Let them pitch out of there to build up their arm strength and confidence again. That 5th starter spot should likely be Hale spot since he is still healthy. It was a damn good trade that look even better the more I look at it.

What's a reasonable deal? We're some of you in the meetings? Hayward said that the Braves wouldn't even offer him a long-term extension. Once again, the Braves give away talent for an unproven Tommy John suffering pitching prospect. Screw the Braves I'm done! You give away a hometown kid to keep the Uptons? The Braves only have loyalty to the chosen few.. Good ol boys live on.. smh

• Like 1

Heyward is excellent at defense and could put up nice numbers in stretches, BUT he has horrible hitting mechanics. A big loop in his swing and that incredibly stupid bounce. He is now 25 and those issues are habitual. While I loved Heyward's potential, his offensive production just didn't justify another big contract.

Hart is going to rebuild the minors. Not only did Wren suck at free agent signings, he did an awful job at stoking the minors with pitching talent. Second, the Braves are awful at developing hitters now. Every guy we've brought up recent doesn't appear to have a clue about hitting. The organization needs a single hitting philosophy that is taught from day 1. They autally seem to do this with pitching, but the hitters are left to do what ever. I don't know if Simons will ever be a good hitter given the way he drops his hands right before his swing. That sort of mechanical issue should have been corrected in the Rookie League.

I sincerely hope that Hart will rebuild the entire organization as it is really bad right now. Heyward is only the first of what I expect to be several more trades. J-Up won't be on the time by the time Spring Training gets here. And, frankly, if they can get a nice package of prospects for Gattis you make that move as well. These next two years the Braves will be a Quad A team while they get their finances straight and build a productive minor league system.

Given that this is going to be a period like the late 1980s, I get why they kept Freddi. Let Gonzo coach a bunch of young guys and take the loses. When the team is ready to win he can be "reassigned" to another part of the organization.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Heyward is excellent at defense and could put up nice numbers in stretches, BUT he has horrible hitting mechanics. A big loop in his swing and that incredibly stupid bounce. He is now 25 and those issues are habitual. While I loved Heyward's potential, his offensive production just didn't justify another big contract.

Hart is going to rebuild the minors. Not only did Wren suck at free agent signings, he did an awful job at stoking the minors with pitching talent. Second, the Braves are awful at developing hitters now. Every guy we've brought up recent doesn't appear to have a clue about hitting. The organization needs a single hitting philosophy that is taught from day 1. They autally seem to do this with pitching, but the hitters are left to do what ever. I don't know if Simons will ever be a good hitter given the way he drops his hands right before his swing. That sort of mechanical issue should have been corrected in the Rookie League.

I sincerely hope that Hart will rebuild the entire organization as it is really bad right now. Heyward is only the first of what I expect to be several more trades. J-Up won't be on the time by the time Spring Training gets here. And, frankly, if they can get a nice package of prospects for Gattis you make that move as well. These next two years the Braves will be a Quad A team while they get their finances straight and build a productive minor league system.

Given that this is going to be a period like the late 1980s, I get why they kept Freddi. Let Gonzo coach a bunch of young guys and take the loses. When the team is ready to win he can be "reassigned" to another part of the organization.

Let Heyward play the year and test free agency.   Maybe someone outbids us but maybe not.   Why bid against ourselves and if we really don't care about this season then why not keep the fan favorite and let him decide to leave.  It's not like we brought back Greg Maddux in this trade.  

I hear you about his hitting but he's an elite defensive outfielder and a decent hitter.   I thought the same about Laroche's swing and he's still in the league hitting well (or has been after he left anyway).  And Heyward obviously has much more physical tools.   

• Moderators

Living in Cardinal's country, I have had Cardinals fans stopping by my office to thank me for the trade.  I hate seeing Heyward go but at least Miller is a good, young asset.  This feels a bit like Josh leaving Atlanta for me since I thought both guys could be lifers and stars in Atlanta and it never quite happened.

How would you guys feel if we ended up getting Lester after trading jhey

How would you guys feel if we ended up getting Lester after trading jhey

I was watching this earlier on MLB TV ...Lester meeting with Braves...I'd love it..

Lester

Teheran

Miller

Wood

Wow! Don't tease me Braves...do it. Only thing is it will cost some serious $ to get Lester here but I'm all for it. He would kick butt in the NL.

YES!!!

I don't know what to think if the Braves get Lester. I would 1, be very happy, but also confused. If you sign Lester, then wouldn't you want to keep Hayward? I guess you could see it as trading Jason and Walden for Miller, Lester, and Jenkins. That is a very nice trade. However, is there any money left to fill in the holes in the offense? The Braves still need CF and 2B, minimally. Ideally, they'd find a better 3B than Johnson.

This is turning into one strange off-season for the Braves.

• Moderators

I don't know what to think if the Braves get Lester. I would 1, be very happy, but also confused. If you sign Lester, then wouldn't you want to keep Hayward? I guess you could see it as trading Jason and Walden for Miller, Lester, and Jenkins. That is a very nice trade. However, is there any money left to fill in the holes in the offense? The Braves still need CF and 2B, minimally. Ideally, they'd find a better 3B than Johnson.

This is turning into one strange off-season for the Braves.

You mean filling the hole that is the offense

I was watching this earlier on MLB TV ...Lester meeting with Braves...I'd love it..

Lester

Teheran

Miller

Wood

Wow! Don't tease me Braves...do it. Only thing is it will cost some serious $ to get Lester here but I'm all for it. He would kick butt in the NL.

YES!!!

Man, you gotta score runs though.

Aren't you tired of sweating out 2-1 games and hoping we don't get no-hit?  Seriously, we get near no-hit like 45 times a year.  (Not 4 to 5, 45)

Aren't you tired of that cool breeze that comes from all our hitters(sic) whiffs when guys are on base?

Aren't you tired of getting shutout every time the Braves face that throw-away pitcher making his first start in the majors?

Aren't you tired of wasted pitching gems by our starters because they *gasp* gave up 2 runs and our offense(sic) can't muster up multiple hits in an inning?

Aren't you tired of getting letdown every time we have a "rally" because no one can execute a bunt, hit-and-run or any other basic baseball play?

We have been lapped by several organizations.  We were the hare in this race and have slept on this bed of "pitching" while the tortoises have passed us by.  We need a complete team to win championships.  That includes bats too.