• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Durant calls Atlanta fans bandwagoners...

volman

We have bandwagon fans on Hawksquawk...So why are people taking offense to the truth?

"Some" fans are bandwagon fans. Most fans of teams have been fans for a long time and just decide to come out again when a good product is put on the floor.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

"Some" fans are bandwagon fans. Most fans of teams have been fans for a long time and just decide to come out again when a good product is put on the floor.

No what I mean by that statement is that People here did not believe in our players.  Its basically the same product but it is finally reaching its potential because all of our main players are healthy.  Over 70% of Hawksquawkers did not believe in this team at the beginning of the season period!

nope that's not true at all. That's just how people here took what Korver said.

"It's a bit of a bummer for sure," Korver told ESPN 1000's "Chicago's GameNight" on Friday. "I love Chicago. I loved putting on a Bulls uniform. & What do you do? We learned this is a business and teams are going to make business decisions. & I'm gonna go to Atlanta and try and go out there and play well."

"I think we made a lot of ground as a team," Korver told ESPN 1000. "We've got great chemistry. I think the longer you can keep any team together the better shot you have of actually winning that golden trophy. & It's a tough thing. I think anytime you play as hard and put as much into it as we all did the last two years and you come up short, it's a tough thing to walk away from.

He would have said the same thing no matter where he was traded.Dude's just a good teamate.

That article talks about why he didn't want to leave Chicago. I've read and posted several articles where he specifically stated he didn't want to come to Atlanta and mentioned the fans as one reason. Too lazy to look for it.

nope that's not true at all. That's just how people here took what Korver said.

"It's a bit of a bummer for sure," Korver told ESPN 1000's "Chicago's GameNight" on Friday. "I love Chicago. I loved putting on a Bulls uniform. & What do you do? We learned this is a business and teams are going to make business decisions. & I'm gonna go to Atlanta and try and go out there and play well."

"I think we made a lot of ground as a team," Korver told ESPN 1000. "We've got great chemistry. I think the longer you can keep any team together the better shot you have of actually winning that golden trophy. & It's a tough thing. I think anytime you play as hard and put as much into it as we all did the last two years and you come up short, it's a tough thing to walk away from.

He would have said the same thing no matter where he was traded.Dude's just a good teamate.

Different quotes. He literally said he wasn't excited about being traded to atlanta. Went on to say he's happy to see the shift in the stands.

No what I mean by that statement is that People here did not believe in our players.  Its basically the same product but it is finally reaching its potential because all of our main players are healthy.  Over 70% of Hawksquawkers did not believe in this team at the beginning of the season period!

Didn't believe? Didn't believe that the team would make the finals..... Eastern Conference Semis or what?

I think most people expected a playoff team and that's what was reasonable.

Nope...most were trying to either sell off the team's assests or tank or both...Boy do you guys have short memories!

Well, I predicted 45 wins. I did want to tank last year. 

Most people want to get to the finals and having superstars is the best way of going about it. Even Ferry went after Paul and Howard. What we have now is plan B.

So you are by definition a bandwagon fan so quit criticizing others for have the same doubt that you had!

Doubting that you have a great team and not wanting to participate on a very regular basis but then choosing to pay close attention again when that team surprises everyone does not make you a bandwagon fan.

Edited by Azodl
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Let me spell it out to people that are pretending to be dense. Several posters on this board agreed that the Hawks were contenders at the beginning of the season...The rest of the board was borderline to overtly insulting to us convinced that there was no way that the Hawks were considered a contender. And now they want on the bandwagon...so you tell me what those kind of fans should be referred to as!

In the post game quotes. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Must be nice for OKC fans to have a consistent winner to cheer for with two (used to be 3) superstars on its roster.

He is slowly moving down the list of like able superstars for me after that.

Hate to say it, but he isn't wrong.  Not talking about fans here, but Atlanta historically has TERRIBLE turnout and only comes out to support teams when they are on winning streaks.

Can't fault him for calling a spade a spade.  It's the truth.  I'm glad there's a bandwagon to hop on though....and glad myself and good company have been riding (with a lot of empty seats) for many years/decades.

Let me spell it out to people that are pretending to be dense. Several posters on this board agreed that the Hawks were contenders at the beginning of the season...The rest of the board was borderline to overtly insulting to us convinced that there was no way that the Hawks were considered a contender. And now they want on the bandwagon...so you tell me what those kind of fans should be referred to as!

Cautious? Typical? Normal? Smart?

Bandwagon fans are generally those who had no previous/or very little interest in the team, who jump on board when the team starts winning.

Edited by Azodl
  • Like 2

• Admin

Atlanta absolutely have bandwagon fans ... the city has been notorious for not supporting the team.  It was a joke by every announcer who came here because basically fans only came to cheer on the Lebron's, Kobe's, Durant's etc.   ... It was actually embarrassing to watch games where the fans are cheering for the other team.

It often felt like a road game here for the home team.  That was when fans actually did show up.  It was also quiet as a mouse in the arena.  It was often considered to be the worst fans in the league.

The thing is that we have been putting a winning product on the floor for years and still the arena was empty (except for the playoffs).  

Now don't get me wrong ... This season has been pretty special so far and it is great that the fans are coming and cheering for the team.  This is the atmosphere we always needed.  But the fans are absolutely bandwagon fans.  

However, if they are supporting the team and filling Phillips then who cares.  There is no reason to get upset about something Durant is pointing out to be true.  He is completely right but it doesn't matter.  The support like the success is finally there.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Cautious? Typical? Normal? Smart?

Bandwagon fans are generally those who had no previous/or very little interest in the team, who jump on board when the team starts winning.

This is coming from someone with a total of 38 post!  Dude look in the mirror for a change!

This is coming from someone with a total of 38 post!  Dude look in the mirror for a change!

Just because I post infrequently on a message board doesn't mean I'm a bandwagon fan. You've gotta get it together, man.

Edited by Azodl
  • Like 2

Fans with a different opinion.

• Premium Member

Fans with a different opinion.

Which is fine but don't go jumping on the bandwagon after you were wrong pretend that you were on board all along and can't stand sports media that doesn't believe in the team as you and others once did until they started winning.

This reminds me of when Mike Bibby said the Celtic fans were bandwagon jumpers.  Didn't go down well in Boston.  But Durant said nothing bad, and I don't really disagree.  I went to games a few years ago and there were way more empty seats than fans.  You'd get out of the parking lot in 30 seconds.  Now, there are way more fans than empty seats, and it take 15 minutes just to get out of the parking lot.  (Oh, and the price of parking has doubled.....)  Those fans didn't all come to get dates on Tinder or whatever, or to just see the laser show. 

BTW - KD leaves OKC and the team starts losing, I wouldn't be surprised if before long it moves back to Seattle.

Edited by Randy