• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Atlanta Hawks 2015 NBA Draft needs

NBASupes

PG- Fine. We have three bonafide PG’s and two have All Star potential. Dennis has superstar potential. No needs.

SG- Korver is one best of best shooters and one of the most efficient players in the NBA. Bazemore gives us depth at the position but isn’t a potential starter or rotation player. More of a player who can play 5-10 minute and defense the other team’s best player. Jenkins is a sharpshooter but doesn’t fit our defensive scheme and has limited potential in our system. SG is clearly a position we need more talent since Korver is 33 years old. Even though he has 2-3 more years left at a high level, he will be giving up ground in the future. We need to look at getting a potential starter at SG in the draft. Someone with All Star potential or better.

Guys to look at:

Mario Hezonja- He has very good potential on offense and defense. He needs to improve his offensive and defensive awareness. Very good athlete with an excellent first step. Can like to iso at times. Can be overhyped at times. Teammates currently like him and talk about his tireless work ethic. Has a NBA body at 6’8 232 and can play SG/SF.  

D’Angelo Russell- He has excellent potential on offense. He can pass, shoot, and spot up with the best of them in college. His issue is he might be too ball dominant like Hezonja is at this stage. Russell has the length but his defensive intensity needs to improve as does his body.

Caris LeVert-  Is an all around good offensive player. Can pass, shoot, and play off the ball at a high level. Has very good offensive awareness. He is a good college defender but lacks strength for the NBA at this time. He could be one of the better SG’s in this class if he develops.

R.J. Hunter and Rashard Vaughn are players I would look at with a late 1st round pick. Let’s say if we drafted at are original slot of 29th right now. They would be top prospects.

Supes comparisons:

Mario Hezonja- Gordon Hayward/Manu Ginobili. Not at feathery as Manu and not as smooth as Hayward but he’s an extremely turnt up player like Dennis can be at times. Best comparison is Nurkic attitude wise. Has a great deal of potential. Hard to see him not living up to it if he’s DEVELOPED. If he isn’t since he’s raw, he will be in for a world of trouble.

D’Angelo Russell- Steph Curry/Monta Ellis/Eric Gordon. A great scoring potential player with court vision is what Russell is. He’s physically more blessed than Curry or Ellis but doesn’t have the ball handling of Curry or the explosiveness of Ellis. He has good Basketball IQ and has high potential. He has a little pre injury Eric Gordon in him. Like Gordon, his defense in the NBA could be an issue for a couple of years. Needs development but could play early. Needs to be next to a bigger PG.

Caris LeVert- Klay Thompson System and who drafts these guys is so important. You go to the wrong system or the wrong team and you are pretty much misused and probably heading down the path of role player. That’s the case for most NBA guys but with guys like Caris who can score off the dribble but are not legit options at it early in their careers, it means a lot where they start their career.

R.J. Hunter- Dell Curry/Kyle Korver

Rashad Vaughn- Michael Redd before he developed his three point shot.

Please understand, this comparison aren’t where they are today but with proper development where they could be. Basically, best case. 

I will address SF’s PF’s, and C’s at a later post. Thank you. 

Nice writeup. Would really like to see us draft Hezonja if he's available. His athletic ability will allow him to make an easier transition than other European prospects imo.

I look at Mario like I look at Dennis. A special talent but is very raw. Depending on who drafts him can tell you how quickly he can develop.

To be more in depth:

Mario has below average BBIQ on offense and defense. He has excellent Basketball instincts which is a positive. Mario has good speed. Very good athleticism and has a very quick first jump. He has very good lateral quickness and a very good first step. His size is ample. He is very inconsistent, and should be rookie year Dennis in terms of consistency. He is said to have a 6'11 wingspan and is 232 pounds. He can play SG/SF. While he is very high on talent, he is raw on skills and actual ability. To be frank, I don't expect him to be even average next year regardless of the team. He's Kent Bazemore level right now skill wise. The thing is, his potential is ample and if you develop him slow, he can develop fast. You will here all types of comparisons for him. Joe Johnson, Manu, Hayward but truth be told. He's a special talent. The one player who I think can be elite from this draft class but he's extremely raw. At worst, he can be a potentially decent NBA player who at the least is a starter. At best, he can be special but he needs to develop slowly and I don't see him as a successful #1 option. He's a #2/#3 option at best.

At SF, DMC is a solid player who provides great overall defense from a perimeter player. He won't get that accolades because he doesn't lockdown the SF position and he doesn't play elite team defense but his overall impact defensively is very valuable. Offensively, he is a reliable player. Thabo is a great man and team defender and he does bring effort and hustle on offense. We are good at SF, especially since we can use Scott at SF as well.

At PF, we are loaded. We have Millsap, Payne who has a bright future and Scott. With Horford being the best PF on the team that helps too but he plays C for now. We are fine at this position.

At C, we are loaded. Horford, Antić, Muscala and Edy is huge for us. Edy being the one with the potential to be special as a true center and he covers our 2014-15 weaknesses. Muscala has potential to be good as well. Antić can give us minutes and Horford is a top 15 NBA player. We don't have a need for a big in the 1st round. Maybe the 2nd just to add more depth in case we lose Sap or trade Scott.

Needs: A young SG with all star or better potential to slowly faze out Korver as a SG in the future.

A true center who can defend the paint, block shots and rebound. (Edy)

A PF with potential if we don't think Payne is cutting it but from all around the team. They have a lot of faith in him and his potential.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

If we're looking for an eventual replacement for Korver ... Denver is looking to clear out pieces now ...

Is Arron Afflalo someone we would be interested in?  

What we would have to give up?  Mike Scott and Kent Bazemore?

Where would we find minutes for him this season? 

If DMC left next year, would Thabo and Korver be our SFs and Afflalo and Korver our SGs?

I wanted Afflalo in the offseason. Would be a great backup to Korver. A backcourt of Shredder and Afflalo off the bench is a stout 2nd unit. But yeah, what would Hawks have to give up for him.

Teague/Shredder

Korver/Afflalo

DMC/Thabo

Sap/Scott

Horf/Antić

That would challenge for deepest team in the NBA. 

• Premium Member

With GT and KSU being awful (again) I barely watch any college hoops. If we do luck out and get a higher pick than expected, how does this class look. Deep lottery? If not, are we better off trading our late pick for a current player?

Payne and Edy seem to be our 4/5 projects. Obviously PG isn't an issue like you said. If we avoid bpa and draft of need at the 2/3, do we go with a player that has more potential because we have time to develop him? I just can't imagine any rookie cracking our rotation.

Nice write up. I like mario the most. I see some evan fournier in him and I know the hawks were interested in him before. Its crazy the amount of depth we have.

I also wouldnt mind bringing in caris levert. His ability to create off the dribble reminds me of a taller lou williams. I think once he puts on weight, bud can turn him into a monster

Edited by skimaskway23
  • Like 1

If we're looking for an eventual replacement for Korver ... Denver is looking to clear out pieces now ...

Is Arron Afflalo someone we would be interested in?  

What we would have to give up?  Mike Scott and Kent Bazemore?

Where would we find minutes for him this season? 

If DMC left next year, would Thabo and Korver be our SFs and Afflalo and Korver our SGs?

Afflalo would be a nice grab for depth but he's at that point of his career where he is still a starter. He won't sign with us to be depth and he's not a young SG at a development price. 

Denver wants picks, most likely a 1st or future 1st. That's outside of our price range. 

With GT and KSU being awful (again) I barely watch any college hoops. If we do luck out and get a higher pick than expected, how does this class look. Deep lottery? If not, are we better off trading our late pick for a current player?

Payne and Edy seem to be our 4/5 projects. Obviously PG isn't an issue like you said. If we avoid bpa and draft of need at the 2/3, do we go with a player that has more potential because we have time to develop him? I just can't imagine any rookie cracking our rotation.

BPA is something of interest but lucky for us, this is a deep C/SG class which are positions we could look into. Now clearly, if we get a top 2 pick, Towns or Okafor will be our picks regardless. You can't pass on either one of those players. 

Good discussion. Here are my thoughts:

Herzonja and Russell won't be available to us because they'll be top 10 picks.

And I agree, I think we should address the SG/SF positions.

Devin Booker-elite shooter, good size with potential to be a good defender. Good athlete but not elite.

Justin Anderson-UVA SF-high character kid. Great defender, great athlete and a much improved offensive game.

Aaron Harrison-if he's available in the second round, I'd take him. He always steps up in big games. Good shooter with good size.

Justise Winslow- He should go lottery, but if he keeps playing like he's been playing lately (can't hit a shot), he'll either stay at Duke another year or will drop out of the lottery. I doubt he's available here, but if so, you take him.

Rashad Vaughn-Elite athlete with great scoring ability.

With how this draft is working out, I think we'll have some good options late in the draft.

Good discussion. Here are my thoughts:

Herzonja and Russell won't be available to us because they'll be top 10 picks.

And I agree, I think we should address the SG/SF positions.

Devin Booker-elite shooter, good size with potential to be a good defender. Good athlete but not elite.

Justin Anderson-UVA SF-high character kid. Great defender, great athlete and a much improved offensive game.

Aaron Harrison-if he's available in the second round, I'd take him. He always steps up in big games. Good shooter with good size.

Justise Winslow- He should go lottery, but if he keeps playing like he's been playing lately (can't hit a shot), he'll either stay at Duke another year or will drop out of the lottery. I doubt he's available here, but if so, you take him.

Rashad Vaughn-Elite athlete with great scoring ability.

With how this draft is working out, I think we'll have some good options late in the draft.

Just remember, we get to swap with the Nets. Definitely have a chance at a top 10 pick